Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Turner will earn 17m per year for 2 years with a 14m option for year 3. An 8m signing bonus is included.

Dodgers now stand at the 62.5% tax threshold. They need to dump about 5m in payroll to get under the 62.% to the lower level.
    Wonder if AA was working on something with Dodgers in the event they signed Turner and took them over the threshold? Chris Taylor would be a great fit on this team.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-14-2021), jpx7 (02-14-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Right now, i'd put it Dodgers/gap/Padres/small gap/Braves/Mets.

Mets are improved but missing on Bauer really hurt them.
    I don’t understand the all love the Mets are getting. Are Lindor, Carrasco and McCann really going to move a sub .500 team last year to a 90 something win team this year?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I don’t understand the all love the Mets are getting. Are Lindor, Carrasco and McCann really going to move a sub .500 team last year to a 90 something win team this year?
    Yeah, i dont really get all this Mets hype either. Maybe if they add Kris Bryant too but as it stands now, i'm not sure they're THAT much improved.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Are shin-sho choo or Dietrich decent options?
    I see them as "bat only" guys and I think the Braves are looking for someone with greater positional flexibility. If they are simply looking for a bench bat, these guys might fit in, but so might Sandoval.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Look at their lineup. McCann is their worst player but everyone else projects to be an above average or better hitter.

And adding Carrasco and Stroman to their rotation is really solid. They have a good team.

That being said. Zips and Steamer, thus the Fangraphs' projections, don't like Soroka and Anderson at all. Both have them as low to mid 4 FIP pitchers. The homer in my expects better production than that from them.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-15-2021), jpx7 (02-14-2021)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Ditto

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    If the 3b was acquired via trade, I would almost guarantee Riley would be involved in the trade.
    Depends on who was acquired, but I doubt that it's as simple as 3b for 3b.

Riley is more valuable than a half measure.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Right now, i'd put it Dodgers/gap/Padres/small gap/Braves/Mets.

Mets are improved but missing on Bauer really hurt them.
    Please explain this. If "missing on Bauer really hurt them" is a thing, then missing on him really hurt the Braves too, no?

They still have the best SP in the game at the top of their rotation, Carrasco, Stroman, and Syndergaard (at some point) - it's not like they have the Braves' 2020 rotation.

They aren't just "improved", they're substantially improved.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Please explain this. If "missing on Bauer really hurt them" is a thing, then missing on him really hurt the Braves too, no?

They still have the best SP in the game at the top of their rotation, Carrasco, Stroman, and Syndergaard (at some point) - it's not like they have the Braves' 2020 rotation.

I don't think Carrasco, Stroman, Syndegard is necessarily that imposing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

zedsdead (02-14-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Wonder if AA was working on something with Dodgers in the event they signed Turner and took them over the threshold? Chris Taylor would be a great fit on this team.
    Just can't see them parting with Taylor after losing Pederson AND Kike. He would be a great fit, no doubt, but do you really want to give them yet ANOTHER good prospect for one year of Taylor as a utility guy (if there's no DH)?

I think the discussion about them and the luxury tax is really overblown. Paying a little bit of extra money to have Taylor and all the versatility he provides is a small price to pay when you're trying to become the first team to repeat in 20 years isn't likely something ownership is going to nitpick about with Friedman IMO. Probably one of those situations where they'd LIKE to be under it, but if it was that big a deal they'd never have approved the Bauer and Turner signings to begin with.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Not sure that's, really THAT imposing and Syndeergaard is coming off TJ so who knows how good he'll be right away. They're better, obviously, never denied that lol.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't think Carrasco, Stroman, Syndegard is necessarily that imposing.
    They're certainly not pushovers. Every other fanbase is saying "I don't think Fried, Soroka, Anderson is necessarily that imposing" too. If we're not wearing our Braves-colored glasses, it's reasonable to say that adding two older SPs with injury histories didn't exactly upgrade the Braves' rotation.

