Results 4,201 to 4,220 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not saying Riley is glaus in the making, but here's a comparison at equal PAs (Riley 458, glaus 462)

Riley/glaus
    wOBA - .307 / .298
    wRC - 87 / 70
    BB% - 6.4 / 8.3
    K% - 31.2 / 25.1
    Iso - .176 / .150
    Babip - .287 / .284
    I mean no matter what...this is Riley’s year. He either takes off, or probably gets replaced at the deadline (assuming Lamb doesn’t make a valiant comeback).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm definitely in the boat that the rotation needed serious upgrading and not just in one spot, and i think AA got two of the better-bet starters available. i think going into the year with Wright or Wilson as your set #5 would be a failure, and i strongly prefer say $11M for Smyly than someone like Lester for $5M. i think with someone like Lester, while he'll give you innings, you know what you're going to get: an aging, clearly declining pitcher who's hovering around replacement level. with Smyly, i think there's still some upside based on his metrics last year. he gives your rotation the chance to be very good, especially for shorter stints in the playoffs.

as i said, i think it was/still is fair to question the Smyly signing, especially considering the timing. as more deals have come in, it looks more and more logical. and i'm certainly not upset about it because it may have prevented AA from signing Asdrubal Cabrera and instead forced him to sign Kipnis, or that Melancon signed elsewhere because of it. i think you can replace someone like Melancon for a fraction of his price. i'd rather take a gamble on a potentially big piece than worry about the edges of the roster. as important as i think strong depth is, i don't think Cabrera is some big get while Kipnis is garbage. i just don't think they'll be functionally THAT different.
    I could argue that getting a dependable innings guy over an upside play at #5 spot would have been more advisable, but it is a swing and who is dependable anyway?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Gallo is losing value pretty quickly with his injury in 2019 and his poor offensive showing in 2020. Combined with his 2 years remaining control, they should jettison him by the trade deadline this year if they hope to get much value out of him. I guess they could simply resign him, but Texas really isn't close to competing in the AL West.
    I don't want the aging version of someone that Ks 35% of the time. (I don't want any version honestly)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Hope springs eternal, but when I see "shoulder surgery," it makes me skeptical. I'm old, and in an earlier era, the rule-of-thumb was a player was through if it was an elbow injury, but they could recover from a shoulder injury. With advancements in Tommy John surgery, it seems it's the opposite now. I hope for the best.
    I did something to my rotator cuff this year and then kept reaggravating it to where it got to be a problem.

I can't imagine trying to throw and torque everything like a MLB pitcher with a sore shoulder. Your shoulder is basically fighting you. Being a pitcher must hurt like a MFer.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't want the aging version of someone that Ks 35% of the time. (I don't want any version honestly)
    Yeah. The Gallo love has always been strange to me. One trick ponies don’t last very long in this league.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Looks like they got 1 year at 20, 2 at 25, and 6 at 36m.

I guess they saved some arb exposure as well, but not sure what the point of that is other than Preller figures he won't see the end of that one anyway.
    Those 25 million dollar years are probably 35-40 million dollar years what he reaches FA (assuming he maintains his elite level of play).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Yeah. The Gallo love has always been strange to me. One trick ponies don’t last very long in this league.
    He also plays pretty terrific defense and provides value on the basepaths (the few times he gets on base). He's definitely a valuable player, though it would be super frustrating to watch him struggle to even hit .200.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-25-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Nothing against Mayfield as a human being, but I always thought putting him on the 40-man was a clown move.
    I liked him as a Hechavarría replacement—less defense, but more power. I hope this move doesn't mean that Camargo is the backup SS.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He also plays pretty terrific defense and provides value on the basepaths (the few times he gets on base). He's definitely a valuable player, though it would be super frustrating to watch him struggle to even hit .200.
    and while his OBP is bad due to the average, he walks a lot and therefore works counts.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I liked him as a Hechavarría replacement—less defense, but more power. I hope this move doesn't mean that Camargo is the backup SS.
    We need a back-up SS and I don't think Camargo can fill that role, but there's nothing I can see in Mayfield's oeuvre that makes me think that he's a major league player. I think an argument can be made that Camargo (outside of one season when the ball was filled with helium) is a AAAA player. I see Mayfield as a AAA player.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    We need a back-up SS and I don't think Camargo can fill that role, but there's nothing I can see in Mayfield's oeuvre that makes me think that he's a major league player. I think an argument can be made that Camargo (outside of one season when the ball was filled with helium) is a AAAA player. I see Mayfield as a AAA player.
    If Camargo has another Camargo season with the addition of Chipper coaching him, it may be time to move on from him and use his money on someone more useful.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    If Camargo has another Camargo season with the addition of Chipper coaching him, it may be time to move on from him and use his money on someone more useful.
    Camargo projected an average-driven slap hitter with decent defensive tools when he first hit the big leagues. Then he hit 19 HRs and thought he was someone else. Almost anyone can have a season and then revert to what they really are as a player. He's gotten too big for SS, so it's legitimate to question whether he has any real value now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-25-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I think it’s time to move on from Camargo now and use his money on someone more useful.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Super (02-25-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I think it’s time to move on from Camargo now and use his money on someone more useful.
    If he still has that nose ring this year he should definitely be cut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    If he still has that nose ring this year he should definitely be cut
    Jpx likes nose rings and bleached hair.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Jpx likes nose rings and bleached hair.
    damn leftists are runing america with their love of nose rings smh
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    ·
    1m
    The #Braves today acquired cash from the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for INF Jack Mayfield.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    ·
    1m
    The #Braves today acquired cash from the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for INF Jack Mayfield.
    At first I thought that was gonna say "LA Dodgers", and I immediately thought mayfield would be an impact player.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    ·
    1m
    Norm Cash, Dave Cash, or Kevin Cash?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    The blitz of signing fringe major league or career minor league OFers continues... Terrance Gore signed to a minor league contract

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-25-2021), jpx7 (02-25-2021)