Page 25 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Gold Glove finalists are out. We have 3 finalists (Acuna for CF, Swanson for SS, and Fried for P). Shockingly, Freddie was snubbed at 1B. He’ll win the MVP and tell Rawlings they can shove their gold plated glove up their ass.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-22-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    My reply to clv'a most recent dissertation: Have you not noticed the last 3 years output from Duvall? Do you really think the Braves will allow the Battery to decline because they wont field a decent team? Do you really think Lester/Hamels or Minor are going to sign for peanuts?

I really hate to ask questions of you since it takes forever to read your volumns of blog dribble. And I dont mean to sound like Enscheff but damn, sometimes I think you just write masses to stir the pot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Ronald cut his hair.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (10-23-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Im not against trading Waters, but for Carrasco even with Ender going back would be an awful move and something AA hasnt come close to doing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-23-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Saw somewhere on MLB Network, that Ozuna's value is 3/60 in total. That's not all that bad but really depends on the DH being in play.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-23-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Saw somewhere on MLB Network, that Ozuna's value is 3/60 in total. That's not all that bad but really depends on the DH being in play.
    I think if we trade Ender we should be in a good place.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I guess someone just compared Duvall to Ozuna based on HR totals? Luckily the FO understands player valuation a bit better, and Duvall should be a platoon guy or 4th OFer on a contender.

If the NL has the DH in 2021, and if Ozuna really will command 3/60, that seems like a very reasonable reunion possibility. Then all AA needs is a LHH corner OFer, and perhaps another option at 3b to set the position players.

It might still be ok to give Riley another year to make improvements while earning the minimum, but if 3b is where they can add the Ozuna replacement he might be done in Atlanta.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-22-2020 at 07:40 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-23-2020), PawPawMaxwell (10-22-2020), salmagundy (10-23-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I guess someone just compared Duvall to Ozuna based on HR totals? Luckily the FO understands player valuation a bit better, and Duvall should be a platoon guy or 4th OFer on a contender.

If the NL has the DH in 2021, and if Ozuna really will command 3/60, that seems like a very reasonable reunion possibility. Then all AA needs is a LHH corner OFer, and perhaps another option at 3b to set the position players.

It might still be ok to give Riley another year to make improvements while earning the minimum, but if 3b is where they can add the Ozuna replacement he might be done in Atlanta.
    I dunno. If Ozuna is truly one among the top free agent hitters, I don't see how we aren't outbid for him, just like every other year with top free agents. Only way I see us having a shot is because this off season might be weird due to lost revenue and teams not spending.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

Suppose the DH is gone for 2021, but there are strong indications that it will become universal with the new CBA beginning in 2022.

Would you still offer Ozuna the 3/60 and live with his defensive misadventures for a year?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Maybe the Braves and Indians can swap SS and each work out a long term extension with their new guy. There has to an OF prospect the Braves could add to a deal to make it more even.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (10-23-2020)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Since that doesn't seem to be the case, would you try to hide him in left for one year? Hoping Pache and Acuna cover enough ground to hide him? Ender/Duvall for late-inning defense?

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Suppose the DH is gone for 2021, but there are strong indications that it will become universal with the new CBA beginning in 2022.

Would you still offer Ozuna the 3/60 and live with his defensive misadventures for a year?
    I wish I'd seen this before I asked the same question. Shame on me.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Since that doesn't seem to be the case, would you try to hide him in left for one year? Hoping Pache and Acuna cover enough ground to hide him? Ender/Duvall for late-inning defense?
    That would give you 4 RH OFers and Ender. Might just as well trade Waters rather than hold him back another year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Assuming all the chips AA discussed (NL DH, payroll space, lack of overwhelmingly better offers) fall into place to try pulling a 3 year/$60 million reunion off, I wonder just what type of additional pieces would have to be added to get Pittsburgh to take Ender's salary back in a Musgrove/Moran deal? MLBTR projections have the two of them combining to make $7.7 million in arbitration this winter, so they'd be adding $1 million in payroll.

