Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucas Sims

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Sims is a 26-year old failed SP with a 3.92 FIP and 4.14 xFIP in 7.1 IP as a RP this year.
    he's 26 and has been a decent RP in 7.1 innings. congrats guy.
    Yep and he wasn’t even drafted by Coppy. AA got rid of him as soon as he could find a taker that would give him anything. He was a horrible draft pick to begin with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yep and he wasn’t even drafted by Coppy. AA got rid of him as soon as he could find a taker that would give him anything. He was a horrible draft pick to begin with.
    I'm not sure we can say he was a horrible draft pick from the start. He was a last third of the first round pick. In that area you either take higher risk to get a higher ceiling or you take a lower ceiling to get lower risk. Sims was a risky prep arm with a high ceiling.

Also, lest we forget, Sims was hurt in that bus crash. I'm not 100% sure that didn't affect his career.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-11-2020), JohnAdcox (08-11-2020), jpx7 (08-11-2020), Metaphysicist (08-11-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm not sure we can say he was a horrible draft pick from the start. He was a last third of the first round pick. In that area you either take higher risk to get a higher ceiling or you take a lower ceiling to get lower risk. Sims was a risky prep arm with a high ceiling.

Also, lest we forget, Sims was hurt in that bus crash. I'm not 100% sure that didn't affect his career.
    Dustin Peterson was never the same after that. He has some big time helium before that point.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

Sims was drafted right around the slot where most of the scouting press had him. He certainly wasn't a reach, but like a lot of high school arms, it was a roll of the dice.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Sims was drafted right around the slot where most of the scouting press had him. He certainly wasn't a reach, but like a lot of high school arms, it was a roll of the dice.
    Correct, but it was a horrible pick because Marcus Stroman was picked right after him. Just like us picking Jason Hurst right before Aaron Judge and just like picking Braxton Davidson right before Michael Kopech and Jack Flaherty.

They were not “reaches” ....but because of who they left on the board (literally the next pick in every case)...they were horrible picks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Correct, but it was a horrible pick because Marcus Stroman was picked right after him. Just like us picking Jason Hurst right before Aaron Judge and just like picking Braxton Davidson right before Michael Kopech and Jack Flaherty.

They were not “reaches” ....but because of who they left on the board (literally the next pick in every case)...they were horrible picks.
    you can do this with like 99% of all draft picks. Sims was fine for where he was selected.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-11-2020), jpx7 (08-11-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    you can do this with like 99% of all draft picks. Sims was fine for where he was selected.
    Again not a bad pick for the spot, but a bad choice considering the options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Again not a bad pick for the spot, but a bad choice considering the options.
    In hindsight. But any draft pick that doesn't pan out is going to be a bad pick because of major leaguers picked after them. If the pick was a reach at the time and it caused us to miss someone on the board who was clearly better, that's more of an issue. Sims wasn't a reach.

I'll say I wasn't as big a fan of the Hursh pick. I thought he was a reach at the time and the fact he busted hard shows it was a bad pick.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I think most scouts had Sims with a higher ceiling provided he could reach it. I like the way Prospectus has always teamed up projected ceiling with an estimate of the percentage chance that ceiling will be reached. And folks can play "only if" with every draft, but especially in baseball. Braves drafted college 3B/1B Joe Leonard in 2010 at #101. J.T. Realmuto was taken three spots later. If anything, Stroman has surprised me for pitching as well as he has. You don't see many under-sized RHPs do as well as he has.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think most scouts had Sims with a higher ceiling provided he could reach it. I like the way Prospectus has always teamed up projected ceiling with an estimate of the percentage chance that ceiling will be reached. And folks can play "only if" with every draft, but especially in baseball. Braves drafted college 3B/1B Joe Leonard in 2010 at #101. J.T. Realmuto was taken three spots later. If anything, Stroman has surprised me for pitching as well as he has. You don't see many under-sized RHPs do as well as he has.
    I can see that with Stroman. Either way they figured out how to pick the wrong guy in the first round almost three years in a row. This does happen some...absolutely, but when you swing and miss so many times...maybe you are making poor choices. You can’t miss on your first rounder that many times close together. Those poor choices likely led up to us having to rebuild, because of the shape the farm was in.

So, yes...misses happen all the time. If you miss three out of four years, you will likely be looking for another job.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Most of those guys ARE looking for another job. There is no debate the Braves had a rough patch of drafting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Most of those guys ARE looking for another job. There is no debate the Braves had a rough patch of drafting.
    mr. wren no bueno
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    We keep blaming our GMs but Bobby and John we’re both there through the Wren and Coppy era. I suspect they had much more to do with the crappy drafts and all the pitching. I mean Cox relied on pitching for being a ‘good’ manager.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    You would at least think that wouldn’t be debated...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We keep blaming our GMs but Bobby and John we’re both there through the Wren and Coppy era. I suspect they had much more to do with the crappy drafts and all the pitching. I mean Cox relied on pitching for being a ‘good’ manager.
    I doubt it. DeMacio--brought in by Wren after Clark left--went much heavier with college guys, which was somewhat of a departure for the Braves. Coppolella went heavy with pitching, but I can distinctly remember that the Braves were desperately hoping that Taylor Trammell would drop to them. The Reds took him at #35 and the Braves then took Wentz at #40. I didn't mind the targeting of some of the top pitchers that year, but they then continued through the middle rounds of the second day to concentrate on more pitching. It was even more pronounced the previous year (2015), when the Braves took only two position players (Riley and Herbert) in the first ten rounds. I remember thinking that even though it's a crap shoot, the concentration of pitching, pitching, pitching got a tad ridiculous after awhile.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Snowman (08-14-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Lots of people, most notably you, were very outspoken that the pitcher drafting strategy was dumb.

That said, even the people that championed it, stated there would be a lot of attrition. Assuming (big if) Soroka comes back as himself, then you can argue that he and Fried represent a strong outcome from the rebuild. Getting two, really good pitchers in a 3 year rebuild is really good. For me the issue is that they can't seem to get anyone else to just be solid. They got two cashed in lottery tickets and nothing. If 1-2 of the other guys could show themselves to be solid 4s that would be huge. But no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    mr. wren no bueno
    Has Coppy/Hart’s drafts shown to be any better at this point?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Has Coppy/Hart’s drafts shown to be any better at this point?
    probably not, no.
    but i'd say less high picks were completely wasted in the latter's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    probably not, no.
    That we can agree on. I believe Minor is the only high round pick by Wren that contributed meaningful innings in the majors.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    probably not, no.
    My guess is that Coppy's three drafts probably are above average, with the caveat that they drafted high and occasionally had extra picks. the Kyle Wright draft seems light though.

I have a hard time remembering who Wren drafted and who he didn't draft.