Results 3,801 to 3,820 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    What can/will AA do in the next week to correct the WEAK bench?? ST starts tomorrow with pitchers and catchers reporting. Gabe talks about Braves having essentially the same lineup as last year but speaks about short falls in bench strength, holes in relievers and even starting rotation questions.

Many questions arise about lack of "power bats" especially on bench and from the left side. Back up catcher remains a question as does a viable 3B. A lot of "hope" is put in Riley and there is doubt we see him fulfilling that hope.

I for one, am not convinced that the Braves can/will repeat as NL East winners with the probable roster that we are faced with currently because of the many questions that remain.
    Why does it have to be done in the next week? Roster changes and deals will be made throughout ST and even after opening day. Guys will come available that we have not thought of.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-17-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Why does it have to be done in the next week? Roster changes and deals will be made throughout ST and even after opening day. Guys will come available that we have not thought of.
    Correct. AA is t signing anyone until spring is well into swing. He wants to see what we have and need and I am sure saving as much as possible for mid season updates.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    We have a team that is very close to being good enough to make it to the WS. The one area that is a glaring weakness is the bench. It is a shame that this has not been addressed. The Dodgers are a perfect example of the importance of a strong bench. I don't think talking about it is bring a crybaby, it's a fact that is very frustrating. Salmagundy just stated the exact same thing a couple posts up, yet you say nothing to him.
    A NL team not having a viable pinch hitter is pretty bad. I assume they have to add somebody though I don't really know who is left.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I guess there are a few cuts every year that might possibly help a club, though they're generally the same kind of castoffs that are unsigned going into spring training.

I'm not sure it's really reasonable to think the available pool of signings will improve a whole lot, but I guess you could get lucky.

Folks are antsy because most of the credible guys on paper even for even semi-regular play are mostly gone now.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    We have a team that is very close to being good enough to make it to the WS. The one area that is a glaring weakness is the bench. It is a shame that this has not been addressed. The Dodgers are a perfect example of the importance of a strong bench. I don't think talking about it is bring a crybaby, it's a fact that is very frustrating. Salmagundy just stated the exact same thing a couple posts up, yet you say nothing to him.
    If you really want something new to whine about...MLB will announce the universal DH on March 15th. Imagine the Braves playing Camargo as our 3B, Riley in LF and Ozuna as DH. That lineup is even worse than we have now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I guess there are a few cuts every year that might possibly help a club, though they're generally the same kind of castoffs that are unsigned going into spring training.

I'm not sure it's really reasonable to think the available pool of signings will improve a whole lot, but I guess you could get lucky.

Folks are antsy because most of the credible guys on paper even for even semi-regular play are mostly gone now.
    Braves got Joyce a couple of years ago right before opening day.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I will whine about missing out on Shaw - he would've been the perfect compliment to Riley and would've given the Braves a really nice insurance policy in the event Freeman has to miss extended time (a trip to the IL - if he has to miss a month or more our chances are probably toast anyway). $1.5 million plus incentives for a LH power bat that can play both corner IF spots was an absolute steal given how well he would've fit this roster. The Pirates are always open to deals so Moran's still an option, but he'll cost talent PLUS roughly the same amount of money Shaw will make if he reaches his incentives.

Most of the other "misses" are marginal - if you think Dansby will continue to be healthy, Camargo can probably stand at SS for a day or two here and there to give him a day off, and if crossing all our fingers and toes somehow works and the DH appears, Gardner is still floating around out there. Plug him in in LF and shift Ozuna to DH and the bench won't need to produce a whole lot if everyone stays relatively healthy - especially until the All-Star break when Waters, Shewmake, Contreras, and possibly even Ball become bench options (if needed).

As things stand though, we need just about everyone to stay healthy for the first half - and there aren't going to be a lot of opportunities to rest guys in an effort to have them healthy and fresh come playoff time unless the team is comfortably in first or second place.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    So you single me out talking about a weak bench, when practically everyone else on this board has said the exact same thing, such as the post right above this one. Interesting.
    The difference being you constantly whine about it. Every other post of yours is whining about trivial moves that other teams have made. That makes you a whiner.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Super (02-17-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    There still free agent Mitch Moreland and he can play first and some outfield too.

