Page 228 of 229 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229 LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I can’t comprehend why we wouldn’t bring Dietrich in. When does he become available?
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Dietrich is pretty terrible defensively. 1b is basically the only position he isn't terrible at defensively, and he isn't particularly good there either. With Panda on the team, Dietrich isn't a great fit.

That being said, I'd love to stash him in AAA if it were possible, as a back-up plan to Panda and insurance for Freddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Dietrich is pretty terrible defensively. 1b is basically the only position he isn't terrible at defensively, and he isn't particularly good there either. With Panda on the team, Dietrich isn't a great fit.

That being said, I'd love to stash him in AAA if it were possible, as a back-up plan to Panda and insurance for Freddie.
    I’d see him as a guy that would get about 100-150 pinch hit appearances while only playing at most 75 innings in the field. I don’t think his defense would hurt us all too much.
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But he got next to no ABs when they were still running Almonte, Harris, and Harris out there daily. I just thought it was surprising that Waters was never in the box score.
    They had to give the ABs to those other AAAA guys since they were actually being considered for a job - there was no chance that Waters was going to be on the roster before well past the Super Two cutoff date.

I understand that Harris stayed up, but he only got ABs late in games - generally when potential mop-up guys were on the mound or when Pitchers being considered for MLB jobs were already on their way to the golf course for the evening. Keeping Waters in the mix would have given Snitker a chance to play him instead of the Almonte/Heredia/etc. crowd even though there was no chance he was breaking camp with the big club.

Not comparing them as players, but the situation would have been similar to the Royals and Witt - Matheny kept giving all those ABs to Witt instead of figuring out who was actually going to play 2B for them next week when there was no chance that guy was going to be Witt.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-29-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (03-29-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just wanted to point out that clv suggested we trade for Dietrich. He was just released Saturday.
    And to clarify - I suggested we trade for TAUCHMAN and said it wouldn't be a bad idea to get Dietrich included.

I never mentioned I had any doubts he wasn't going to be released - I actually didn't even address that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Reddick is a worse version of Neck (well not 2020 Neck). At least Neck could get on base at a decent clip. My worry is that Snit would use him the same way as Neck and Reddick would end up getting 400-500 at bats.
    I would worry a little about that too, but at this point he'd be taking those ABs away from Inciarte.

How could that possibly be a bad thing?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And to clarify - I suggested we trade for TAUCHMAN and said it wouldn't be a bad idea to get Dietrich included.

I never mentioned I had any doubts he wasn't going to be released - I actually didn't even address that.
    It doesn't matter who was included. The fact that you would value Dietrich enough to make him part of the deal is outlandish enough.

Also, the reason the Yanks were floating Tauchman in the first place is because he was unlikely to make their roster at the time and is out of options. So again, you were advocating to give value for a player that was somewhat likely to be released.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Braves cut Lamb, option Camargo and Contreras to the minors. They're going with a bench of Adrianza, Sandoval, Inciarte and Jackson. Ynoa on the roster.
    That's about what I would have guessed. No reason not to preserve the service time for Contreras and they have to give a whirl for a bit with Inciarte (also he's the needed defensive replacement in OF). Reevaluate in a month or so, I would think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-29-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It doesn't matter who was included. The fact that you would value Dietrich enough to make him part of the deal is outlandish enough.

Also, the reason the Yanks were floating Tauchman in the first place is because he was unlikely to make their roster at the time and is out of options. So again, you were advocating to give value for a player that was somewhat likely to be released.
    Eight teams called the Yankees when the news Tauchman might be available floated - that's 25% of the league. Take the rebuilding clubs out of that mix and you're looking at about 1/3 of the playoff contenders.

I mentioned that Dietrich probably represented a better option than Camargo because Dietrich can actually hit when he stands in the LH batter's box. Just for *hits and giggles, how many phone calls or texts do you think AA would've gotten if Camargo would have been out of options?