Adding Ozuna at $20 million per plus Musgrove and Moran would put payroll at $119,459,375 if MLBTRs projections are right. The rotation would be full, plus you'd have Ozuna back and a platoon partner for Riley. If you were to target a slightly less powerful guy than Pederson (Matt Joyce or Jon Jay perhaps?) to platoon with Duvall until Waters is deemed ready, you'd still have a shot at bringing payroll in at around $125 million because all you'd need to bring in is a backup SS and possibly another RH reliever.

The question would be just how bad would the deal with Pittsburgh have to hurt to make it work? Would Ender (and his money), their choice of Wright, Wilson, or De La Cruz their choice of Newk, Touki, or Davidson and their choice of A-Jax or Langeliers get it done?
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-23-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    I just saw that Lester is free agent.

Given his age and that he still lives in GA, I think there is a high probability he signs with the Braves.

He wouldn’t be my first choice, but a 1 year contract to have him fill out the backend of the rotation isn’t the worst outcome.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Assuming all the chips AA discussed (NL DH, payroll space, lack of overwhelmingly better offers) fall into place to try pulling a 3 year/$60 million reunion off, I wonder just what type of additional pieces would have to be added to get Pittsburgh to take Ender's salary back in a Musgrove/Moran deal? MLBTR projections have the two of them combining to make $7.7 million in arbitration this winter, so they'd be adding $1 million in payroll.

Adding Ozuna at $20 million per plus Musgrove and Moran would put payroll at $119,459,375 if MLBTRs projections are right. The rotation would be full, plus you'd have Ozuna back and a platoon partner for Riley. If you were to target a slightly less powerful guy than Pederson (Matt Joyce or Jon Jay perhaps?) to platoon with Duvall until Waters is deemed ready, you'd still have a shot at bringing payroll in at around $125 million because all you'd need to bring in is a backup SS and possibly another RH reliever.

The question would be just how bad would the deal with Pittsburgh have to hurt to make it work? Would Ender (and his money), their choice of Wright, Wilson, or De La Cruz their choice of Newk, Touki, or Davidson and their choice of A-Jax or Langeliers get it done?
    Oh goodness! I imagine Markakis is going to retire, but if those two are the options to replace him, I frankly don't know why he would.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...year-deal.html

If it's going to take 3 or more years at $20 million to bring Ozuna back - and the DH is here to stay - not sure why Cruz wouldn't be an option if he's looking for 2 years at similar money to what he's been making and the Twins blink. They have Rooker, Kirilloff, and Larnach ready to step in and help them cut costs if they choose to use Cruz' and Rosario's money to chase pitching.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-23-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Oh goodness! I imagine Markakis is going to retire, but if those two are the options to replace him, I frankly don't know why he would.
    Just figured a mention of another year of Markakis would cause the board to crash.

The main point is that if AA's going to spend big ANYWHERE, he's also going to have to go cheap somewhere else (if not in multiple places) as well. Just too many holes to fill if he's looking for another rotation piece, platoon partners for both Riley and Duvall, a backup SS, and a righty for the pen to keep payroll in the $120 million (or less) range.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I just saw that Lester is free agent.

Given his age and that he still lives in GA, I think there is a high probability he signs with the Braves.

He wouldn’t be my first choice, but a 1 year contract to have him fill out the backend of the rotation isn’t the worst outcome.
    Mentioned Lester yesterday (#476).

If AA's going to have any chance of bringing Ozuna back, that type of back-end signing is probably something he'd be looking for - much like King Felix was supposed to be in 2020. Someone cheap that can hopefully cover several starts in the event Soroka isn't ready to go out of the gate, and someone to compete with Wright/Wilson/Newk/Touki/Davidson/De La Cruz so there won't be any need to start Muller's clock next season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...year-deal.html

If it's going to take 3 or more years at $20 million to bring Ozuna back - and the DH is here to stay - not sure why Cruz wouldn't be an option if he's looking for 2 years at similar money to what he's been making and the Twins blink. They have Rooker, Kirilloff, and Larnach ready to step in and help them cut costs if they choose to use Cruz' and Rosario's money to chase pitching.
    Nelson Cruz asking for 2 years doesn't mean he'll get it, and means little for Ozuna.
    Cruz probably won't get a 2 year offer unless it's for the same dollar total he'd get for 1 year.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg