Page 1 of 240 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 4782

Thread: Some Red State/Blue State Indicia

  1. #1
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts

    Some Red State/Blue State Indicia

    Hightest teen birth rate: Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas, Tennessee, New Mexico, Alabama

    Lowest teen birth rate: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, Minnesota, New Jersey, Maine, Rhode Island, New York, Washington
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  2. #2
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    The bottom 10 in per capita income: West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee. Red states, with the exception of New Mexico.

    The top 10: Maryland, New Jersey, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Connecticut, California, New Hampshire, Alaska, Washington, Virginia
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  3. #3
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Moving on to life expectancy:

    The top 5: Hawaii, California, New York, Minnesota, Connecticut

    The bottom 5: West Virginia, Mississippi, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  4. #4
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Highest suicide rates: Montana, Alaska, Wyoming, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah, West Virginia, South Dakota, Arkansas

    Highest incarceration rates: Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  5. #5
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    10 best educated states: Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, Vermont, Colorado, Virginia, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Washington, New Jersey

    10 least well educated states: Mississippi, West Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Kentucky, Nevada, Tennessee, Oklahoma, New Mexico

    source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/the-...s-in-2018.html
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-25-2020 at 10:55 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  6. #6
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    States getting the most and least from Uncle Sam (funds allocated to that state minus taxes paid)

    Most: Virginia, Kentucky, New Mexico, West Virginia, Alaska, Mississippi, Alabama, Maryland, Maine, Hawaii

    Least: Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Illinois, New Hampshire, Washington, Nebraska, Colorado

    Source: https://247wallst.com/special-report...-uncle-sam/10/
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  7. #7
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    10 most beautiful states: California, Hawaii, Alaska, Utah, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, Michigan

    10 least beautiful states: Kansas, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Ohio, New Jersey

    source: https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/...key-to-success
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  8. #8
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    39,009
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    408
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,437
    Thanked in
    3,794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Hightest teen birth rate: Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas, Tennessee, New Mexico, Alabama

    Lowest teen birth rate: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, Minnesota, New Jersey, Maine, Rhode Island, New York, Washington
    Highest teen abortion rate: NY, DE, NJ, HI, MD, CT, NV, CA, FL, AK

    I'll gladly be on highest teen birth rate than teen abortion rate.

    https://www.thoughtco.com/states-with-highest-teenage-abortion-rates-3533770#:~:text=%20%20%20Rank%20%20%20State%20,%20 %2023%20%206%20more%20rows%20

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (10-07-2020), Tapate50 (09-02-2022)

  10. #9
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'll gladly be on highest teen birth rate than teen abortion rate.
    agree
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  11. #10
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,328
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    765
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The bottom 10 in per capita income: West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee. Red states, with the exception of New Mexico.

    The top 10: Maryland, New Jersey, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Connecticut, California, New Hampshire, Alaska, Washington, Virginia
    Real (adjusted for cost of living) or nominal?

  12. #11
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Real (adjusted for cost of living) or nominal?
    nominal...good point

    you might find this study that looks at living standards adjusted by things like cost of housing interesting

    https://www.federalreserve.gov/econr...a-20200528.htm

    top 10: MN, MA, ND, CT, SD, NH, NE, NJ, NY, VT

    bottom 10: MS, AL, OK, LA, AR, KY, TN, WV, SC, GA
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-25-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  13. #12
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    39,009
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    408
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,437
    Thanked in
    3,794 Posts
    Now on to the most important topic... where is the best college football played? Haha

  14. #13
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Now on to the most important topic... where is the best college football played? Haha
    college football is a religion in the south
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  15. #14
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    39,009
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    408
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,437
    Thanked in
    3,794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    college football is a religion in the south
    And only 25% of the worshippers will be allowed in the temple

  16. #15
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    shoulda listened to Coach Saban and Big Al
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  17. #16
    It's OVER 5,000! striker42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,688
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    389
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,208
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    I feel like there's a common root cause as to why some states consistently rank higher in health, education, wealth, etc. The difference is cycles of poverty. Think about it. Wealthier people have better access to healthcare and education, they usually were taught better by parents how to handle money and the importance of education. Conversely, those in poverty have less access to healthcare and education. They also don't know how to teach their children to handle money and often don't value education so they don't instill a value of education in their children. People born into wealth tend to be wealthier and those born into poverty tend to stay poorer.

    More rural and more agrarian states have horrible problems with people being trapped in a cycle of poverty. As do states with larger minority populations. And this is a problem that has been going on for well over 100 years. It's a difficult problem to fix and one that will take generations.

  18. #17
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I feel like there's a common root cause as to why some states consistently rank higher in health, education, wealth, etc. The difference is cycles of poverty. Think about it. Wealthier people have better access to healthcare and education, they usually were taught better by parents how to handle money and the importance of education. Conversely, those in poverty have less access to healthcare and education. They also don't know how to teach their children to handle money and often don't value education so they don't instill a value of education in their children. People born into wealth tend to be wealthier and those born into poverty tend to stay poorer.

    More rural and more agrarian states have horrible problems with people being trapped in a cycle of poverty. As do states with larger minority populations. And this is a problem that has been going on for well over 100 years. It's a difficult problem to fix and one that will take generations.
    so it isn't red state policies? based on values like freedom? free to be dumb, poor and uneducated? I will have to make a field trip sometime to evaluate my theories...haven't been to oklahoma or arkansas lately
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-26-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  19. #18
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

  20. #19
    It's OVER 5,000! Runnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,419
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,947
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Highest teen abortion rate: NY, DE, NJ, HI, MD, CT, NV, CA, FL, AK

    I'll gladly be on highest teen birth rate than teen abortion rate.

    https://www.thoughtco.com/states-wit...more%20rows%20
    Convince me you care about teen abortions.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

    goldfly (09-12-2020)

  22. #20
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    48,067
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,705
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11,396
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    To clarity, there is nothing inherently wrong with the federal fiscal system being a sort of transfer system from richer blue states to poorer red ones. We're not even expecting a thank you note.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

    "I am your retribution."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •