Page 196 of 229 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Also, I wouldn't say AA hasn't taken any risks. Smith and Ozuna's current contract were quite clearly risky moves. But they also happened to be pretty good market value compared to recent contracts of similar players.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-18-2021), jpx7 (02-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Also, I wouldn't say AA hasn't taken any risks. Smith and Ozuna's current contract were quite clearly risky moves. But they also happened to be pretty good market value compared to recent contracts of similar players.
    they're small risks.
    even if the contracts don't work out, they're short enough with low enough AAV to not wreck you later.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's more like 30 million a year when you factor in him being relatively cheap for the next 4 seasons. That's likely right under current market value for what he's expected to produce. The downside is that he really only has a full year worth of PA's at the MLB level. Not the longest track record but barring injury he's a pretty safe bet to be a beast imo. The upside here is that this price is locked in right now. Who knows what the going rate will be in 4 years. Prices somehow keep going up so if he maintains it could be somewhat cheap at the time he was set to be a FA.
    The weird thing to me is this deal almost seems like exactly what he'd sign for as a free agent. Maybe he'd get 50 million more. But it seems crazy to give someone a FA deal when you control them for a long time.

This deal has to be making other teams pissed. Good for the players to win one for once.

The deal doesn't make sense unless you think free agent prices are going to continue to rise and rise significantly, at least for studs. That is a reasonable bet based on history. Still a risky bet given the demographics of the fan base and uncertainty in TV marketplace. Obviously an injury would be really costly.

For next year it will be interesting. If shewmake is what KLAW thinks he is, then he's probably a high avg, high OBP player at AA or AAA by the end of the year. Do they spend on a guy like Story or even move on from Swanson. Big year for Swanson and Riley. We will need money or a trade to get a LF to move Ozuna to DH in the next budget.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    exactly. people keep clamoring for "risks" i guess because they make headlines and it's exciting in the moment. but those risks almost always leave the team in a dire situation sooner or later. so far the Braves have added zero long-term risks while still competing every year, and last year being one game away from a World Series that IMO they win.

we've seen what being too aggressive can do to a team that has good young pieces. being risk-averse while still competing at high levels is the dream, right? why take risks when you don't have to? lots of GMs would have made those aggressive moves to "go for it." AA hasn't, and has kept the future in impeccable shape.
    Most GMs are fired before they have to suffer for their "going for it" moves. So it's only natural they try to win while they have a job, and let the next GM worry about cleaning up the mess.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Most GMs are fired before they have to suffer for their "going for it" moves. So it's only natural they try to win while they have a job, and let the next GM worry about cleaning up the mess.
    sometimes their "going for it" moves and subsequent terrible situation is why they get fired.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

For next year it will be interesting. If shewmake is what KLAW thinks he is, then he's probably a high avg, high OBP player at AA or AAA by the end of the year. Do they spend on a guy like Story or even move on from Swanson. Big year for Swanson and Riley. We will need money or a trade to get a LF to move Ozuna to DH in the next budget.
    Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if Shewmake is what KLAW thinks he is, he will be what Swanson is right now. With next year being a big SS FA class, there will be a couple left out of the musical chairs. Maybe AA will finally swing a deal that has a career year Swanson at the center of it. We will need a LF (maybe Drew) and a 3B (maybe Riley) as the only holes we have in our lineup. But that is 2022.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesguy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-18-2021), jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Rosenthal got 11 mil for 1 year. That's a lotta cheddar.
    Kind of surprised the A's of all teams were willing to go to $11 million for Rosenthal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if Shewmake is what KLAW thinks he is, he will be what Swanson is right now. With next year being a big SS FA class, there will be a couple left out of the musical chairs. Maybe AA will finally swing a deal that has a career year Swanson at the center of it. We will need a LF (maybe Drew) and a 3B (maybe Riley) as the only holes we have in our lineup. But that is 2022.
    Not sure how a Swanson trade would work, especially with 1 year left on his deal. Essentially a contending team would be looking to acquire him, but what is a contending team going to give up that we need, since they're trying to contend?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    I think Klaw is projecting a better hitter than Swanson. Maybe more in line with 2020, small sample size swanson, than with Swanson's full seasons thus far. I could be wrong though.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Not sure how a Swanson trade would work, especially with 1 year left on his deal. Essentially a contending team would be looking to acquire him, but what is a contending team going to give up that we need, since they're trying to contend?
    Since one of the things we'll need is a non-depleted farm system, it seems likely. Or likely-ish.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I think Klaw is projecting a better hitter than Swanson. Maybe more in line with 2020, small sample size swanson, than with Swanson's full seasons thus far. I could be wrong though.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be shocked if Shewmake hits any better than last year's version of Swanson over any significant sample.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    The idea behind a Swanson trade is that the return is a guy 2-3 years away from contributing, but since you've been making deals like this for the last 10 years the line keeps churning out new players. It is the rays model, and I'm not sure it works for a team that isn't as poor as them.

