Thread: Remember Kyle Lewis?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Isn't Dansby +10 in OAA?

Have no idea which is the favored defensive metric of the moment, but if people are saying Dansby's more "solid" than Gold Glover, that wouldn't exactly put Lewis in Pache territory, would it?
    OF defense is much easier to quantify than IF defense since the vast majority of OF defense value is from catching flyballs with known hang times and landing spots. I would put almost zero stock in any IF defense metric with any more accuracy than roughly tiering guys.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-22-2020 at 06:32 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-23-2020), jpx7 (09-23-2020)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    OF defense is much easier to quantify than IF defense since the vast majority of OF defense value is from catching flyballs with known hang times and landing spots. I would put almost zero stock in any IF defense metric with any more accuracy than roughly tiering guys.
    Now THAT'S an interesting comment.

Why are IF metrics so unreliable?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

I imagine positioning plays a part way more on infield defense than OF defense.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Dansby is at -2
    Must've been DRS - saw someone post a rather high number for him in one category or another a couple days ago.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Must've been DRS - saw someone post a rather high number for him in one category or another a couple days ago.
    Yeah. DRS seems to be out of touch these days.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

While both take starting position of the fielder into account, things like arm strength and batter run speed matter much more for IFers than they do for OFers. Just getting to a grounder means a lot less for an IFer than getting to a fly ball means to an OFer.

Unless I'm mistaken (I haven't kept up on IF defensive metrics as much as I should), IF defensive plays would have to be rated based on IFer starting position, batted ball speed, batted ball position, throw accuracy, and speed of the runner. I don't think they are that sophisticated yet, but there's really no reason they couldn't be since all that data should be available from the radar tracking system (throw accuracy to 1st base is captured by trackman? No idea...).

On the other hand, OF defense is measured by starting position, hang time, and end position. Trivial to compute and compare against other similar fly balls over the large sample set, and is why OF defensive statcast metrics came out almost immediately. Remember route efficiency?

Definitely something worth looking into some more.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-24-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    While both take starting position of the fielder into account, things like arm strength and batter run speed matter much more for IFers than they do for OFers. Just getting to a grounder means a lot less for an IFer than getting to a fly ball means to an OFer.

Unless I'm mistaken (I haven't kept up on IF defensive metrics as much as I should), IF defensive plays would have to be rated based on IFer starting position, batted ball speed, batted ball position, throw accuracy, and speed of the runner. I don't think they are that sophisticated yet, but there's really no reason they couldn't be since all that data should be available from the radar tracking system (throw accuracy to 1st base is captured by trackman? No idea...).

On the other hand, OF defense is measured by starting position, hang time, and end position. Trivial to compute and compare against other similar fly balls over the large sample set, and is why OF defensive statcast metrics came out almost immediately. Remember route efficiency?

Definitely something worth looking into some more.
    From when they introduced it for infielders

The short version is that there are four primary items that affect the chance of a play being converted into an out:

• How far the fielder has to go to reach the ball ("the intercept point")
    • How much time he has to get there
    • How far he then is from the base the runner is heading to
    • On force plays, how fast the batter is, on average

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-24-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Then in that case they are probably more accurate than I gave them credit for being.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Lewis ends the year with an .800 OPS. Really slumped with a .572 OPS over the second half of the season. I'm not putting a lot of stock in 2020 stats. Pretty much every player has a stretch where things don't go right and with only 60 games, there's not much time for a rebound depending on when a player's trough hit. It's one of the reasons I'm skeptical about Duvall.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (09-27-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Lewis ends the year with an .800 OPS. Really slumped with a .572 OPS over the second half of the season. I'm not putting a lot of stock in 2020 stats. Pretty much every player has a stretch where things don't go right and with only 60 games, there's not much time for a rebound depending on when a player's trough hit. It's one of the reasons I'm skeptical about Duvall.
    Duvall is who he is. An inflated HR/FB against RHP doesn't change the outlook on him. He's a platoon guy.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    That little hot streak and the 3 homer game put Duvall in everyone's radar. Interesting point to me is that Riley and Duvall have almost exactly same measurable offense except for the 8 home run differential.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Duvall is who he is. An inflated HR/FB against RHP doesn't change the outlook on him. He's a platoon guy.
    Agree. I just think this season has had the effect of making people think he's more than that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    That little hot streak and the 3 homer game put Duvall in everyone's radar. Interesting point to me is that Riley and Duvall have almost exactly same measurable offense except for the 8 home run differential.
    He had multiple 3 homer games didn't he?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Yep. People forget he had a .696 OPS on Sept. 1. He's cooled off considerably in the last week. Hopefully not a harbinger of playoff performance. Could really use hot streak Duvall.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm confident AA understands exactly what Duvall and Riley are at this point, just like he knew exactly what Camargo was while folks were calling to "give him a chance".

I'm not confident he will have the resources to do anything about it for 2021.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-29-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I want inflated Duvall Hr/FB rate for about 15 more games.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'm confident AA understands exactly what Duvall and Riley are at this point, just like he knew exactly what Camargo was while folks were calling to "give him a chance".

I'm not confident he will have the resources to do anything about it for 2021.
    Being fair, it's at least worth mentioning that when people wanted to give him a chance this team wasn't nearly as close to being a legitimate contender as it is now.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Being fair, it's at least worth mentioning that when people wanted to give him a chance this team wasn't nearly as close to being a legitimate contender as it is now.
    people wanted him to be the FT 3B last year and called signing Donaldson a waste.
    some then also said he was only bad last year because he didn't get enough chances.
    thankfully the Braves FO knew better.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    people wanted him to be the FT 3B last year and called signing Donaldson a waste.
    some then also said he was only bad last year because he didn't get enough chances.
    thankfully the Braves FO knew better.
    Some did, sure - still no reason to speak in absolutes. Kinda like saying everyone who isn't a Braves fan pulls for the Yankees.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Some did, sure - still no reason to speak in absolutes. Kinda like saying everyone who isn't a Braves fan pulls for the Yankees.
    huh?
    who spoke in absolutes?
    you said "when people wanted to give him a chance, it's when the Braves weren't as close to legitimately contending." unless you believe heading into last year the Braves weren't legit contending, then your statement is flat wrong. unless you believe the Braves didn't head into this year as legit contenders, your statement is wrong.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg