Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Perfect timing for a bump.

Through 7 games Lewis had 0.6 fWAR

Anderson is at 0.8 fWAR right now

SJ24 wrong yet again. Who knew.
    Anderson with 1.2 bWAR as well, compared to 1.8 WAR for Lewis (strangely he has the exact same WAR for both sites).

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Moving forward, I'm still pretty sure I'd rather have Lewis than Anderson, even if "remotely competent starting pitcher" is the team's most glaring need this year.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Yeah, but Riley hit 8 bombs in his first 16 games - shouldn't we be talking about extending him?

Or maybe not.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I don’t anything has been determined between Anderson and Lewis except it was completely moronic to state that ttye .7 War was more than the 3 we have would ever put up.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Moving forward, I'm still pretty sure I'd rather have Lewis than Anderson, even if "remotely competent starting pitcher" is the team's most glaring need this year.
    In general, I'd rather have the position player. Especially one that plays a premium position. Lewis' injury history does scare me a bit for a CFer, but given the 2 choices again, I'd gladly stick with my original pick at the time, which was Lewis. I'm just glad we didn't go with Jay Groome, who the top pitcher on most everyone's list for us to take.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    It's also nice to know that the Philithies had 1:1 that draft and took a complete dud in Moniak.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (09-22-2020), Super (09-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Perfect timing for a bump.

Through 7 games Lewis had 0.6 fWAR

Anderson is at 0.8 fWAR right now

SJ24 wrong yet again. Who knew.
    Too bad you guys didn't place a wager.

I mean, he obviously wouldn't have held up his end of the deal, but you would have won.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Lewis with a rebuilt knee vs Anderson after proving the 1700 RPM breaking ball spin rate was nonsense? Not so sure about that.

Lewis without the freak injury? Yeah, I probably take Lewis, even after seeing what Anderson is right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Lewis xwOBA vs wOBA is 0, which means there's not much fluky about what's going on.

The BABIP probably won't stay at .350 long term, and the 24% HR/FB rate is almost certainly a bit high for a 92.8 mph exit velocity on FBs/LDs (Acuna's is 99.4, Ozuna's is 96.7, Freeman's is 95.2, MLB average is 92.7).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    In general, I'd rather have the position player. Especially one that plays a premium position. Lewis' injury history does scare me a bit for a CFer, but given the 2 choices again, I'd gladly stick with my original pick at the time, which was Lewis. I'm just glad we didn't go with Jay Groome, who the top pitcher on most everyone's list for us to take.
    is Lewis a CF long-term tho? i doubt it. his defense isn't great or anything.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I'd rather the Braves have a #3 starter than another OF prospect personally.

I could be persuaded otherwise, but seems like under the circumstances I'd rather have Anderson.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-22-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Lewis' power profile probably allows him to move to a corner OF if his defense can't keep him in CF. But as Enscheff points out, the exit velocity issue throws some shade on the power profile. Remains to be seen how it all plays out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Lewis has always struck me as a Jermaine Dye clone. I still think that.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Lewis with a rebuilt knee vs Anderson after proving the 1700 RPM breaking ball spin rate was nonsense? Not so sure about that.

Lewis without the freak injury? Yeah, I probably take Lewis, even after seeing what Anderson is right now.
    The knee injury makes it closer than it otherwise would be, yes. But just on a general level, I feel like sports medicine has a pretty good handle on ACL tears at this point. Obviously it's still a serious injury (I'm certainly not signing up for one), but we generally know what to expect from knee injuries and the assorted recoveries. The fact that Lewis is playing a more-or-less respectable center field four years after the injury seems to me a good sign, even if he eventually has to move to a corner. On the other hand, the mere fact of being a pitcher introduces a significant injury variable into the equation for Anderson, even though he's basically been the picture of health so far.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Long term being how long? He's already 25. SSS applies, but he doesn't appear to be a butcher either (will be interesting to see advanced metrics with a bigger sample size). I think if he stays healthy he's likely a CFer through most, if not all, of his control years before moving to a corner spot.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Long term being how long? He's already 25. SSS applies, but he doesn't appear to be a butcher either (will be interesting to see advanced metrics with a bigger sample size). I think if he stays healthy he's likely a CFer through most, if not all, of his control years before moving to a corner spot.
    SSS alert but Lewis is +2 in Outs Above Average this year

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Carp (09-22-2020), jpx7 (09-23-2020)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Seems to me the next 5 years of this franchise will largely be dependent upon 3 of the following proving they can consistently hold down rotation spots: Soroka, Fried, Anderson and Wright. I'm not completely done with Touki as a starter yet, but its getting close. If at least 3 of those can hold down spots, you can sign a FA and fill 5 with a youngster. Sort of like when they had Glavin, Smoltz and Avery, but went and signed Maddox. If Anderson and Wright both continue to post solid results this year, the Braves could ride with what they've got in 2021, adding only a vet retread to compete with the kids for a 5 spot. That would permit the bargaining stuff play out. The 2022 class has guys like Syndergaard and McCullers hitting the market.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    Seems to me the next 5 years of this franchise will largely be dependent upon 3 of the following proving they can consistently hold down rotation spots: Soroka, Fried, Anderson and Wright. I'm not completely done with Touki as a starter yet, but its getting close. If at least 3 of those can hold down spots, you can sign a FA and fill 5 with a youngster. Sort of like when they had Glavin, Smoltz and Avery, but went and signed Maddox. If Anderson and Wright both continue to post solid results this year, the Braves could ride with what they've got in 2021, adding only a vet retread to compete with the kids for a 5 spot. That would permit the bargaining stuff play out. The 2022 class has guys like Syndergaard and McCullers hitting the market.

I can't see the Braves being in a position to sign the top free agent pitcher on the market under any circumstance, but trading for one I guess is possible, though you start to wonder if the Braves have the trade equity to swing something like that, but let's watch the covid finances play out and see how it shakes out.

The one way they could splurge on a starter in free agency is if they just had an unbelievable run with their position player prospects. That would require Riley to improve drastically and have strong hits with Pache, Waters and others.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    SSS alert but Lewis is +2 in Outs Above Average this year
    Isn't Dansby +10 in OAA?

Have no idea which is the favored defensive metric of the moment, but if people are saying Dansby's more "solid" than Gold Glover, that wouldn't exactly put Lewis in Pache territory, would it?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Isn't Dansby +10 in OAA?

Have no idea which is the favored defensive metric of the moment, but if people are saying Dansby's more "solid" than Gold Glover, that wouldn't exactly put Lewis in Pache territory, would it?
    Dansby is at -2
    Last edited by thewupk; 09-22-2020 at 04:44 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-23-2020)