You keep trying to make this into some kind of an "I really want Dietrich" thing when nothing could be further from the truth - he's simply a bigger offensive threat than Camargo.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    They had to give the ABs to those other AAAA guys since they were actually being considered for a job - there was no chance that Waters was going to be on the roster before well past the Super Two cutoff date.

I understand that Harris stayed up, but he only got ABs late in games - generally when potential mop-up guys were on the mound or when Pitchers being considered for MLB jobs were already on their way to the golf course for the evening. Keeping Waters in the mix would have given Snitker a chance to play him instead of the Almonte/Heredia/etc. crowd even though there was no chance he was breaking camp with the big club.

Not comparing them as players, but the situation would have been similar to the Royals and Witt - Matheny kept giving all those ABs to Witt instead of figuring out who was actually going to play 2B for them next week when there was no chance that guy was going to be Witt.
    I get all that, but I just found it odd (and perhaps telling) that Michael Harris kept getting late-inning playing time when Waters wasn't. To make it clear, I am fine with both the Harris' getting playing time, just surprised Waters wasn't in the late-inning bunch. Could be they were working with Waters very intensively on the back fields.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-29-2021), jpx7 (03-29-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Eight teams called the Yankees when the news he might be available floated - that's 25% of the league. Take the rebuilding clubs out of that mix and you're looking at about 1/3 of the playoff contenders.

I mentioned that Dietrich probably represented a better option than Camargo because Dietrich can actually hit when he stands in the LH batter's box. Just for *hits and giggles, how many phone calls or texts do you think AA would've gotten if Camargo would have been out of options?

You keep trying to make this into some kind of an "I really want Dietrich" thing when nothing could be further from the truth - he's simply a bigger offensive threat than Camargo.
    And none of them offered anything of value or he would have been traded.

Also, Camargo is still a better option that Dietrich for us because he can actually play respectable defense at multiple positions. We already have a bat first no defense player in Panda.

The fact is, you valued Dietrich enough to want to trade for him, when he could be had for free. You may think it's irrelevant. Like trading a dime for a nickel. But it's still a dumb thing to do, even if it's irrelevant.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Soroka will pitch 1 or 2 innings in Braves final ST game.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Culberson made rangers opening day roster

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (03-29-2021), jpx7 (03-29-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I get all that, but I just found it odd (and perhaps telling) that Michael Harris kept getting late-inning playing time when Waters wasn't. To make it clear, I am fine with both the Harris' getting playing time, just surprised Waters wasn't in the late-inning bunch. Could be they were working with Waters very intensively on the back fields.
    This has been my guess - and exactly that, just a stab in the dark - that that was the plan from early on. By all accounts, he needs work on pitch recognition, shrinking his zone, and hitting from the right side. He'll get game action when the AAA season starts. It would seem to make sense to have him facing Pitchers with nastier stuff trying to refine breaking balls even further on the backfields rather than putting him in game situations where guys on the fringes of making other clubs are often trying to hump up and blow it by someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    This has been my guess - and exactly that, just a stab in the dark - that that was the plan from early on. By all accounts, he needs work on pitch recognition, shrinking his zone, and hitting from the right side. He'll get game action when the AAA season starts. It would seem to make sense to have him facing Pitchers with nastier stuff trying to refine breaking balls even further on the backfields rather than putting him in game situations where guys on the fringes of making other clubs are often trying to hump up and blow it by someone.
    Man, I have no idea if you and 50 are right about this, but this is absolutely what I wanna believe and it makes sense

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Man, I have no idea if you and 50 are right about this, but this is absolutely what I wanna believe and it makes sense
    I’m pretty sure the primary reason for Waters’ being essentially absent from Spring Training was the reported oblique injury that mostly robbed him of a chance to participate in camp?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I’m pretty sure the primary reason for Waters’ being essentially absent from Spring Training was the reported oblique injury that mostly robbed him of a chance to participate in camp?
    Not as interesting, but probably more likely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Get outta here with that stuff that makes complete sense

23. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-29-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Odor cut loose.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Odor cut loose.
    My bad

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (03-29-2021), jpx7 (03-29-2021), Tapate50 (03-30-2021)