Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GDT 8-12. The bullpen cometh

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Off season or next year, Matt Chapman seems to make too much sense for that blockbuster trade we have been expecting for a couple years now. Maybe trade for him and sign one other big name pitcher, and we could be looking pretty good next year. Left field will also be a hole but much easier to fill.
    Chapman has too much control. We'd have to empty the farm to maybe get him.

Kris Bryant is the guy that makes more sense. Even Arenado.

I'd expect someone like Jose Quintana on the patented AA 1 year deal.

Extend FF.

AA should have some money to play with next year, if Liberty isn't frightened by COVID revenues.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Chapman has too much control. We'd have to empty the farm to maybe get him.

Kris Bryant is the guy that makes more sense. Even Arenado.

I'd expect someone like Jose Quintana on the patented AA 1 year deal.

Extend FF.

AA should have some money to play with next year, if Liberty isn't frightened by COVID revenues.

Seagar or Turner makes the most sense to me if they are looking for full time starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Seagar or Turner makes the most sense to me if they are looking for full time starter.
    I agree on seagar. Depends on if you think he's back to hitting. North of 30 and pretty solid money. Turner has been pretty clear in the past he wants to be a dodger. I don't see him coming to the east coast, he'd rather retire. Could be very wrong though, it's just a guess.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I think Riley will be slapping 40 dingers and hitting .300 by next year. I also think Touki, and Wright will both be 20 win pitchers.

...ok?....problem solved!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Seager is a prime trade candidate, maybe as early as next week. I'm not sure why the 3B experiment has continued this long, but it should be over now.

If Bauer is truly looking for 1 year deals, I expect AA to be all over that this off season.

There are probably quite a few SPs AA can target at the deadline, and I expect him to get a couple.

The moron who says the OF is still unsettled is....a moron. The mix out there is perfectly productive enough, especially if Ender snaps out of it.

This season is just as good an opportunity as any other to make a push for the playoffs. Unless this particular flag doesn't fly forever? I never quite understood that concept, so I could be wrong and this flag only flies temporarily.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-13-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    This flag needs a booster shot every three months to remain flying

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I’d gotta believe Bauer isn’t getting shot in the nuts by a paintball gun. One year deals only.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Seager has long been my favorite (once Moustakas signed) - the question is will (or more to the point can) AA take the money so he doesn't have to climb particularly high up the prospect list?

The $18 million he's owed for 2021 is easily covered with Melancon and Flowers coming off the books. Even if you're going to promote BOTH Pache and Waters at the beginning of 2021, you're still going to have money issues. You're still looking for a RH bat with pop to hit behind Freddie (ideally), and that's going to have to be someone really cheap (unless you're going to move Acuna down and hit Ozzie and Dansby 1-2 in some order) if you also want to make a play for Bauer.

Hamels, Folty, Markakis, and Greene gone gives you ~ $34 million - that won't be enough to make Bauer answer the phone.

In my ideal world, you somehow get Seattle to eat $5 million a year of Seager's money. Riley and which arm does that? Now you're in the ballpark for Bauer.

Bring back Duvall and Camargo as your 4th OF/DH and super utility guys (Camargo becomes the 5th OF) and Duvall could hit behind Freddie if you don't move Acuna or d'Arnaud/Contreras there. Pray that you can get someone to take on half of Ender's money so you can pay for some of the raises with that money and from declining O'Day's option.

Acuna, Ozzie, Freddie, Duvall, Seager, d'Arnaud/Contreras, Dansby, Waters, Pache (Contreras/d'Arnaud, Camargo, Shewmake, ???)

Bauer, Fried, Soroka, Wright, Touki (Anderson/Wright/Davidson/Muller)

Smith, Martin, Minter, Jackson, Matzek, Weigel, Newk, Wilson, Sobotka (Pfeifer/De La Cruz/Webb/Walker)

I'd be willing to roll those dice in the final year of Freddie's deal since I think that group would have a legitimate shot, but I've always been part of the flags fly forever crowd.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-13-2020 at 01:16 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Seager is a prime trade candidate, maybe as early as next week. I'm not sure why the 3B experiment has continued this long, but it should be over now.

If Bauer is truly looking for 1 year deals, I expect AA to be all over that this off season.

There are probably quite a few SPs AA can target at the deadline, and I expect him to get a couple.

The moron who says the OF is still unsettled is....a moron. The mix out there is perfectly productive enough, especially if Ender snaps out of it.

This season is just as good an opportunity as any other to make a push for the playoffs. Unless this particular flag doesn't fly forever? I never quite understood that concept, so I could be wrong and this flag only flies temporarily.
    Trading this year is hard b/c we can only trade people on the 60 man or whatever. I don't want to give up most of those guys.

If we trade for an impact guy and have to give up a Wilson, ok. Unless we can get away with at PTBNL I think doing a deal like the Gausman deal is tough given the guys in Gwinnett are mostly legit guys.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Would Seattle be interested in Ender at all? Maybe a gamble with talent like Newcomb?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Trading this year is hard b/c we can only trade people on the 60 man or whatever. I don't want to give up most of those guys.

If we trade for an impact guy and have to give up a Wilson, ok. Unless we can get away with at PTBNL I think doing a deal like the Gausman deal is tough given the guys in Gwinnett are mostly legit guys.
    Pure speculation, but I suspect the most valuable trade chips this year will be cheap MLB ready players with lots of control because they are known quantities for other MLB teams. Guys like Wilson. Guys like Camargo. Maybe even Riley.

I think AA can flip those types of assets into proven MLB talent with little control because teams will be looking to flip 30 games of an asset into future value. Since they can’t exactly scout prospects right now, it will be nearly impossible for other teams to value those assets.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-13-2020 at 02:29 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    This flag needs a booster shot every three months to remain flying
    i thought that's what the blue pills were for
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

drewdat (08-13-2020), NinersSBChamps (08-13-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Pure speculation, but I suspect the most valuable trade chips this year will be cheap MLB ready players with lots of control because they are known quantities for other MLB teams. Guys like Wilson. Guys like Camargo. Maybe even Riley.

I think AA can flip those types of assets into proven MLB talent with little control because teams will be looking to flip 30 games of an asset into future value. Since they can’t exactly scout prospects right now, it will be nearly impossible for other teams to value those assets.
    That's where I was leaning, but does a Wilson/Riley combination net you Seager? Even if it does the 2021 finances become questionable IF you're going to target Bauer. He (Bauer) isn't the only option - particularly if you believe Soroka will make it back without issue and he and Fried can front the rotation - just the sexiest.

If AA were to continue following the smarter/safer route, I'd still love to see a Wilson and Riley for Seager deal. Then you can target someone from the Odorizzi/Paxton/Stroman/DeSclafani crowd for the rotation and potentially still have enough money to add a Justin Turner/Todd Frazier-type to hit between Freeman and Seager.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

Scouting prospects may be come easier if this is enacted.

From MLBTR

Major League Baseball is developing a plan to allow interested teams to share information about players participating in alternate training sites. Kiley McDaniel of ESPN.com reported the news (Twitter links), noting that it has not yet been initiated.

At this point, it appears that about twenty of MLB’s thirty teams will participate in the initiative. They’ll have the chance to share both data recordings and video. It’s intended to help teams assess players in the absence of games or any in-person scouting.

It stands to reason that this effort will help increase the potential for summer trades. Teams typically gather information right up until the mid-season trade deadline, but there’s a near-dearth of that activity at the moment except for players actually playing in the majors.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    That's where I was leaning, but does a Wilson/Riley combination net you Seager? Even if it does the 2021 finances become questionable IF you're going to target Bauer. He (Bauer) isn't the only option - particularly if you believe Soroka will make it back without issue and he and Fried can front the rotation - just the sexiest.

If AA were to continue following the smarter/safer route, I'd still love to see a Wilson and Riley for Seager deal. Then you can target someone from the Odorizzi/Paxton/Stroman/DeSclafani crowd for the rotation and potentially still have enough money to add a Justin Turner/Todd Frazier-type to hit between Freeman and Seager.

Assuming Seagar is the same 2-3 win players he's been most years, he shouldn't be a particularly difficult asset to acquire. Course the Mariners are strange so you never know.

The biggest question to me is how much money does Alex have to add.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

If we can move one or two of our AAAA starters (Wilson is at the top of the list for me) or Comargo/Riley for a controllable 2+ win player...That would be amazing.

Seager is a left handed bat that is owed a lot of money on a bad team. Teams may be very scared to spend money next year. If we can get him cheap, that is worth doing. I'd pay all of the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Seager has long been my favorite (once Moustakas signed) - the question is will (or more to the point can) AA take the money so he doesn't have to climb particularly high up the prospect list?

The $18 million he's owed for 2021 is easily covered with Melancon and Flowers coming off the books. Even if you're going to promote BOTH Pache and Waters at the beginning of 2021, you're still going to have money issues. You're still looking for a RH bat with pop to hit behind Freddie (ideally), and that's going to have to be someone really cheap (unless you're going to move Acuna down and hit Ozzie and Dansby 1-2 in some order) if you also want to make a play for Bauer.

