Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Tatis deal breakdown.

According to Mark Feinsand of MLB.com, the salaries breakdown as followed: 2021: $1 million, 2022: $5 million, 2023: $7 million, 2014: $11 million, 2025-26: $20 million, 2027-28: $25 million, 2029-34: $36 million.
    So basically they are saving quite a bit of money during his peak years before he gets really expensive around age 30.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    it was/is fair to question the Smyly deal. i think as others have mentioned, the SP deals that cam in after show it to be not as much of an overpay as initially thought. i mean, Taijuan Walker for 2 years at $10M per? big no thanks.

SP in general tho was a huge need, and if Smyly made AA sign Kipnis instead of Asdrubal Cabrera...then i'll live.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-22-2021), jpx7 (02-22-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So basically they are saving quite a bit of money during his peak years before he gets really expensive around age 30.
    so they'll be paying him big money until he's 34-35? that's really not bad for them. better to sign a 21 year old for 14 years than a 26 year old. i kinda think this was smart by SD.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I think Smyly is more like insurance! Long season with covid. You will need good pitchers to win all year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The idea with guys like Morton and Smyly is probably to nurse them through the regular season, and then hope they both dominate a few games in October. A single 6 inning shutout performance in the NLCS is worth more than a month's worth of regular season starts, so expect to see both guys handled with kid gloves all season.

For a team that's very likely to make the postseason, this seems like a pretty good strategy.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-22-2021), clvclv (02-22-2021), jpx7 (02-22-2021), salmagundy (02-22-2021), UNCBlue012 (02-22-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Tatis deal breakdown.

According to Mark Feinsand of MLB.com, the salaries breakdown as followed: 2021: $1 million, 2022: $5 million, 2023: $7 million, 2014: $11 million, 2025-26: $20 million, 2027-28: $25 million, 2029-34: $36 million.
    The first 8 years are a pretty typical extension for a young star player, except the years they pay him $25M are usually options covering early FA seasons in exchange for the team guaranteeing arbitration salaries. Teams typically guarantee arb salaries to give the player stability in life in exchange for a potential discount on 1-3 early FA seasons.

Not only did SD guarantee him those years that are typically options, they went ahead and tacked on another guaranteed 6/216 deal on the backend. It's like he signed a typical young star extension AND his first FA contract before he even reached arbitration. SD assumed all that risk in order to bask in the headlines because that's what Preller does.

Perhaps this will work out for SD, but there's a reason teams typically create these extensions the way they do. SD has assumed massive risk in this deal.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-22-2021 at 12:23 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-22-2021), JohnAdcox (02-22-2021), jpx7 (02-22-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I think Smyly could be a weapon out of the bullpen in the playoffs, but i guess we'll cross that bridge if we get there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The first 8 years are a pretty typical extension for a young star player, except the years they pay him $25M are usually options covering early FA seasons in exchange for the team guaranteeing arbitration salaries. Teams typically guarantee arb salaries to give the player stability in life in exchange for a potential discount on 1-3 early FA seasons.

Not only did SD guarantee him those years that are typically options, they went ahead and tacked on another guaranteed 6/216 deal on the backend. It's like he signed a typical young star extension AND his first FA contract before he even reached arbitration. SD assumed all that risk in order to bask in the headlines because that's what Preller does.

Perhaps this will work out for SD, but there's a reason teams typically create these extensions the way they do. SD has assumed massive risk in this deal.
    And Preller doesnt even have to care. There's a decent chance he will be long gone by the end of that contract.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    it was/is fair to question the Smyly deal. i think as others have mentioned, the SP deals that cam in after show it to be not as much of an overpay as initially thought. i mean, Taijuan Walker for 2 years at $10M per? big no thanks.

SP in general tho was a huge need, and if Smyly made AA sign Kipnis instead of Asdrubal Cabrera...then i'll live.
    That (and Paxton's *hitty numbers last season as mentioned above) are the explanation in a nutshell.

AA wanted the rotation set early AND he wanted someone on one year deals. Getting someone to sign before the market is clear costs you a premium. Getting someone to take a one year deal before teams begin to get really desperate when all the SPs are coming off the board costs you an additional premium.

AA paid a million bucks to get Smyly to sign before everyone else started signing and a million bucks to get him to take a one year deal rather than sniffing around for two year deals. If that makes him a $9 million Pitcher, it means he got $1 million more than Wainright, Happ, Quintana, and Ray, and $500K more than Paxton - it's pretty easy to imagine they valued him that much higher than all those guys.

The Yankees gave Kluber the same amount and the Red Sox gave Garrett Richards $10 million, and the Royals gave Minor TWO years while the Mutts did the same with Walker - Smyly pretty much got exactly what he should have to sign when he did.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-22-2021), jpx7 (02-22-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Fowler's a guy that might be worth taking a look at...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...ssignment.html
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Robert Murray: Sources: Brewers in the mix for free-agent outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

i'd say tho that in 8 years, guys of Tatis' likely caliber will probably be getting $5-$10M more than that $36M per year at least. of course that may not happen, or Tatis could flop (very doubtful IMO) so instead of him testing the market at, what, 28? they signed him to a FA extension at closer to present day market value. definitely a risk, but i think it's more sound than most 14-year deals.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Fowler's a guy that might be worth taking a look at...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...ssignment.html
    Was about to post the same. He's from Georgia originally, so that might give the Braves a slight edge towards signing him to a minor-league deal and making him a NRI. He'd essentially be Inciarte insurance: a LHH with some speed who can play all three OF positions. Most of the projections see him as a sub-.300 woba hitter in minimal PA, though Zips is the highest on him, forecasting him as ~1.0 WAR player in a hypothetical full season's worth playing-time. For whatever it's worth, he's also been pretty good at AAA the past several years.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-22-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    If Fowler don’t have any minor league option I really doubt AA want a player like him. Right now AA is getting veterans to improve the team with experience.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

A big risk indeed, but considering Betts just got 12/365, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that in 4 years time, Tatis might have broken 400 million. They would be saving 100 million and a couple more years of his decline.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I dont think that deal is that bad for Tatis. He probably gets more if he hit free agency imo. Only REALLY paying premium money for his 31-35 seasons. Lot of the Padres money will be off the books by then except Machado.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'd say tho that in 8 years, guys of Tatis' likely caliber will probably be getting $5-$10M more than that $36M per year at least. of course that may not happen, or Tatis could flop (very doubtful IMO) so instead of him testing the market at, what, 28? they signed him to a FA extension at closer to present day market value. definitely a risk, but i think it's more sound than most 14-year deals.
    There is definitely a good chance this works out very well for SD. Or Tatis becomes the next Heyward...then what?

The point is SD assumed massive risk, and for what? To potentially save $5M per year 10 years from now when $5M will buy them a 6th inning BP arm?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Bold prediction: 3B will be a hard platoon between Lamb/Riley by the end of May.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    There is definitely a good chance this works out very well for SD. Or Tatis becomes the next Heyward...then what?

The point is SD assumed massive risk, and for what? To potentially save $5M per year 10 years from now when $5M will buy them a 6th inning BP arm?
    it could be more than $5M, but yeah, point taken. it could very well work out fine but the risk is probably too big for the potential reward.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Bold prediction: 3B will be a hard platoon between Lamb/Riley by the end of May.
    Riley can get time in the OF too.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-22-2021)