Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Trade Deadline Thread

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Toronto just acquired Walker apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Walker to the Blue Jays
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Dero's latest...

Braves Get:
    Seager and Walker

Mariners Get:
    Touki and Contreras

Make it Langeliers and I'm all-in. If they're getting Contreras we need significant money back. Make it Touki and Riley and I'd take all of Seager's money and figure out what to do.
    Langeliers is a higher ranked prospect than Contreras and either would be too much to give. I would add Jackson instead (who has actually been upgraded because of his improved defense and was almost in the Greene trade last year).

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Taijuan Walker dealt. Cross him off our list.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Walker to the Jays.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Hey guys has Walker been dealt to the Blue Jays?
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (08-27-2020), JohnAdcox (08-27-2020), jpx7 (08-27-2020), thewupk (08-27-2020), UNCBlue012 (08-27-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    really don't want to give up Langeliers or Contreras. Alex Jackson is the guy i'd most want to deal, but i'm assuming Seattle doesn't want to entertain that idea again.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Looks like someone not on their 60 man player pool. So do they wait till end of season to name that player or do they have to add that player and then name them. Not sure how that works.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Langeliers is a higher ranked prospect than Contreras and either would be too much to give. I would add Jackson instead (who has actually been upgraded because of his improved defense and was almost in the Greene trade last year).
    Langeliers is ranked higher - with the flashy outlets - because of a bit of prospect fatigue with Contreras on their end. Langeliers is flashier and buzzier because he hasn't been around as long, Check your lists - FanGraphs has Contreras at the top.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Langeliers is ranked higher - with the flashy outlets - because of a bit of prospect fatigue with Contreras on their end. Langeliers is flashier and buzzier because he hasn't been around as long, Check your lists - FanGraphs has Contreras at the top.
    i'm not sure who i'd rather keep tbh. catchers are weird, so probably both.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    The only way I'd want to trade either catcher is if the Mariners pay all of Seager's money.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Dero's latest...

Braves Get:
    Seager and Walker

Mariners Get:
    Touki and Contreras

Make it Langeliers and I'm all-in. If they're getting Contreras we need significant money back. Make it Touki and Riley and I'd take all of Seager's money and figure out what to do.
    Walker has been traded so that won't happen now obviously, but that deal sucks for us. Walker isn't good and Seager has a massive contract that actually gets worse if he's traded. Giving up Contreras and Touki for that would be crazy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm not sure who i'd rather keep tbh. catchers are weird, so probably both.
    I feel like Alex and I have been on the same page with trades. I have a hard time justifying giving up anything that I'm particularly hopeful about for a bad contract or a rental or a mediocre player.

We might part ways in that I would be perfectly happy to trade premium prospects for premium players that are perfect fits. Somebody like Matt Chapman or I don't the pitching equivalent...Cleveinger say ... and I'd happily pack up Pache or Waters, Langeliers or Contreras, and most anyone else.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The only way I'd want to trade either catcher is if the Mariners pay all of Seager's money.
    Then you won't have any offense at 3B for a good while.

You trade from depth to strengthen weaknesses. d'Arnaud is under contract next year and you'd still have Contreras or Langeliers, with A-Jax and Brown as inexpensive backups for several years in the event whichever one you don't trade gets you back into a 65/70% split (which I could easily see happening). Contreras' bat is good enough that he might even get some DH ABs on days off.

Enscheff has quite clearly laid out the fact that Riley IS improving, but those improvements simply aren't going to be enough for him to turn into a shell of what everyone hopes. It's a lot easier to find a competent Catcher to share time with Contreras starting in 2022 for a lot less money than finding a middle-of-the-order 3B bat will be.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I like them both. Either one is probably in our top ten and too much give up for an older player that we are taking on a big contract. Those types of guys shouldn’t be that expensive.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I feel like Alex and I have been on the same page with trades. I have a hard time justifying giving up anything that I'm particularly hopeful about for a bad contract or a rental or a mediocre player.

We might part ways in that I would be perfectly happy to trade premium prospects for premium players that are perfect fits. Somebody like Matt Chapman or I don't the pitching equivalent...Cleveinger say ... and I'd happily pack up Pache or Waters, Langeliers or Contreras, and most anyone else.
    i don't think it would require Contreras or Langeliers to get Seager.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-27-2020), JohnAdcox (08-27-2020), jpx7 (08-27-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i don't think it would require Contreras or Langeliers to get Seager.
    It shouldn't by any stretch - if it does I'm sure AA would probably say "thanks but no thanks".

The reason Dero mentioned Contreras in the deal is that we'd have also gotten what we need much more - a SP. Touki alone might be enough to get you Seager if they want to unload his money (or the vast majority of it), but he might not have been as good as the players Seattle's going to be picking from for Walker. Toronto's #6-#10 prospects aren't in their 60-Man pool, and their clocks haven't started - so they could all be dealt as PTBNLs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Walkers out, let’s move on
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting point Verducci just made on High Heat...

Since 2016, no team has made it to the World Series with a pitching staff that didn't finish in the top 4 in Ks in their league.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Interesting point Verducci just made on High Heat...

Since 2016, no team has made it to the World Series with a pitching staff that didn't finish in the top 4 in Ks in their league.
    that's not a very long time period.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2020)