Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Anderson's stuff

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Umm, Max Fried has elite spin on his breaking stuff. It is literally the key to his dominance.

I agree with you on Anderson though. Once the velocity starts to wane, he is done as a MLB pitcher. Since that tends to happen almost immediately, the Braves need to use him up while they can.
    I thought you were saying the lack of spin on his fastball makes it difficult for him to add a breaking pitch. But he's got 2 plus breaking pitches. Maybe I was confused.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Some of his change ups were flat at 89. Some dropped at 87ish. Wonder if he throws 2 different changeups.
    These charts show all those scatter plots.

I don't see anything that suggests more than 3 pitches, just the normal variance of good ones and not so good ones scattered all over.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ia...0&dh=0&data=pi

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Some of his change ups were flat at 89. Some dropped at 87ish. Wonder if he throws 2 different changeups.
    Hmm... here's some more "eye test" stuff that might betray the data that Enscheff put together. If my fastball was a good riser and my arm slot didn't allow me to have a lot of lateral movement, I'd certainly incorporate a flatter change and something with some more sink to fit the situation.

I would guess that Statcast grouped these pitches together and this might be why the sink was rated so low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    I thought you were saying the lack of spin on his fastball makes it difficult for him to add a breaking pitch. But he's got 2 plus breaking pitches. Maybe I was confused.
    No, the issue is that his over the top arm slot lends itself to fastball rise and not lateral movement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Has Fried's stuff taken a step forward this year or is it improved command in the strike zone and throwing more sliders that has made him a better pitcher? Probably the latter half. Righties just haven't been able to square up his fastball in. I think last year he stayed away to righties a lot more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    These charts show all those scatter plots.

I don't see anything that suggests more than 3 pitches, just the normal variance of good ones and not so good ones scattered all over.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ia...0&dh=0&data=pi
    Could be that, too. Hopefully as he gets better he can get more of that 87 dropper and not the 89 slow fastball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    No, the issue is that his over the top arm slot lends itself to fastball rise and not lateral movement.
    Was talking about Fried who also has suboptimal spin on fastball but 2 plus breakers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Fried has bad spin rates on his FA, which is why it's a SI now. It took a while for that change to happen, but it needed to happen, and was evident from day 1. His spin rates on the breaking stuff is elite, and he parlayed that into adding a killer SL along with the CU. It is a perfect example of taking tremendous raw skill and creating a great pitcher.

Anderson just gets poor spin on everything. His over the top arm slot sacrifices horizontal movement to get vertical movement, and that makes the FA work as a riser. It's almost like an OFer throwing motion to get pure backspin so his throws carry straight rather than fade to the side.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2020), Super (08-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Has Fried's stuff taken a step forward this year or is it improved command in the strike zone and throwing more sliders that has made him a better pitcher? Probably the latter half. Righties just haven't been able to square up his fastball in. I think last year he stayed away to righties a lot more.
    I think he's just getting better and more experienced which is benefiting him across the board. His command looks better and I do think the increased slider usage to RHHs has made his fastball play up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    He is mostly the same guy as last year, so probably better location and execution.

Fried is right in that sweet spot where his stuff isn't yet declining, but his pitchability is peaking. This is peak Fried, and it's awesome.

I mean seriously, 12" of drop on that CU is downright filthy. It is quite possibly the best CU in baseball.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2020), UNCBlue012 (08-27-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I thought some Astros guys improved spin rates. And Bauer said it was impossible without using foreign substances. And twitter fights ensued.

Thanks for doing these.

There was a great tweet from pitching ninja showing the tunneling of the fastball and change up. It was spot on. I think he is getting good results b/c he has good velocity with rise on the FB and control of a tunneled Change with some sink.

I liked how low effort the delivery was. Seemed long and lanky but repeated it.

I didn't see world beater stuff. The analysis did not suggest that. I worry what the results will be when more data and video is available on him.

After reading this I am even more glad we called him up. He is clearly better than what we have now. Is at least a great number 5 starter for a long time. I worry with this arsenal if he loses even a little velocity that he will lose his effectiveness big time. So I'm really glad he is up at 22, because you never know when that velocity is going to slip.
    Another reason to wish this would have been a full season. If the rotation would have imploded in April instead of August we'd probably have had a chance to see Weigel, Davidson, De La Cruz, and potentially even Muller get a shot before AA has to decide on just how much he has to give up for a MOR arm.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Can you name a single pitcher who used "deception" to have success for more than a few starts?
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. What I meant by deception was like Alex Wood for example. His unorthodox mechanics allow him to hide the ball for longer, so the ball appears to be on the hitter sooner than someone with normal mechanics. Obviously Ian doesn't have the same strange style. But just wondering if a pitcher can not only survive, but thrive, but having a deceptive delivery that makes their stuff harder to pick up.

Here is an article I found about Wood's mechanics and the deception that allows him to be hard to pick up.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...hanics-lol-wtf

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Reddit posted a link to a site with gif of Anderson’s game. It is a good eye test recap. After looking I think his change is more execution. There was one 89 that dropped and some 87 flat. The last pitch he threw was 86 and just dropped off the table. His curve is scary to the eye test. Looks like a hanging slider. When located it can be effective I guess.

Here is the link.
    https://www.pitcherlist.com/gif-brea...ut-in-32-gifs/
    Coppy

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    cutter

no seriously...Split
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 08-27-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Don't think that was it.

Would guess that answer would depend on what you get in return. Does he get you Lynn straight-up? Would he and Riley get you Devers or Seager and Gonzales plus some cash?
    Dems jokes.
    Ivermectin Man

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-27-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. What I meant by deception was like Alex Wood for example. His unorthodox mechanics allow him to hide the ball for longer, so the ball appears to be on the hitter sooner than someone with normal mechanics. Obviously Ian doesn't have the same strange style. But just wondering if a pitcher can not only survive, but thrive, but having a deceptive delivery that makes their stuff harder to pick up.

Here is an article I found about Wood's mechanics and the deception that allows him to be hard to pick up.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...hanics-lol-wtf
    I think it needs to be pointed out that in Wood's spectacular half season of 2017, he added a four-seamer with a couple more ticks than his two-seamer. That basically made him golden. Problem is, the increased velocity wore him down and he went back to the two-seamer almost exclusively. It made him mortal again.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Klaw chat today

He had the opinion he wasn’t impressed with Anderson. Loved plan of attack and control. Said none of his pitches looked plus.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Loved the description of him as smart and competitive. Same description of Soroka when he came up. We're full up with kids that can spin it, but don't seem to have a plan or believe in their stuff.

Looked to me like Ian's head makes his stuff play up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Klaw chat today

He had the opinion he wasn’t impressed with Anderson. Loved plan of attack and control. Said none of his pitches looked plus.
    The FA is probably plus, but I mostly agree. He’s more 4 than TOR, or even MOR. However, on a team with exactly 1 SP, that’s quite valuable.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-28-2020), jpx7 (08-28-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Can you name a single pitcher who used "deception" to have success for more than a few starts?
    Only deception? None. But Dontrelle Willis and Alex Wood come to mind as guys who had success in part due to deception. Of course they also had unique deliveries and were LHP.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-28-2020)