Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Braves Acquire Tommy Milone

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It's really not that much to give up—certainly much more palatable than the "[g]uys like Owens/Estes/Devito/Vines" that you suggested.

But, in retrospect, anything was too much to give up. Of the two, I'm more upset about losing Cullen.
    I said it then and I'll say it now: Milone was Erlin that we actually gave up something for. I'm not going to dog on Anthopoulos, but this is one case where he'd been better off doing nothing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-06-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It's really not that much to give up—certainly much more palatable than the "[g]uys like Owens/Estes/Devito/Vines" that you suggested.

But, in retrospect, anything was too much to give up. Of the two, I'm more upset about losing Cullen.
    Project SPs are available late in the draft every year, and will be that much easier to find moving forward with shorter drafts and less minor league roster spots to hand out now that 40 or more teams are about to be contracted. A lot of the HS Pitchers who have been drafted late that are actually willing to sign for (relative) peanuts will make it to college and MLB teams will watch the development of the ones they like closely against stronger competition there.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Looking at the instructional league roster (Yes! There was an instructional league.), DeVito, Owens, and Estes are on it, joined by SS/3B Grissom, 1B Backstrom, and RHP Johnson all but Devito coming from the crop of post-10th round above-slot signings of 2019. Only above-slot guy not on the roster is OF Morton.

For those interested, here is a link to the roster: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...league-roster/. Braves went in a different direction than most franchises, inviting a smaller group of players. I think the Braves see some helium in these guys, especially Grissom (who was on the 60-man roster for the regular season).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-08-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Looking at the instructional league roster (Yes! There was an instructional league.), DeVito, Owens, and Estes are on it, joined by SS/3B Grissom, 1B Backstrom, and RHP Johnson all but Devito coming from the crop of post-10th round above-slot signings of 2019. Only above-slot guy not on the roster is OF Morton.

For those interested, here is a link to the roster: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...league-roster/. Braves went in a different direction than most franchises, inviting a smaller group of players. I think the Braves see some helium in these guys, especially Grissom (who was on the 60-man roster for the regular season).
    Obviously just speculation, but it certainly seems as though the organization thinks Grissom and Michael Harris could come pretty fast. If that's the case - and they think Grissom could be ready by 2023 or 2024, adding Holt or Shaw (maybe even on a 2 year deal) - or even Moran - to platoon with Riley while spending money on a short-term LH bat in LF (Rosario or David Peralta) makes a lot of sense if you're really only looking to "bridge the gap" to Waters.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Obviously just speculation, but it certainly seems as though the organization thinks Grissom and Michael Harris could come pretty fast. If that's the case - and they think Grissom could be ready by 2023 or 2024, adding Holt or Shaw (maybe even on a 2 year deal) - or even Moran - to platoon with Riley while spending money on a short-term LH bat in LF (Rosario or David Peralta) makes a lot of sense if you're really only looking to "bridge the gap" to Waters.
    I think you've hit it on the head regarding 3B. I just don't know what the brass thinks of Riley. I've never been a Brock Holt guy because I don't think he's a true regular, but he makes sense as a bench guy who can play 3B, 2B, and the OF (Camargo can only do the first two) and be a LHH. Moran's defense is suspect, so I don't know if he's an option for a team that values defense (Of course, Riley is hardly a gazelle at the hot corner). Hayes is ready to go in Pittsburgh, so I agree Moran will probably be playing elsewhere in 2021. Whether he is non-tendered or traded is the issue. The question becomes if you get Moran for a season or two, do you just move Riley and hang on to Camargo as the late-inning defensive replacement (Camargo may be too expensive for that type of role).

This off-season is going to be nuts. I think the non-tender pile is going to be huge.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-08-2020), jpx7 (11-08-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think you've hit it on the head regarding 3B. I just don't know what the brass thinks of Riley. I've never been a Brock Holt guy because I don't think he's a true regular, but he makes sense as a bench guy who can play 3B, 2B, and the OF (Camargo can only do the first two) and be a LHH. Moran's defense is suspect, so I don't know if he's an option for a team that values defense (Of course, Riley is hardly a gazelle at the hot corner). Hayes is ready to go in Pittsburgh, so I agree Moran will probably be playing elsewhere in 2021. Whether he is non-tendered or traded is the issue. The question becomes if you get Moran for a season or two, do you just move Riley and hang on to Camargo as the late-inning defensive replacement (Camargo may be too expensive for that type of role).

This off-season is going to be nuts. I think the non-tender pile is going to be huge.
    In the event AA's able to land a solid enough guy to be the strong-side of the platoon, I'd send Camargo packing (or at least non-tender him and see if he wants to stay a part of the organization with his buddies for less money on a non-guaranteed deal) - but that's me. Riley's adjustments haven't taken well enough (yet) that you can reasonably count on him consistently. That said, not only is he cheaper than Johan, his upside is immensely greater - and even if you're just trying to get through until Grissom is ready, there's always that chance that Riley gets insanely hot for a 2-3 week stretch and brings you back something with fairly significant value. That's certainly never going to happen with Camargo.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    In the event AA's able to land a solid enough guy to be the strong-side of the platoon, I'd send Camargo packing (or at least non-tender him and see if he wants to stay a part of the organization with his buddies for less money on a non-guaranteed deal) - but that's me. Riley's adjustments haven't taken well enough (yet) that you can reasonably count on him consistently. That said, not only is he cheaper than Johan, his upside is immensely greater - and even if you're just trying to get through until Grissom is ready, there's always that chance that Riley gets insanely hot for a 2-3 week stretch and brings you back something with fairly significant value. That's certainly never going to happen with Camargo.

Camargo is certainly expendable.

A three week hot streak from Riley is not going to drive up his value. That's already priced in because he's already done it twice.

The reason to keep Riley is that he doesn't cost any money and he made general improvement at the plate in 2020 and it's possible he's got a productive short lived peak in him. As is, he's reasonably productive vs LHP.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-09-2020), PawPawMaxwell (11-09-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I will be surprised if Camargo is back. My only point above is that if they bring in someone like Moran (which is probably a longshot and not worth wondering about), they will likely need a reasonable defensive substitute, which Camargo is. If Camargo's price is expected to come at $1.9 MM as estimated, he's gone. The downside for Riley in this scenario is where does he get his ABs? He murders LHP, but is he the kind of guy seasoned enough to make the transition to be a part-time player? If not, it really erodes his value on the roster.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-09-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Ill throw another two cents on this fire. IMO Riley is a better trade chip than Duvall but not as valuable as Pache or Waters and maybe not as much as some of the prospect pitchers. But again IMO Riley is going nowhere until all the other voids are filled. To 50's point, I think it is a given that Camargo and Jackson will be non tendered if AA cant find a trade for them.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Did a quick search to look at the timeline for Anthopoulos' moves last off-season, which may not be applicable to the tasks at hand, but he clearly went pitching first.

Here's the timeline:

11/8/19--Re-sign O'Day
    11/14/19--Signs Smith
    11/19/19--Re-signs Martin
    11/24/19--Signs d'Arnaud
    12/4/19--Signs Hamels
    1/21/20--Signs Ozuna

Again, I don't know if that means anything per se, given that Smith, Martin, and d'Arnaud are all under contract for 2021, but it should be interesting to see which way Anthopoulos goes during this very odd off-season.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-09-2020), jpx7 (11-09-2020), NYCBrave (11-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    RP may find this to be a cold market and could certainly rather be gainfully employed come thanksgiving.
    Ivermectin Man

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-09-2020)