If healthy, the Mutts have a strong rotation just like the Braves do. Is it bulletproof? Of course not, but most teams don't have an offense like Atlanta's - the Mutts do now. Projection systems are always questionable, but the Mutts have done enough to put themselves in the top 4 in the NL - how many games a computer tells me they'll win is irrelevant. They have the pieces in place to match up with anybody and see how things actually play out on the field.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    The Mets are pretty clearly a little better than the Braves for the next season, or couple of seasons. After that they are going to be in for some rough times, while AA has positioned the Braves to be a 90+ win team for the next 4-5 years.

The unsustainable offense the Braves posted last year has quite a few Braves fans thinking the offense is better than it probably will be. Ozuna, TDA and Swanson are in for some significant regression. The boost from a full season of Albies will help offset some of that, but not if someone else gets injured. Nobody had an unlucky year for the Braves in 2020.

Even though the Mets are probably 1-2 wins better in terms of true talent, that margin is still well within the error bars of any single season. Hopefully AA has some moves up his sleeve that will allow the Braves to pass the Mets.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-14-2021), jpx7 (02-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Mets are pretty clearly a little better than the Braves for the next season, or couple of seasons. After that they are going to be in for some rough times, while AA has positioned the Braves to be a 90+ win team for the next 4-5 years.

The unsustainable offense the Braves posted last year has quite a few Braves fans thinking the offense is better than it probably will be. Ozuna, TDA and Swanson are in for some significant regression. The boost from a full season of Albies will help offset some of that, but not if someone else gets injured. Nobody had an unlucky year for the Braves in 2020.

Even though the Mets are probably 1-2 wins better in terms of true talent, that margin is still well within the error bars of any single season. Hopefully AA has some moves up his sleeve that will allow the Braves to pass the Mets.
    Maybe no one offensively was "unlucky", but losing hamels and soroka was pretty tough. The braves still were a game away from WS. Losing some offense could be offset by really gaining starting pitching

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    They're also a getting Stroman back after he didn't pitch at all last year. So they're adding 2 pitchers that should both be minimum 2-3 WAR pitchers in 2021 if healthy. They're adding Lindor who is potentially a 5-6 WAR player. And McCann is potentially a 2 -3 WAR catcher. That's quite a bit. And I think you can expect Alonso to have have a much better season in 2021.

You also have to realize they underperformed relative to team WAR in 2020.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-14-2021 at 12:16 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-14-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

My reservations about 2021 in a nutshell. We pummeled the ball last season and had really unexpected seasons from Duvall and d'Arnaud. Add the fact that while most everyone thought Ozuna would be solid, very few, if any, thought he would perform at the level he did. I think we are still a bat short and have a miserable looking bench. As it stands right now, the walk-up music for all the guys on the bench will be songs by Motley Crue.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,515 Posts
    Yeah, I picked the Mets to win the division last year in a short season. They’re good, but they have to remain healthy. So do the Braves, for that matter. But the Braves have a little more ability to make trades if something goes awry. This race will probably come down to who can stay healthiest.

Not worried about the other teams in the division.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts

I might argue Acuna was slightly unlucky with a BABIP over 30 points below his career average. And that's a little scary for opposing teams considering he was pacing for his best season offensively. He might have surpassed Freeman as MVP over a full season if his BABIP reverted to career averages.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Acuna had some nagging stuff last year that pretty obviously hampered him. Yeah, scary stuff if he gets healthy
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    My reservations about 2021 in a nutshell. We pummeled the ball last season and had really unexpected seasons from Duvall and d'Arnaud. Add the fact that while most everyone thought Ozuna would be solid, very few, if any, thought he would perform at the level he did. I think we are still a bat short and have a miserable looking bench. As it stands right now, the walk-up music for all the guys on the bench will be songs by Motley Crue.
    The expected regression makes it fair to wonder if AA isn't better off focusing on making a flurry of bench signings this week to really build some depth rather than trying to pull off a big trade. Assuming the money's there (referencing the $13 million or so DOB seems to be convinced as being available), how much better would we all feel about things if you suddenly added Gardner, Shaw, and Flowers to the bench and Kela to the pen - especially if the DH is mysteriously added prior to the start of the season as some still expect?

A potential big trade that's still being talked about this close to the beginning of camp will probably be something he can go back to after setting up the rest of the roster.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-14-2021 at 12:46 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-14-2021)