AA he can offer Ender Inciarte for Mike Moustakas if they throw some money to cover that disastrous contract.
    Last edited by ixiXSolidXixi; 02-17-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I will whine about missing out on Shaw - he would've been the perfect compliment to Riley and would've given the Braves a really nice insurance policy in the event Freeman has to miss extended time (a trip to the IL - if he has to miss a month or more our chances are probably toast anyway). $1.5 million plus incentives for a LH power bat that can play both corner IF spots was an absolute steal given how well he would've fit this roster. The Pirates are always open to deals so Moran's still an option, but he'll cost talent PLUS roughly the same amount of money Shaw will make if he reaches his incentives.

Most of the other "misses" are marginal - if you think Dansby will continue to be healthy, Camargo can probably stand at SS for a day or two here and there to give him a day off, and if crossing all our fingers and toes somehow works and the DH appears, Gardner is still floating around out there. Plug him in in LF and shift Ozuna to DH and the bench won't need to produce a whole lot if everyone stays relatively healthy - especially until the All-Star break when Waters, Shewmake, Contreras, and possibly even Ball become bench options (if needed).

As things stand though, we need just about everyone to stay healthy for the first half - and there aren't going to be a lot of opportunities to rest guys in an effort to have them healthy and fresh come playoff time unless the team is comfortably in first or second place.
    I agree on Shaw. $1.5 MM minor league deal with the Brewers. There are so many guys on minor league deals and sometimes those deals are contingent on making the team or the player gets released. With so many guys like Shaw on minor league deals, there could be a lot of movement at the end of spring training. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Anthopoulos is thinking.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I equate this whole bench thing to AA throwing a backyard cook out. He went out and got 100 bucks of meat and now needs condiments. He clearly isn’t going to buy 100 bucks of meat and not have money for condiments.

Will he use that older bottle in back of fridge that he over paid for but will expire after this party. Plus some these off brands that we don’t know how they taste. Risky but an option.

He could also send his kid out at last minute to grab whatever condiments are left. Or maybe he will use a homemade recipe that no one knows how good it is. Could also ask some neighbors to give him some condiments in exchange for scraps he doesn’t plan to use.

Regardless he can always see how his condiments are working midway through party and go to other neighbors whose party completely tanned and get some good condiments and maybe even more meat.

Regardless he has enough meat to start his cookout and that is most important.
    Coppy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-17-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Throw them a low-value minor league arm AA - dude can hit...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...d-ramirez.html
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Throw them a low-value minor league arm AA - dude can hit...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...d-ramirez.html
    He can?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    He can?
    you ain't convincing me
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I equate this whole bench thing to AA throwing a backyard cook out. He went out and got 100 bucks of meat and now needs condiments. He clearly isn’t going to buy 100 bucks of meat and not have money for condiments.

Will he use that older bottle in back of fridge that he over paid for but will expire after this party. Plus some these off brands that we don’t know how they taste. Risky but an option.

He could also send his kid out at last minute to grab whatever condiments are left. Or maybe he will use a homemade recipe that no one knows how good it is. Could also ask some neighbors to give him some condiments in exchange for scraps he doesn’t plan to use.

Regardless he can always see how his condiments are working midway through party and go to other neighbors whose party completely tanned and get some good condiments and maybe even more meat.

this is, um, yeah. just about.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    The bench looks weak going into spring training but in reality I’m not too worried about it. Markakis and Flowers are still out there if we need them. Teams let players go at the end of ST. A trade could be made if needed. Right now let’s see what the kids have and try pushing the versatility of players like Albies and Shewmake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    The bench looks weak going into spring training but in reality I’m not too worried about it. Markakis and Flowers are still out there if we need them. Teams let players go at the end of ST. A trade could be made if needed. Right now let’s see what the kids have and try pushing the versatility of players like Albies and Shewmake.
    Shewmake actually being able to hit would be a godsend. A guy that can play all over the IF and a LHH. I'm not ready to even dream on him being that guy YET though

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    if Shewmake can hit i'm calling him Ty Cobbler and nothing is stopping me

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-17-2021), jpx7 (02-17-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    We're broke.

Heyman: Mark Melancon gets $3M on Padres deal. 1 year plus option. $2M 2021 salary plus $1M buyout on 2022 option.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

Mark Bowman approves this post