Page 13 of 229 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Absolutely agree. The core of that team had a great run, including the World Series title, but changes look to be coming to the north side
    Hasnt there been talk that Epstien will be moving on? Bryant could be the answer to some questions Braves have. Plays OF, 3rd, and can DH. This year did not help his arb value. IMO Cubs could possibly be a trade partner and take on Ender plus for Bryant.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    So we're getting Tatis, Jr?

Seriously, though, I think Joc Pederson is an obviously FA target (as has been discussed religiously around here), especially in a platoon role with Duvall. But I think Jorge Soler could be an interesting, potentially-inexpensive trade target, if the Royals want to cut some costs, pick up a mids young pitcher, and send the Braves a new DH. Gregory Polanco could also be a cheap bounce-back candidate, but the Pirates would have to eat at least half that remaining salary.

One way a Polanco buy-low could work is by sending Inciarte to the Pirates, with some cash and Polanco coming back to the Braves. Not a great plan, but this would be under the premise that the Braves will do nothing but shop in the bargain-bin—which is a premise I don't necessarily buy.
    Lamb and Pederson would be ideal - in theory - but they fit as platoon guys for a lot of teams, so how cheaply they'll come COULD be a problem. They're not going to break the bank, but they're also not likely going to get 1 year/$3 or $4 million deals either. As had been discussed before they seem like great fits, but they're both going to be strict platoon guys. If you're signing them to have Riley and Duvall sit against RH Pitchers, who are you going to have DH on those days?

I just don't see Bryant as a fit anymore, even if the money he gets in arbitration isn't extravagant. Why bring in another RH guy to play 3B or LF? Particularly one who's hurt all the time coming off of a really bad season that will cost you prospects? Find a platoon partner for the guys you've got - if Bryant has a bounceback year, consider signing him following 2021 when there's a chance AA has more money available. The one-year deals work when you're only giving up payroll space - why give up prospects for a guy who isn't even a slam-dunk to get you past the Dodgers next season, much less win you the World Series?

Not sure how Polanco would be a fit, even if they'd take Ender's money back. Are you really going to give up a decent/good prospect to make that happen? Polanco has had two career seasons with an OPS+ over 100, AND that kind of swap costs you $2 million you could spend elsewhere - might as well keep Ender on the roster until you've gamed Pache's (and possibly Waters') clock and hope he can give you something before you DFA him. Really sucks, but I think you just have to treat Ender's salary as a sunk cost at this point - not even the rebuilding clubs are going to give you anything of value for him. Someone mentioned swapping him for a RP making a good chunk of money. That'd be a great idea, but who has a decent pen arm AND a need to have someone keeping CF warm for a prospect? Given the fact that teams like the Marlins, Tigers, Orioles, and Rangers have already called Harrison, Cameron, Mountcastle, and Taveras up, who has a need for Inciarte?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    They have some expensive contracts coming off the books. They aren’t outright releasing or cutting players because they’d still be on the hook for their contracts. I understand what you meant though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    They have some expensive contracts coming off the books. They aren’t outright releasing or cutting players because they’d still be on the hook for their contracts. I understand what you meant though.
    Going to be an interesting off season. If a good number of teams lower payroll, many players could get squeezed out or have to take larger pay it's to get a new contract. Going to be a huge advantage to a team who is patient and is willing to spend.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Going to be an interesting off season. If a good number of teams lower payroll, many players could get squeezed out or have to take larger pay it's to get a new contract. Going to be a huge advantage to a team who is patient and is willing to spend.
    I am curious as to how many team options on players will be picked up and how many players will be non-tendered. I'm guessing the market is going to be flooded with mid-range players and perhaps a couple of upper-tier guys who haven't reached free agency. A lot of us were disappointed that Anthopoulos wasn't more aggressive at the deadline, but he may have been reading the off-season tea leaves.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-04-2020), jpx7 (10-04-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I don’t see a huge free agent deal coming this offseason. Ozuna may come cheaper than we thought with people scared of having a repeat of 2020 with revenue and possible labor issues the year after. I didn’t realize Kluber was a FA this offseason. Might be an interesting pickup.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I don’t see a huge free agent deal coming this offseason. Ozuna may come cheaper than we thought with people scared of having a repeat of 2020 with revenue and possible labor issues the year after. I didn’t realize Kluber was a FA this offseason. Might be an interesting pickup.
    Coming off a pretty serious shoulder injury, I think I’d pass
    Get off my lawn!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Coming off a pretty serious shoulder injury, I think I’d pass
    It'd have to be a pretty inexpensive rebound-play, but it might not be the worst idea in that context.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This is relevant.

