Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,011 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Our of curiosity, how many would put Pache in a trade for Ramirez or Chapman?

I think I might.
    I'd rather deal Anderson all things considered. But I'd probably do it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-03-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts

I think I might.
    i think that might be what it takes for a Ramirez-level player on that contract. i'd be willing to include him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,983 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I never thought Cruz was an option for us without the dh, but this officially removes him from our list of possible bats. I also don't know the Twins finances, so who knows if this takes them out of the Ozuna sweepstakes. I would assume so. but I'm not 100% sure. Buxton and Kepler fill in their outfield and Cruz their dh. Who plays left for them now that Rosario is gone?

If the report from earlier has any weight to it, Ozuna's list of suitors is now down to two: Atlanta and Tampa.

And our list of free agent suitors is down to two: Turner and Ozuna.

I wonder if Cruz's 1/13 says anything about the type of money Ozuna will garner or not? Cruz is strictly a dh and is 40+ whereas Ozuna is 30 and can maybe play passable defense. Who knows.

C'mon AA, sign Ozuna!!
    Alex Kirilloff will be given every opportunity to claim the position. Brett Rooker may be the RHH complement to a platoon. They also have Jake Cave who had some good moments in 2018 and 2019, but tailed off a bit last year.

Cruz signing with the Twins shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows baseball.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,127 Posts

I think I might.
    Man that would be tough but I’d probably do it. Ramirez is a difference maker.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    he'd be a really bad outcome IMO.
    Braves need a legit big bat. Puig as a supplemental signing is fine, but he can't be the "big" acquisition. that would be an awful offseason.
    Meh. I don't think it's unreasonable for Puig to produce how most thought Ozuna would produce last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Meh. I don't think it's unreasonable for Puig to produce how most thought Ozuna would produce last year.
    The issue with that is he hasn't played professional baseball in a year. It makes it even more of a risk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-03-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,387 Posts
    Ozuna and then Puig on a one year with option for year two would be an acceptable outcome in my book. I still hate we missed on some BP parts that were cheap. I think that guy from Phillies and the Hardee’s guy are our pen upgrades. And the vampire repellent will be out righted once our bat is signed.

I guess I should add that I still think the DH will be added.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 02-03-2021 at 12:59 PM.
    Coppy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-03-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think that might be what it takes for a Ramirez-level player on that contract. i'd be willing to include him.
    I'd do it.

If Pache turned out to be Greg Polanco with gold glove defense, I'd probably get over it. I'd hate myself forever if he actually hit like an all star, but I'd probably roll those dice.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,387 Posts
    I'd do it.

If Pache turned out to be Greg Polanco with gold glove defense, I'd probably get over it. I'd hate myself forever if he actually hit like an all star, but I'd probably roll those dice.
    I would do it too. But if no DH then we would have to go somewhere other than Ozuna. I would dread an OF of Riley. Acuna. Ozuna.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I would do it too. But if no DH then we would have to go somewhere other than Ozuna. I would dread an OF of Riley. Acuna. Ozuna.
    It seems like Riley would almost have to be in any deal that brought back Ramirez.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Go sign JBJ to play center. Or call up Waters if you think he’s ready. Either would fix the outfield deficiencies of Ozuna.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

I think I might.
    Don't think I could.

If he's slightly worse than league-average in CF with the bat, we're talking about a perennial All-Star - if the power develops, we're talking about someone who is a potential HOF candidate.

Just not sure I could give that up for 3 years of anyone.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    I scoffed at the "Pillar floor" comments about Pache because I thought it was ridiculous to peg that on a guy who hadn't hit at all so early in his pro career. However, now that we've seen him post a legit (meaning based on reasonable BABIP) .815 OPS over 400+ AA PAs, and a legit .750 OPS in AAA over 100+ PAs, all at the age of 20...I don't think that Pillar floor is at all unreasonable now.

So what is that? Pillar was a defense first CF who posted 2+ fWAR for 4 straight seasons before tailing off as he aged out of his athleticism (exactly the decline we are seeing from Ender now).

If he becomes a RHH Ender Inciarte, which is basically Pillar plus 10%-15% more offense, he's even more valuable. That version of Pache is a 3 fWAR player for ~4 seasons before his decline in athleticism turns him into what Ender is now.

I have no issue projecting Pache right between Pillar and Ender. An elite defender in CF with a slightly below average bat isn't an All Star, but it's certainly a very valuable player. I won't rosterbate about Pache turning into the next McCutchen, but there is obviously room for upside greater than Ender as well.

I think I want to see 6 years of Pache. Maybe he turns into the next Grissom (elite CF defense with an above average bat). Waters? Meh...trade him if needed.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-03-2021 at 02:26 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-03-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Go sign JBJ to play center. Or call up Waters if you think he’s ready. Either would fix the outfield deficiencies of Ozuna.
    JBJ would have been my thinking.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,983 Posts
    JBJ would have been my thinking.
    Bradley is intriguing (of sorts). Really good in 2015 and 2016 and then fell off the table 2017 through 2019. Rebounded last season, but can anyone take into account 2020 performance? I don't think his bat plays anywhere other than CF, which puts him in the unicorn category for this off-season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Heyman saying that the Rays interest in Ozuna would be on a short term deal at a lower AAV than he is asking for. But is a fallback option offering DH at bats in case there are no good NL offers.
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Bradley is intriguing (of sorts). Really good in 2015 and 2016 and then fell off the table 2017 through 2019. Rebounded last season, but can anyone take into account 2020 performance? I don't think his bat plays anywhere other than CF, which puts him in the unicorn category for this off-season.
    I could see Bradley in LF if AA were able to pull off a Chapman/Ramirez/Suarez deal that included both Waters and Riley. A little less power than you'd normally like to have from a corner OF, but you'd still be looking at around 45 HRs from 3B and LF if you paired one of those guys with JBJ. Gives you the left-handed OF you wanted and the RH power bat to hit behind Freeman.

If AA were somehow able to land Chapman to go along with Bradley, it would be pretty tough to argue that any other team was in the same ballpark defensively - Acuna and JBJ flanking Pache in CF would be insane..
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,728 Posts
    Any dodger interest in ozuna? I sorta expect them to take him and turner to screw us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I could see Bradley in LF if AA were able to pull off a Chapman/Ramirez/Suarez deal that included both Waters and Riley. A little less power than you'd normally like to have from a corner OF, but you'd still be looking at around 45 HRs from 3B and LF if you paired one of those guys with JBJ. Gives you the left-handed OF you wanted and the RH power bat to hit behind Freeman.

If AA were somehow able to land Chapman to go along with Bradley, it would be pretty tough to argue that any other team was in the same ballpark defensively - Acuna and JBJ flanking Pache in CF would be insane..
    You could at least withstand some defensive regression thats bound to happen to JBJ at a corner.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Guessing the Soria deal puts Melancon and Greene firmly in the $4 million or less category - probably puts Rosenthal there too.

Surely we get one of those guys.