Results 3,721 to 3,740 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Mets are in serious discussions with Kevin Pillar, per Heyman.
    Now it’s time to panic.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Michael Mayer reports that the Mets have been in contact with free agent starter Taijuan Walker.
    Mayer adds that Walker is "said to be looking for" a multi-year deal worth $10 million per year. That may be a little rich given that spring training opens this week, but the 28-year-old right-hander did excel to the tune of a 2.70 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and 50/19 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings last season between the Mariners and Blue Jays.

RELATED: New York Mets
    SOURCE: Michael Mayer on Twitter
    Feb 15, 2021, 5:17 PM ET

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Now that Mets got Pillar who get JBJ?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Now that Mets got Pillar who get JBJ?
    Boston
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Boston
    Boston Beaneaters?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-16-2021), jpx7 (02-15-2021), nsacpi (02-15-2021)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I’m just kinda waiting for another shoe to drop...that I pretty much know isn’t going to drop.

We should be improved from last year...Dodgers, Pads and Mets have improved thru pretty big moves. I feel our big move was Morton...an aging yet possibly dominant pitcher (if he can stay healthy) and Ozuna which was basically just keeping what we had somewhat together. The others made moves with players in their primes.

I feel like this team comes up short by a hair or two (without luck...say Riley and/or Pache have a monster year)...not holding my breath.

Sad part...I feel overall we are the best team, but other teams have put more skin in the game (through either massive payroll or giving up prospects)...and come playoffs when every edge counts...we might be looking at a similar “almost” WS run again.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Ass dribble has been a better player with more versatility over his career (3b) though maybe that isn't really the case any longer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I love the depends on price crowds. We spent 18 million on a pitcher who pitched 4 innings. Sometimes you have to over pay to get guys that are better than minor league contracts guys. Sometimes you lose on those players. Sometimes you get 2019 JD and 2020 Ozuna. Sometimes you get 2020 Hamels.
    I guess the Hamels signing didn't pan out but I'm not sure it would have been a good idea to pay Ass Dribble 18m.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Mets about to get Rosenthal. Damnit. They have dramatically improved while we are content with minor league signing bull****.
    why oh why are you losing your mind of trevor rosenthal?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    why oh why are you losing your mind of trevor rosenthal?
    What part of that would draw you to the conclusion that I'm losing my mind over them potentially signing Rosenthal? I clearly stated that the Mets have dramatically improved their roster, with Trevor being just one part of the improvement. Having said that, I would rather have Rosenthal on our team than theirs, he can be quite good.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    DOB's latest in The Athletic says that he thinks the $140 million total is correct and that $5 million or so will be held for deadline/in-season moves.

Give $2.5 million to Shaw and $2.5 million to Reddick, then cut Camargo, Jackson, and Dayton and give the $3 million left after paying them to go away to Greene and let's go.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-16-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    DOB's latest in The Athletic says that he thinks the $140 million total is correct and that $5 million or so will be held for deadline/in-season moves.

Give $2.5 million to Shaw and $2.5 million to Reddick, then cut Camargo, Jackson, and Dayton and give the $3 million left after paying them to go away to Greene and let's go.
    I sort of doubt Shaw and Reddick are in the plans after signing Kipnis. Maybe one or the other.

My hope is that we're still pursuing an upgrade at 3b in order to move Riley to a supersub position for a year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I sort of doubt Shaw and Reddick are in the plans after signing Kipnis. Maybe one or the other.

My hope is that we're still pursuing an upgrade at 3b in order to move Riley to a supersub position for a year.
    Mainly just want both so they can try sending Pache down at first - doesn't really appear that there's anyone else out there to play RF if Acuna is in CF against LHPs (although Demeritte might be worth a look there against lefties for a little bit).

Shaw is definitely my preference of the two for sure.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    What part of that would draw you to the conclusion that I'm losing my mind over them potentially signing Rosenthal? I clearly stated that the Mets have dramatically improved their roster, with Trevor being just one part of the improvement. Having said that, I would rather have Rosenthal on our team than theirs, he can be quite good.
    the Braves have dramatically improved their roster.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,707 Posts
    I think so too. Lest we forget, we had to start Kyle wright and aj minter in the nlcs.

I actually think Wright will be decent this year, but he clearly wasn't ready for that.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-16-2021), jpx7 (02-16-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    I doubt it takes more than a invite to get Shaw on board. Redd might get 2.5m.
    Ivermectin Man

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I don't know how you can say that. Yes the additions of Morton and Smyly should help the rotation, but our bench is definitely worse, and we lost Melancon/Greene/O'Day from the bullpen who combined for 66.2 innings with a 2.29 era and 2.7 war. I'd say at best we might be as good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I don't know how you can say that. Yes the additions of Morton and Smyly should help the rotation, but our bench is definitely worse, and we lost Melancon/Greene/O'Day from the bullpen who combined for 66.2 innings with a 2.29 era and 2.7 war. I'd say at best we might be as good.
    I think you are underestimating the improvement in the rotation. Do the same exercise for the SPs, and report back how many additional WAR Morton, Smyly and full seasons from Soroka and Anderson are projected to contribute.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think you are underestimating the improvement in the rotation. Do the same exercise for the SPs, and report back how many additional WAR Morton, Smyly and full seasons from Soroka and Anderson are projected to contribute.
    We would also need to do that on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Not having the DH weakens our team from both an offensive and defensive standpoint.

Ultimately, I guess it is how we define dramatically . I would say we stay on par with maybe a slight edge up because of pitching. I also think we might have a surprise prospect or two step up big this year. But you can’t really project those surprises.
    Coppy

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Fangraphs predicts Soroka/Morton/Smyly/Anderson to combine for 7.5 WAR in 2021. The combination of Soroka/Anderson/Wright/Wilson combined for 2.2 WAR in 2020 extrapolated to 6 WAR over the same 162 games. That would be a 1.5 WAR improvement over last year. Still doesn't make up for the bullpen loss nor weaker bench.