Page 16 of 229 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    You could use TD at DH more and let Contreras learn behind the plate.
    What little money we save by not resigning flowers can be used towards a veteran SP.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    What about Charlie Morton if he hits FA? Bowman said Morton wanted to come to the Braves but Braves passed.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-09-2020), jpx7 (10-07-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    What about Charlie Morton if he hits FA? Bowman said Morton wanted to come to the Braves but Braves passed.
    Love it. Sign Morton for a year or two, re-sign Ozuna and Melancon. Reasonable to do financially, assuming we don’t see payroll slashed much. Then fill in some other minor pieces.

That hits all of our major needs without giving up draft picks, international signing money or prospects in trade.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-09-2020), jpx7 (10-08-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If the last 5 games are any indication we wont need to sign a SP unless Soroka cant come back.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I don't think it's reasonable to expect Soroka back for opening day. Probably late May-early June.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    If the last 5 games are any indication we wont need to sign a SP unless Soroka cant come back.
    You reasonably need 6-8 good starting pitchers to be elite. Anderson and Wright as your backend guys will be really nice.

We also need Soroka insurance. I am confident he will be okay but we should know not to pin our hopes on a SP recovering from injury (Medlen, Beachy, Hampton, Hanson, etc.)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-09-2020), jpx7 (10-09-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'm buying Wright at this point - it's probably safe to gamble that his adjustments are going to take. A handful of starts is typically too few to make that sort of call, but having made them when he did helps boost confidence that he's turned/is turning the corner. The deer in headlights look is gone - you didn't even see it when he got in the big jam yesterday. I think he understands he belongs now.

While I hate not having plenty of options when it comes to the rotation, I'm also starting to believe even more that there's not much of a reason to look outside the organization. I don't think anyone's particularly confident that revamping Newk's delivery is going to change things, but I get the sneaky feeling that they're going to ask Matzek to stretch out over the offseason and give him a shot to compete for a rotation spot next spring. If he wins that job, Newk replaces him in the pen.

Nobody knows (yet) just how tight the money's going to be this winter, but I certainly don't think there's going to be enough to bring Ozuna and Melancon back AND add Morton - while he's only likely to receive 1 year offers, they're also likely to be for north of $10 million. EVERYBODY is still going to be looking for pitching - particularly contenders. Why on earth wouldn't the Yankees offer him $12-$15 million to replace Tanaka when that would actually save them $8-$10 million of what they paid him this year?

I never expected I'd think this, but I think Ozuna is where the money should be spent. 3 years with an option or two. Depending on what they ACTUALLY saw from Folty in Gwinnett, bring him back - he's not getting a raise (or much of one). That gives you Fried, Anderson, Wright, with Wilson (showing signs he might be getting there lately), Matzek, Newk, Folty, Ynoa, Davidson, De La Cruz, and Muller to hold down the #4 and #5 slots until Soroka's fully ready to go. At that point you only need someone in the #5 slot, and with a little tweaking Snitker's probably capable of managing bullpen games once a week there - if needed. Make Touki a reliever for good and he replaces Greene for the minimum, and Weigel or De La Cruz replaces Jackson.

Assuming the $35 million we think AA has to spend is close, if you could get Ozuna for $19 million AAV and Melancon on a 1 year deal for $8 million there's a legitimate chance you could bring Pederson in to platoon with Duvall. The best offense in baseball gets even scarier, the lockdown pen doesn't miss a beat, and the rotation improves even if only marginally until Soroka's back at full strength - with a chance to be substantially better. Stop worrying so much about having a true #1, #2, #3, etc. and just make sure you've got 5 guys capable of pitching like a #3 on most days. Fried's going to be better than that the majority of the time (as will Soroka), and Anderson and Wright will give you a REALLY good chance to beat other #3s and #4s with our offense and pen backing them up. That gives you a better than average chance to win 4 of every 5 days during the regular season. You're going to lose at least 54 games - if 20 of those come when the #5 SP is on the mound, who cares?
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-09-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    You reasonably need 6-8 good starting pitchers to be elite. Anderson and Wright as your backend guys will be really nice.

We also need Soroka insurance. I am confident he will be okay but we should know not to pin our hopes on a SP recovering from injury (Medlen, Beachy, Hampton, Hanson, etc.)
    I wonder if any franchise has ever rolled snake eyes that many times with very promising starting pitchers. Jurrjens also in that litany.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I don't think it's reasonable to expect Soroka back for opening day. Probably late May-early June.
    Really? Is healing time that long. Ten months?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Considering that the pieced together rotation this year projected to a 96 win season, dont think much needs to be added if Soroka comes back strong, Anderson and Wright continue to improve and Wilson has learned anything. That leaves Flowers, Markakis and Ozuna to replace. Flowers should be done in house. Markakis has to be a LH bat from somewhere. Ozuna would be nice but not sure if his demands will be met.

