Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: GDT 8/1- (Happy Jerry Day) the revenge of the Touki !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Unfortunately he wasn't "ambushing" anyone. He only threw 11 of 18 first pitches for strikes - many of his early count pitches were easy to spit on because they weren't really close. Just as Frenchy was mentioning about Wright yesterday, it was far from "terrible", but all three of the young guys currently in the rotation are pitching scared - they seem to be terrified of contact no matter what pitch they're throwing. Until this gets corrected, there's almost no chance you're going to get 5 innings out of ANY of them - and their stuff is WAY to good for that.
    LOL, i feel like this is a large W for Touki.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-03-2020), jpx7 (08-03-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Four notable birthdays on August 1: Jerry Garcia, Herman Melville, Robert Cray, and me. Robert Cray and I not only share the same birth date, but the same birth year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Four notable birthdays on August 1: Jerry Garcia, Herman Melville, Robert Cray, and me. Robert Cray and I not only share the same birth date, but the same birth year.
    That Robert Cray is a lucky fella.
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Yeah. I was reading that and thought 11 or 18 first pitch strike isn’t bad and is really excellent for touki.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    That Robert Cray is a lucky fella.
    Yeah, I'm sure Robert Cray mentions the fact we have the same birthdays a lot.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2020), Tapate50 (08-03-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I believe there was plenty to build on, but we've seen this movie plenty of times before with Folty, Newk, Touki, and Wright. If a "large W" is having the last 3 slots in the rotation getting chased after 4, our pen is in a lot of trouble already.

He showed the stuff is there, no question. Wright has shown flashes at times too. I'm pretty worried about Newk because he's been bounced to the pen back-and-forth several times already and he just doesn't seem to be capable of attacking hitters as a SP at this level when he KNOWS his chances to remain one are hanging by a thread - he won't be sent to Gwinnett to work things out again, if he can't get it together in the next couple starts he's probably punched his pen ticket for good.

Maybe the plan is to get Wilson/Davidson/De La Cruz/eventually Anderson up here and try to piggyback these guys at some point. Maybe they're going to go with an Opener in one of the slots with the DH now here. I have no clue. The big thing is (IMO), you can't have these guys up against their pitch counts in the 4th inning every time out. If they keep doing that, they make it next to impossible for Snitker/AA to commit to them - you can't put yourself in a position where you burn through the entire pen on the days that Soroka and Fried aren't starting because you feel like you can't go get them on the few days either of them don't "have it" and you run the risk of burning them out.

If you were getting that out of one of those slots, you're OK - maybe even two slots for a while. It's just not manageable when you've got three guys you can't count on at all if you're a contender.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-03-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?