Rangers are going to spend 50 million less than they were planning this year. That’s a big cut.

Wonder if Lynn is available? They may be interested in a new or touki to play in a youth movement and see if they put it together

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    forgot about Bryant. actually makes a ton of sense (again). he's my most-likely guess and also my most-preferred.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    forgot about Bryant. actually makes a ton of sense (again). he's my most-likely guess and also my most-preferred.
    Bryant makes me nervous... he was God awful this year, has always had subpar Statcast metrics... and this was like a short prove it year and he failed. He doesn't fit AA's model IMO... Ozuna had a bit of a down year before we signed him, but at least he still had the insane Statcast data to suggest a tweak or two and he may be dominant again. I'm not seeing that in Bryant's profile at all.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Yeah big pass on Bryant but Cubs should probably blow it up. They do have some interesting pieces, just none i think the Braves should consider unless the cost is very low.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Time to ask about our old friend Heyward

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You know... Heyward as a cornerstone didn't work out but this could be a perfect situation for him to come back if the Cubs could eat some money. He would look great as the new Markakis.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Honestly not a terrible idea, owed 72.5 mil next 3 years. Would obviously have to eat some money but would be good replacement for Nick assuming he retires.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Honestly not a terrible idea, owed 72.5 mil next 3 years. Would obviously have to eat some money but would be good replacement for Nick assuming he retires.
    How much money would they need to eat though? We were paying Markakis what, $6 mil a year? That's a big ask of the Cubs to eat, and I'm not sure how much we are going to pay a platoon type outfielder. Plus if the Cubs eat money, they will want a prospect back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Lamb and Pederson would be ideal - in theory - but they fit as platoon guys for a lot of teams, so how cheaply they'll come COULD be a problem. They're not going to break the bank, but they're also not likely going to get 1 year/$3 or $4 million deals either. As had been discussed before they seem like great fits, but they're both going to be strict platoon guys. If you're signing them to have Riley and Duvall sit against RH Pitchers, who are you going to have DH on those days?

I just don't see Bryant as a fit anymore, even if the money he gets in arbitration isn't extravagant. Why bring in another RH guy to play 3B or LF? Particularly one who's hurt all the time coming off of a really bad season that will cost you prospects? Find a platoon partner for the guys you've got - if Bryant has a bounceback year, consider signing him following 2021 when there's a chance AA has more money available. The one-year deals work when you're only giving up payroll space - why give up prospects for a guy who isn't even a slam-dunk to get you past the Dodgers next season, much less win you the World Series?

Not sure how Polanco would be a fit, even if they'd take Ender's money back. Are you really going to give up a decent/good prospect to make that happen? Polanco has had two career seasons with an OPS+ over 100, AND that kind of swap costs you $2 million you could spend elsewhere - might as well keep Ender on the roster until you've gamed Pache's (and possibly Waters') clock and hope he can give you something before you DFA him. Really sucks, but I think you just have to treat Ender's salary as a sunk cost at this point - not even the rebuilding clubs are going to give you anything of value for him. Someone mentioned swapping him for a RP making a good chunk of money. That'd be a great idea, but who has a decent pen arm AND a need to have someone keeping CF warm for a prospect? Given the fact that teams like the Marlins, Tigers, Orioles, and Rangers have already called Harrison, Cameron, Mountcastle, and Taveras up, who has a need for Inciarte?
    Lamb is toast.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Every agent and player (and front office) have to be weighing what they think the long term baseball money is going to look like.

If lower revenues are the new normal then getting security this year at lower numbers might be the best play. If baseball bounces back to normal in 2021, one or two year deals at good money might not be such a bad move.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I have doubts that Liberty will allow AA to pitch Enders money into the wind. If he cant trade him then he will have to eat a bench seat. Heyward comes up every year as potential target (kinda like Lucroy) when folks disremember why he was traded in the first place. Not to mention there is already an overloaded OF on hand (please dont think Pache and Waters arent in plans). I think (maybe wish) that rest of playoffs and performance of Wright and Anderson will play big in pitching moves, if any, this winter. If Cubs do go into semi rebuild Ender would be viable as they need a CF. Ideal way for them to move some Bryant money (or Heyward but doubtful Braves would have interest in Jason). Is Pederson that much of a target considering already have Duvall on board and Pederson cant hit LHers?