Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Anderson's stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Here's an unbiased take in Ian Anderson. Mind you it's from a fantasy perspective, but I thought the analysis was interesting nonetheless

https://razzball.com/can-ian-anderso...arter-in-2021/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-17-2020)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    This thread got weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Here's an unbiased take in Ian Anderson. Mind you it's from a fantasy perspective, but I thought the analysis was interesting nonetheless

This guy mentions the below average spin rate but seems to dismiss it. He seems to just assume he'll keep getting the same results on his pitches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Rabble rabble rabble spin rate
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    There are serious red flags in Anderson's numbers...

.182 BABIP against is clearly unsustainable.

82.5% LOB% is clearly unsustainable.

7.7% HR/FB rate is clearly unsustainable.

4.09 BB/9 is barely acceptable for a SP.

Ian Anderson is undoubtedly an MLB SP, but his 1.64 ERA is largely an illusion. FIP and xFIP peg him as more of a 3.0-3.5 ERA guy, and once all those unsustainable stats regress that's probably what we will see.

Of course, an ERA in the 3.0-3.5 range is still very good...he just isn't Max Fried, or probably even Soroka.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-25-2020), jpx7 (09-18-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Ian Anderson is undoubtedly an MLB SP, but his 1.64 ERA is largely an illusion. FIP and xFIP peg him as more of a 3.0-3.5 ERA guy, and once all those unsustainable stats regress that's probably what we will see.

Of course, an ERA in the 3.0-3.5 range is still very good...he just isn't Max Fried, or probably even Soroka.
    I’ll take that all day e’ry day.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-18-2020), JohnAdcox (09-25-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

you've been on it. I think we have agreement by most on the board.

I'd love to have him as my 4 with upside to be better long term. Lots of upside in any game that he could put it all together and pitch like a stud.

IF we can find a way to land a Bauer or even a Stroman, then I like the pitching next year.

New Guy, Fried, Soroka, Anderson, Wright. Let Wright be the fifth starter. I think he'll frustrate but let him work and I think he'll be a very good 5 over an entire season sample. The Braves will always add one vetran starter reclamation project for 1 million to compete. That scrap heap guy has turned out be be useful most years. Scrap heap can make Wright work and maybe serve as Soroka insurance.

It's not a scary group, but i think it would be a very good group of starters.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post

Don't know Hobbs personally, but be careful how much weight you give to Razzball analysis - I used to write for them.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

drewdat (09-18-2020), JohnAdcox (09-25-2020), jpx7 (09-18-2020), TURBO (09-19-2020), zbhargrove (09-19-2020)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Don't know Hobbs personally, but be careful how much weight you give to Razzball analysis - I used to write for them.
    If that isn't a ****ing ringing endorsement, I don't know what is.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-25-2020), jpx7 (09-18-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Has anyone graded Yona pitches yet. Haven’t seen him outside of some highlights. But a guy with 98 and a sharp slider has to be somewhat intriguing.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think folks are exaggerating Ynoa’s stuff a bit. That type of velocity simply isn’t special anymore.

His 95.1 on the FA is pretty standard, and it has mediocre rise at 8”. Just good enough to be good. For reference, Anderson’s is 95.0 with 9.4” of rise, and is plus.

The SL is also mediocre that’s a downer more so than a vertical mover, and the CH is very rarely used.

It’s a typical BP profile for the most part so far.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-18-2020 at 05:10 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-18-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Oh I know. He's just an amateur. I've read his stuff for years. But this article was very in depth and covered it pretty well from an outsiders perspective. Not saying it's the bible.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I think folks are exaggerating Ynoa’s stuff a bit. That type of velocity simply isn’t special anymore.

His 95.1 on the FA is pretty standard, and it has mediocre rise at 8”. Just good enough to be good. For reference, Anderson’s is 95.0 with 9.4” of rise, and is plus.

The SL is also mediocre that’s a downer more so than a vertical mover, and the CH is very rarely used.

It’s a typical BP profile for the most part so far.
    Thanks for the pseudo grade. I know nothing about the kid other than a few successful starts mixed with meh performances. I have only seen a few highlights and his FA was always hitting 97-98. Then every other K was on a slider that end up in the dirt or close to it. I think the kid is young but I don’t even know if that is true.

I would love to get a cheap BP guy out of him if that is what he becomes. That is not a negative result. My wagon is hitched to Wright figuring something out still with Fried and Soroka coming back and continuing to grow.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think he’s 22? Never really cared enough to check.

The highlights will obviously show him striking someone out on a well executed slider...that’s why it’s a highlight. As with most guys, it’s a matter of how often they execute vs how often they throw up a turd.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    you've been on it. I think we have agreement by most on the board.

I'd love to have him as my 4 with upside to be better long term. Lots of upside in any game that he could put it all together and pitch like a stud.

IF we can find a way to land a Bauer or even a Stroman, then I like the pitching next year.

New Guy, Fried, Soroka, Anderson, Wright. Let Wright be the fifth starter. I think he'll frustrate but let him work and I think he'll be a very good 5 over an entire season sample. The Braves will always add one vetran starter reclamation project for 1 million to compete. That scrap heap guy has turned out be be useful most years. Scrap heap can make Wright work and maybe serve as Soroka insurance.

It's not a scary group, but i think it would be a very good group of starters.
    I think a pick up of Odorizzi and re-signing Felix for the pitching staff is the way to go. Make sure to keep Tomlin as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    @Enscheff, any input/thoughts on Anderson's first postseason start?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    @Enscheff, any input/thoughts on Anderson's first postseason start?
    I think he pitched a good game when every pitcher on both rosters pitched very well.

So either every pitcher on both rosters is a stud, or some combination of small sample size oddness and the hitting environment played a significant role in the Reds scoring 0 runs in 22 innings, and the Braves scoring 2 runs in 20 innings before finally popping 2 HRs in the last inning.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-02-2020), UNCBlue012 (10-02-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    pitching ninja had another gif of Anderson's tunneling of FB and CH....amazing how similar.

I think he's getting overrated. Thinking of him as an ace is unfair IMO. I still think we need to try and get a stud in FA. If we could get an impact guy, then I'm ecstatic about Soroka, Fried and Anderson in our middle. I think I'd love Wright as a 5. I think Wright is likely to be a guy who 1/2 the time is 5-6 innings giving up 2-3 innings, 1/4 time 6-7 dominance and 1/4 time blow up.

If we could get Bauer (don't think it's realistic), then our rotation looks really good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    pitching ninja had another gif of Anderson's tunneling of FB and CH....amazing how similar.

I think he's getting overrated. Thinking of him as an ace is unfair IMO. I still think we need to try and get a stud in FA. If we could get an impact guy, then I'm ecstatic about Soroka, Fried and Anderson in our middle. I think I'd love Wright as a 5. I think Wright is likely to be a guy who 1/2 the time is 5-6 innings giving up 2-3 innings, 1/4 time 6-7 dominance and 1/4 time blow up.

If we could get Bauer (don't think it's realistic), then our rotation looks really good.
    question is, who would that stud be? AA isn't going to pay for one. and i don't think he should.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-02-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Ian success going forward will be how he adjust to the league adjusting to him.

I was watching Kershaw last night for a few innings and he too looks like an over the top thrower. But he gets a ton of spin on his curve/slider. So how does he do it like that. Or was I just to buzzed to really see his arm slot.
    Coppy