Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Acquire Tommy Milone

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Kind of guy I was expecting. I was not expecting 2 ptbnl. I know he’s super cheap and that is appealing. But is he worth two 0f anything?
    If you think Anderson is a legit #3/#4 and believe you're going to get Hamels and possibly Folty back down the stretch? Sure he is. If/when they get back, he's a legitimate multi-inning pen option in the playoffs.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If you think Anderson is a legit #3/#4 and believe you're going to get Hamels and possibly Folty back down the stretch? Sure he is. If/when they get back, he's a legitimate multi-inning pen option in the playoffs.
    Does anyone believe all that?

I don’t see folty and hamels

This seems like a guy you give 5 starts to and skip in the playoffs.

2 humans for that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    He is better than what we have for the most part and he’s cheap and a FA at the end of the year. Exactly what I expected one of the SP we get to be. We need one more with higher upside to be legit contenders.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    For 2 PTBNLs, so nobody on the 60 man.
    It has to be players from the 60-man per the rules, at least as I understand the rules. I haven't seen anything that excludes PTBNL from the 60-man pool requirement.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Kind of guy I was expecting. I was not expecting 2 ptbnl. I know he’s super cheap and that is appealing. But is he worth two 0f anything?
    2 players who hopefully arent worth anything, sure.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

2 humans for that?
    It's 2 PTBNL, guy. Calm down. It doesnt make sense to trade key prospects for rentals in this shortened season. It's two guys off the 60 man roster so they're essentially throw ins.
    Last edited by Heyward; 08-30-2020 at 10:05 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

2 humans for that?
    Milone has pitched better than Mike Minor or Matt Boyd in 2020 AND cost you a *ell of a lot less to acquire than their teams are asking for them. He makes loads of sense from that standpoint. The Orioles are the first team that was willing to accept a reasonable return that AA's talked to so far, so he pulled the trigger. If someone else is, he'll do so again.

He's not going to give up Wright/Newk/Touki/Ynoa/Davidson/De La Cruz/Muller for "a guy you give 5 starts and skip in the playoffs", so this makes all the sense in the world. Liberty may have tied his hands when it comes to payroll, so expecting some big acquisition could be a pipe dream. If that's the case, you definitely hold onto Wright/Touki/Wilson and pray that Anderson's debut causes the light bulb to go off in their heads and they finally start throwing strikes. If it doesn't, you consider trading them this winter.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It has to be players from the 60-man per the rules, at least as I understand the rules. I haven't seen anything that excludes PTBNL from the 60-man pool requirement.
    Does not have to be from the 60-Man pool - any and all players not in the pool can be PTBNLs...

"Atlanta will send two prospects, neither of whom is in the Braves’ 60-man player pool, to Baltimore, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post (via Twitter)."
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-30-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Never change Braves fans.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If we had Soroka, maybe it would make sense to possibly go for it. But without him, it's just too much of an uphill battle. I dont blame AA for keeping the prospects and just getting guys who can eat innings.

Unless he makes a big surprise between now and Monday.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    There is a *ell of a lot of difference between the title of thread and the headlines around baseball. Nearing a deal does not mean Milone is a Brave as title suggests.

And when since AA has taken over have we had such advance notice of a "pending" deal.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Just about anything is an improvement right now. We have an absolutely horrendous starting staff. I'm sure the team and especially the bullpen is tired of it.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Milone has pitched better than Mike Minor or Matt Boyd in 2020 AND cost you a *ell of a lot less to acquire than their teams are asking for them. He makes loads of sense from that standpoint. The Orioles are the first team that was willing to accept a reasonable return that AA's talked to so far, so he pulled the trigger. If someone else is, he'll do so again.

He's not going to give up Wright/Newk/Touki/Ynoa/Davidson/De La Cruz/Muller for "a guy you give 5 starts and skip in the playoffs", so this makes all the sense in the world. Liberty may have tied his hands when it comes to payroll, so expecting some big acquisition could be a pipe dream. If that's the case, you definitely hold onto Wright/Touki/Wilson and pray that Anderson's debut causes the light bulb to go off in their heads and they finally start throwing strikes. If it doesn't, you consider trading them this winter.
    This is all true. Of that group of seven pitchers...at least one is very likely to end up being a solid starter and one likely to be a high end bullpen piece. He’s not going to give that away because he can’t afford to with the financial restrictions he will be under. Liberty is unfortunately likely to cut payroll back again next year. So, guys rooting for someone like Riley to fail...should not be. Young guys outperforming next year, might be our best chance to contend. Covid really hurts mid spending teams (Who are in contention) like the Braves badly. Liberty will be looking to make some of that money back the next few years they lost...not spending extra.

It sucks that a clown show like the Mets are about to get a owner with unlimited pockets and we are stuck.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    It's 2 PTBNL, guy. Calm down. It doesnt make sense to trade key prospects for rentals in this shortened season. It's two guys off the 60 man roster so they're essentially throw ins.
    Are you saying everyone not on 60 man has no value?

I hope it’s two guys not on our top 50 prospects

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Matt Adams DFA’d

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Nothing burger as expected

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    This is all true. Of that group of seven pitchers...at least one is very likely to end up being a solid starter and one likely to be a high end bullpen piece. He’s not going to give that away because he can’t afford to with the financial restrictions he will be under. Liberty is unfortunately likely to cut payroll back again next year. So, guys rooting for someone like Riley to fail...should not be. Young guys outperforming next year, might be our best chance to contend. Covid really hurts mid spending teams (Who are in contention) like the Braves badly. Liberty will be looking to make some of that money back the next few years they lost...not spending extra.

It sucks that a clown show like the Mets are about to get a owner with unlimited pockets and we are stuck.
    What really blows is the fact the Braves spend the lowest amount of profit by percentage of any team in the majors according to ESPN.
    That’s why their writers are always taking shots at Liberty.
    We are so close to being on the level of the Dodgers/Yankees/Astros as far as talent but I just don’t ever see the current ownership going the extra mile and adding what it takes to win a series.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Nothing burger as expected
    Meh, we got rid of Matt Adams so you can't say it wasn't a total nothing burger
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Are you saying everyone not on 60 man has no value?

I hope it’s two guys not on our top 50 prospects
    You gotta give something to get guy. You act like it was Acuna and Albies the way you're over-reacting. Look at how awful our rotation is outside of Fried, we need 2 SP arms whether you like it or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Matt Adams DFA’d
    Who replacing him? Have we acquired milone or not?