Or you do a surplus for surplus swap, like the Indians try to do with their pitchers and crappy OFers from other teams, then hope it works out better than it has for the Indians and their always awful OF.

I don't see it as particularly likely the Braves trade Swanson to make room at SS for Shew though. Have you seen the historic FA SS class next year? It will likely be a bad time trying to peddle a 2-3 win SS with a year of control left during that frenzy. The rosterbation around here about the Braves getting Lindor or Story or Seager or Correa or Baez is going to be unbearable.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-18-2021 at 02:45 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think it's fair to question whether buying another 8 years of control for more than 30m per is a particularly great move.
    It's "fair" to question every single MLB contract since they're guaranteed - including Trout's and Acuna's.

These folks are playing with Monopoly money, and Tatis' AAV may very well be lower during the same years of his career than the other SSs I listed. Every single contract is a gamble, and the Padres gambled on the best player in the group. In a world where the numbers defy explanation, paying the best player less than the next-best players over the same period of their careers is (strangely) as logical as anything else in a world where people are getting paid millions and millions of dollars to play a game.

The Padres were in a position to pay Michael Jordan Scottie Pippen-level money and they took it - pretty hard to blame them on any level.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The idea behind a Swanson trade is that the return is a guy 2-3 years away from contributing, but since you've been making deals like this for the last 10 years the line keeps churning out new players. It is the rays model, and I'm not sure it works for a team that isn't as poor as them.

Or you do a surplus for surplus swap, like the Indians try to do with their pitchers and crappy OFers from other teams, then hope it works out better than it has for the Indians and their always awful OF.

I don't see it as particularly likely the Braves trade Swanson to make room at SS for Shew though. Have you seen the historic FA SS class next year? It will likely be a bad time trying to peddle a 2-3 win SS with a year of control left during that frenzy. The rosterbation around here about the Braves getting Lindor or Story or Seager or Correa or Baez is going to be unbearable.
    You could argue that including Swanson in a Suarez deal would make some sense if there would have been a DH in 2021. With no one available in Cincinnati's price range to play SS next winter either (and no one in their pipeline), they might be interested in extending Dansby. Not so much in an effort to create an opening at SS to try and get someone from next season's class, but because the Reds have absolutely no one to even stand at SS. The Reds don't "need" a replacement 3B since they have Senzel and India, so the Braves would have been able to deploy Riley in LF, Suarez at 3B, and Ozuna as a DH.

The problem is then WE wouldn't have anyone with any type of bat to stand at SS either. Would creating an offensive black hole at SS be worth having Suarez, Ozuna, and Riley in the lineup? You guys would have to do your juggling of the numbers to figure out whether that would make for a better team over 162 games.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Wait, didn’t our guy tell us that Rosenthal was going to the Mets? Do we still need to panic?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why are we giving AA a pass or benefit of the doubt? He didn’t build this team. The core was in place for him to add around the edges and not screw anything up. Do I think he has one a good job. Yes. Am I giving him a pass. No.
    A little Column AA, and little Column Wren, for sure.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    A little Column AA, and little Column Wren, for sure.
    What’s with the Gay Ferrari avatar? You lose a bet?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Wait, didn’t our guy tell us that Rosenthal was going to the Mets? Do we still need to panic?
    yeah i am very OK not giving Rosenthal $11M

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The weird thing to me is this deal almost seems like exactly what he'd sign for as a free agent. Maybe he'd get 50 million more. But it seems crazy to give someone a FA deal when you control them for a long time.

When you consider that Mike Trout's AAV is 35m, getting extra years of Tatis at 32-33m definitely isn't a huge discount.

You can argue that Tatis will be the face of the game if you want and buying years at 2021 dollars might end up a bargain, but its huge risk for not much of a discount, IMO. I don't get it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    sometimes their "going for it" moves and subsequent terrible situation is why they get fired.
    I'm not sure how many GMs get fired for putting a contender on the field every season.