My first target would be Bryant somehow favorable to current situation, Pederson would be next in line. Brantley a long shot because of age and cost.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Really? Is healing time that long. Ten months?
    In most other sports, Achilles injuries are career altering. In baseball, that injury appears to be less significant but the rehab period is really long.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    In most other sports, Achilles injuries are career altering. In baseball, that injury appears to be less significant but the rehab period is really long.
    Did Soroka injure his right or left Achilles? If it's his right, it's probably more of an issue.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Did Soroka injure his right or left Achilles? If it's his right, it's probably more of an issue.
    Right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Considering that the pieced together rotation this year projected to a 96 win season, dont think much needs to be added if Soroka comes back strong, Anderson and Wright continue to improve and Wilson has learned anything. That leaves Flowers, Markakis and Ozuna to replace. Flowers should be done in house. Markakis has to be a LH bat from somewhere. Ozuna would be nice but not sure if his demands will be met.

My first target would be Bryant somehow favorable to current situation, Pederson would be next in line. Brantley a long shot because of age and cost.
    Fried and Soroka have been pretty fragile thus far. It’s a gamble to think those guys will both be healthy a whole season. Bryant’s Statcast data is really bad and his performance this year was pretty bad. He doesn’t really fit what AA does.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-09-2020), jpx7 (10-09-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm agnostic on Bryant, but agree with zb that pitching should be on the shopping list.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm buying Wright at this point - it's probably safe to gamble that his adjustments are going to take. A handful of starts is typically too few to make that sort of call, but having made them when he did helps boost confidence that he's turned/is turning the corner. The deer in headlights look is gone - you didn't even see it when he got in the big jam yesterday. I think he understands he belongs now.

While I hate not having plenty of options when it comes to the rotation, I'm also starting to believe even more that there's not much of a reason to look outside the organization. I don't think anyone's particularly confident that revamping Newk's delivery is going to change things, but I get the sneaky feeling that they're going to ask Matzek to stretch out over the offseason and give him a shot to compete for a rotation spot next spring. If he wins that job, Newk replaces him in the pen.

Nobody knows (yet) just how tight the money's going to be this winter, but I certainly don't think there's going to be enough to bring Ozuna and Melancon back AND add Morton - while he's only likely to receive 1 year offers, they're also likely to be for north of $10 million. EVERYBODY is still going to be looking for pitching - particularly contenders. Why on earth wouldn't the Yankees offer him $12-$15 million to replace Tanaka when that would actually save them $8-$10 million of what they paid him this year?

I never expected I'd think this, but I think Ozuna is where the money should be spent. 3 years with an option or two. Depending on what they ACTUALLY saw from Folty in Gwinnett, bring him back - he's not getting a raise (or much of one). That gives you Fried, Anderson, Wright, with Wilson (showing signs he might be getting there lately), Matzek, Newk, Folty, Ynoa, Davidson, De La Cruz, and Muller to hold down the #4 and #5 slots until Soroka's fully ready to go. At that point you only need someone in the #5 slot, and with a little tweaking Snitker's probably capable of managing bullpen games once a week there - if needed. Make Touki a reliever for good and he replaces Greene for the minimum, and Weigel or De La Cruz replaces Jackson.

Assuming the $35 million we think AA has to spend is close, if you could get Ozuna for $19 million AAV and Melancon on a 1 year deal for $8 million there's a legitimate chance you could bring Pederson in to platoon with Duvall. The best offense in baseball gets even scarier, the lockdown pen doesn't miss a beat, and the rotation improves even if only marginally until Soroka's back at full strength - with a chance to be substantially better. Stop worrying so much about having a true #1, #2, #3, etc. and just make sure you've got 5 guys capable of pitching like a #3 on most days. Fried's going to be better than that the majority of the time (as will Soroka), and Anderson and Wright will give you a REALLY good chance to beat other #3s and #4s with our offense and pen backing them up. That gives you a better than average chance to win 4 of every 5 days during the regular season. You're going to lose at least 54 games - if 20 of those come when the #5 SP is on the mound, who cares?
    Don't forget we've got a big decision forthcoming with Freddie Freeman. If we hope to extend him, we've got to allocate for his potential salary in the years to come. Not sure what signing Ozuna does for that, but obviously it would make things even tighter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Trevor Bauer
    @BauerOutage
    ·
    19h
    Hey is DC a fun city? If meetings don’t last all day, what should I check out? Any suggestions
    @Nationals
    ?
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Where can I check who will be eligible for Rule 5 draft this winter? Easier if someone already knows.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Even if he does, we still need another SP. Probably not getting Bauer, but a veteran addition or two is needed. And who knows if Soroka will be ready for OD, and even if he is, i'd imagine he'll be on a loose cap early on.

Doubt we do anything more than the AA 1 year deal special for someone but we for sure still need more SP.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Even if he does, we still need another SP. Probably not getting Bauer, but a veteran addition or two is needed. And who knows if Soroka will be ready for OD, and even if he is, i'd imagine he'll be on a loose cap early on.

Doubt we do anything more than the AA 1 year deal special for someone but we for sure still need more SP.
    I truly am not being argumentative or nit picky but IF Soroka comes back, Fried is Fried, Wright has found his place and Anderson is the real thing then can we totally discount Wilson, Touki, Ynoa, de la Cruz, Davidson, and the other youngsters. Any vet SP is going to cost tons more money than any of those I mention and any pre Arb or even arb pitcher is going to cost prospects that would be difficult to give up considering past few drafts and the penalties. This is not even going into the demise of minor league baseball and the as yet unknown impact that will play in next few years til things sort out