Page 198 of 229 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198199200208 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,960 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Riley doesn’t even have a full season of ABs yet. I would probably wait until the end of year to call him valuable or a bust. He has the raw power to be a star. Just not sure the hit skill to realize it.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He was a negative WAR player in 2020, and according to Fangraphs has only been worth .1 WAR for his career, so I wouldn't say he is a "great value" at his current production. All in all, he's been a replacement level player up to this point in his career. We'll see if that changes, but at this point he's looking more like a lefty smashing bench bat.
    It’s important to remember Riley only has 503 career PAs, and only 120 against LHP. That’s not even a full season yet. A replacement level player with upside for more who is making league minimum is fine for the worst regular on a contending team.

He made real improvements last year, and those improvements were in the exact areas he needed to improve. This season he should get another 500+ PAs, and we will have a better idea as to whether or not the progression continues.

Projections have him at about .250/.310/.460, which is a roughly average bat that belongs in the bottom half of the order. But those same projections are also projecting no improvement in his BB rate, and a negative regression in his K rate. If he maintains that sub-25% K rate and improves his BB rate even a little, he is capable of being an above average bat with average-ish defense at 3b. That’s a 2 win guy at league minimum as the worst regular on the team...which is a great scenario.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-19-2021), jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Yes Riley made improvements last season but his play in the postseason was alarming. Good pitching destroyed him. I am worried his improved plate discipline will come at cost of effectiveness. He might just not have what it takes. But he deserves a shot for sure. Maybe more time learning pitch recognition will help. I don’t know.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Yes Riley made improvements last season but his play in the postseason was alarming. Good pitching destroyed him. I am worried his improved plate discipline will come at cost of effectiveness. He might just not have what it takes. But he deserves a shot for sure. Maybe more time learning pitch recognition will help. I don’t know.
    I think being skeptical of Riley is smart. That said we shall see what happens.

I will predict at least 3 stories in the preseason about Chipper and Riley being best friends and Chipper mentoring him. IF Riley does well I expect every national broadcast to talk about Chipper as the Riley whisperer.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It’s important to remember Riley only has 503 career PAs, and only 120 against LHP. That’s not even a full season yet. A replacement level player with upside for more who is making league minimum is fine for the worst regular on a contending team.

He made real improvements last year, and those improvements were in the exact areas he needed to improve. This season he should get another 500+ PAs, and we will have a better idea as to whether or not the progression continues.

Projections have him at about .250/.310/.460, which is a roughly average bat that belongs in the bottom half of the order. But those same projections are also projecting no improvement in his BB rate, and a negative regression in his K rate. If he maintains that sub-25% K rate and improves his BB rate even a little, he is capable of being an above average bat with average-ish defense at 3b. That’s a 2 win guy at league minimum as the worst regular on the team...which is a great scenario.

I'm not saying he has no value or that he can't get better. But it was stated that he's a "great value" even at his current production. I just don't agree with that. His current production is not what I would categorize as great value, even for someone making league minimum.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Swanson won’t be traded. Not only is he a 2-3 WAR player, but he’s also a fan favorite. He loves the kids, not like my boy sleepy Joe, but you get the point.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Why is everyone trying to sneak politics in today. Are we having a sneaky political joke day.

If so I saw this one the other day.

Why is trumps presidential memoir twice the size of any other president.

Because he has 7 chapter 11’s.

Disclaimer:
    The jokes in this post do not represent the views of this poster, the board or any advertisers making the chosen one money.
    Coppy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield10 View Post
    Swanson won’t be traded. Not only is he a 2-3 WAR player, but he’s also a fan favorite. He loves the kids, not like my boy sleepy Joe, but you get the point.
    Probably not, unless he had a gigantic year and his arb number goes crazy. I do not feel they sign him back unless it’s a team friendly deal. His injury history along with his up and down production would be concerning otherwise.9

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Probably not, unless he had a gigantic year and his arb number goes crazy. I do not feel they sign him back unless it’s a team friendly deal. His injury history along with his up and down production would be concerning otherwise.9
    if he has a great year the Braves will want to keep him no matter what his arb number is. at that point it's a one year deal and you hope he does it again.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    if he has a great year the Braves will want to keep him no matter what his arb number is. at that point it's a one year deal and you hope he does it again.
    Correct. But even with a monster year his arb number still won’t go that high. So you could have a 4-5 win SS for 10 million. So you keep that.
    Coppy

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong. If a veteran player signs a minor league with a team doesn’t the player have to the option to void the deal and become a free agent at the end of spring training? If that’s the case there could be some interesting bench pieces available at end of spring training. It seems more veterans have signed minor league deals than past years.
    The Braves bench if weak right now. Maybe AA is waiting until spring training to fill out the bench.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong. If a veteran player signs a minor league with a team doesn’t the player have to the option to void the deal and become a free agent at the end of spring training? If that’s the case there could be some interesting bench pieces available at end of spring training. It seems more veterans have signed minor league deals than past years.
    The Braves bench if weak right now. Maybe AA is waiting until spring training to fill out the bench.
    Most veterans that sign these minor league deals do so with a clause in their contract allowing them to become a free agent if their team determines they will not make the major league roster. Usually it is a date prior to the end of spring training to give the player an opportunity to catch on with another team and potentially win a spot on that roster
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Most veterans that sign these minor league deals do so with a clause in their contract allowing them to become a free agent if their team determines they will not make the major league roster. Usually it is a date prior to the end of spring training to give the player an opportunity to catch on with another team and potentially win a spot on that roster
    I think that's the case pretty much all the time for the top-tier guys who sign minor league deals. Some of the lower level guys have clauses where termination rights are granted a couple of weeks into the minor league season. It also works the other way where a contract becomes guaranteed after a certain date, which leads to some guys being released at the end of spring training.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    The point is there will likely be some very good players available in ST just because they aren’t the right fit for the spot their teams have available on their roster.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    The point is there will likely be some very good players available in ST just because they aren’t the right fit for the spot their teams have available on their roster.
    It’s pretty optimistic to describe those guys as “very good players” or to count on finding quality contributors among the group of vets who get cut in spring training.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    It’s pretty optimistic to describe those guys as “very good players” or to count on finding quality contributors among the group of vets who get cut in spring training.
    i personally don’t think they’ll be much different than guys like Asdrubal Cabrera.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Roster seems more or less set, with only another SS needing to be added.

https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-2021...ter-prediction

There has to be a better option than Camargo out there, though he is a decent RHH option off the bench. Barely decent, but decent nonetheless.

If the DH does come to the NL they will need a better bat to plug into the OF to allow Ozuna to DH most of the time.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-20-2021 at 04:28 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-21-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Anibal says "Hi."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    But as Pache went 4-for-22 with a double and a homer in the postseason, he gave reason to wonder if he already was the club’s best internal option.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cristian-pa...ter-field-role

is that an upgrade over reason to believe?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-21-2021), jpx7 (02-21-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    But as Pache went 4-for-22 with a double and a homer in the postseason, he gave reason to wonder if he already was the club’s best internal option.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cristian-pa...ter-field-role

is that an upgrade over reason to believe?
    It’s a lateral move. He’s been using that change of pace for a while.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

drewdat (02-21-2021), JohnAdcox (02-21-2021), jpx7 (02-21-2021)