Hamels, Folty, Markakis, and Greene gone gives you ~ $34 million - that won't be enough to make Bauer answer the phone.

In my ideal world, you somehow get Seattle to eat $5 million a year of Seager's money. Riley and which arm does that? Now you're in the ballpark for Bauer.

Bring back Duvall and Camargo as your 4th OF/DH and super utility guys (Camargo becomes the 5th OF) and Duvall could hit behind Freddie if you don't move Acuna or d'Arnaud/Contreras there. Pray that you can get someone to take on half of Ender's money so you can pay for some of the raises with that money and from declining O'Day's option.

Acuna, Ozzie, Freddie, Duvall, Seager, d'Arnaud/Contreras, Dansby, Waters, Pache (Contreras/d'Arnaud, Camargo, Shewmake, ???)

Smith, Martin, Minter, Jackson, Matzek, Weigel, Newk, Wilson, Sobotka (Pfeifer/De La Cruz/Webb/Walker)

I'd be willing to roll those dice in the final year of Freddie's deal since I think that group would have a legitimate shot, but I've always been part of the flags fly forever crowd.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but is Bauer not picking up the phone for 30+ million? I know a one year deal should have a higher annual value, but what are you projecting him to do? He has one monster season at 5.8 WAR. Otherwise he looks like a 2-3 win pitcher to me. You'd have to expect him to be a 5 win or more pitcher for 30+ million.

Stroman has a history with AA but it will take a multi year deal.

I think Hamels, Folty, Neck and Greene will be gone. Flowers may go as well given how well Contreras looked. They may want him to get his feet wet with D'Arnaud before D'A's contract runs out.

If you can get Ozuna to sign on to be DH (if there is a DH) at a similar number he could man the OF enough to get an extra year of Waters (2/40 with club option?). Keeping Duval at a reasonable number would be great too.

Pitcher is going to be tough. I don't think you can count on Soroka being back. And if he's back, you can't count on him being himself. I think they have to sign two pitchers at a minimum, but maybe they'll go with the scrap heap and/or prove it deal. I still think Jose Quintana looks like an AA one year guy.

I would bet a lot of money they'll extend FF. The only thing that holds me back from it being a lock is COVID and Liberty's finances. I just see a 4/100 deal to take him to 35. Especially with the DH being an option.

Maybe the thing holding him back from a multiyear 3B option is Lindor. In a non-COVID non-rotation disaster I think AA would be all in on Lindor. Impact guy. 1 year of control. Dream about the marketing around the fun Lindor, Albies and Acuna would play with in the middle of the diamond. You could deal with Riley at 3B and struggles from rookies like Pache and Waters with Lindor at SS.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    "I'm not saying you're wrong, but is Bauer not picking up the phone for 30+ million? I know a one year deal should have a higher annual value, but what are you projecting him to do? He has one monster season at 5.8 WAR. Otherwise he looks like a 2-3 win pitcher to me. You'd have to expect him to be a 5 win or more pitcher for 30+ million."

Cole and Strasburg both got $35 million+ AAV deals for 7 or more years last winter, Price got $31 million AAV for 7 years when he signed, Kershaw's extension was for $31 million AAV for 3 years, Sale's extension was for $29 million AAV for 5 years, Greinke's deal is $34+ million AAV for 6 years, Scherzer's deal is $30 million AAV for 7 years.

If Bauer is actually willing to take short-term deals I don't think he'll answer the phone if you offer less than $35 million AAV, no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    "I'm not saying you're wrong, but is Bauer not picking up the phone for 30+ million? I know a one year deal should have a higher annual value, but what are you projecting him to do? He has one monster season at 5.8 WAR. Otherwise he looks like a 2-3 win pitcher to me. You'd have to expect him to be a 5 win or more pitcher for 30+ million."

Cole and Strasburg both got $35 million+ AAV deals for 7 or more years last winter, Price got $31 million AAV for 7 years when he signed, Kershaw's extension was for $31 million AAV for 3 years, Sale's extension was for $29 million AAV for 5 years, Greinke's deal is $34+ million AAV for 6 years, Scherzer's deal is $30 million AAV for 7 years.

If Bauer is actually willing to take short-term deals I don't think he'll answer the phone if you offer less than $35 million AAV, no.
    But all those guys are in another class than Bauer. Those are guys you expect to be 5 war when signed.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I doubt we are spending much this winter. What I was afraid of last year is happening this year. The team is up to there eyeballs in debt with the battery and now the battery isn’t as busy as it should be. I am not optimistic about a big spending off season
    Coppy