Page 157 of 229 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,140 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Did the Dodgers exceed the salary cap before this year?

The Dodgers payroll right now is 234 million.

If you exceed the luxury tax, you have to pay the following as a competitive balance tax:

20 percent tax on all overages. A club exceeding the threshold for a second consecutive season will see that figure rise to 30 percent, and three or more straight seasons of exceeding the threshold comes with a 50 percent luxury tax.

And here are limits. I'm not sure if this is their first time over the luxury tax or not.

2017: $195 million
    2018: $197 million
    2019: $206 million
    2020: $208 million
    2021: $210 million

If this is their first time they will have to pay 24 million x 20% or 4.8 million. So basically they said f it, we'll pay Bauer 40 million this year and just figure out where to find the extra 5 million.

Now let's say they sign Turner for 15 million, their tax would be 39 million x 20% or 7.8 million. Peanuts to them in the grand scheme of things. Where things get hairy is if they keep doing this. If they get to 50% that tax gets expensive real fast.

But my previous point still stands: mlb needs a hard salary cap. These teams that have a annual salary of 200+ million do not care about an extra 5-10 million in taxes. They wrap that overage into their operating budget.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,366 Posts
    Man Bauer trolled the **** out of the Mets though. Sort of funny.
    Coppy

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (02-05-2021), jpx7 (02-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Lol I’ll only laugh if this doesn’t cause the Mets to panic and sign someone we actually want to sign, or drive up the price on someone we want to sign.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-05-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Lol I’ll only laugh if this doesn’t cause the Mets to panic and sign someone we actually want to sign, or drive up the price on someone we want to sign.
    Panic spending is never a good thing for A GM so if the Mets wanna do that go for it. It is pretty clear no one’s driving a price up on AA at this point
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    It was pretty much lose/lose for the Braves but would have hurt more if he went to the Mets.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    their OF is full
    That's not the reason Ozuna doesn't make sense for them.

They need a CF - since Ozuna can't play defense in LF any better than Dominic Smith, why on earth would they sign Ozuna?

Bauer would look great at the top of anyone's rotation, but the Mutts will be better off signing JBJ and trading Smith. Packaging Smith with Brett Baty and J. T. Ginn and sending them to Colorado for German Marquez would make all sorts of sense for them if they added JBJ - they'd have Marquez as a replacement for Stroman or Syndergaard next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Did the Dodgers exceed the salary cap before this year?

The Dodgers payroll right now is 234 million.

If you exceed the luxury tax, you have to pay the following as a competitive balance tax:

20 percent tax on all overages. A club exceeding the threshold for a second consecutive season will see that figure rise to 30 percent, and three or more straight seasons of exceeding the threshold comes with a 50 percent luxury tax.

And here are limits. I'm not sure if this is their first time over the luxury tax or not.

2017: $195 million
    2018: $197 million
    2019: $206 million
    2020: $208 million
    2021: $210 million

If this is their first time they will have to pay 24 million x 20% or 4.8 million. So basically they said f it, we'll pay Bauer 40 million this year and just figure out where to find the extra 5 million.

Now let's say they sign Turner for 15 million, their tax would be 39 million x 20% or 7.8 million. Peanuts to them in the grand scheme of things. Where things get hairy is if they keep doing this. If they get to 50% that tax gets expensive real fast.

But my previous point still stands: mlb needs a hard salary cap. These teams that have a annual salary of 200+ million do not care about an extra 5-10 million in taxes. They wrap that overage into their operating budget.
    First time offenders.

And as I mentioned earlier, they can pretty easily move Kelly or Jansen if they want to make that number go down.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Panic spending is never a good thing for A GM so if the Mets wanna do that go for it. It is pretty clear no one’s driving a price up on AA at this point
    I would prefer that not to happen too. I don’t want to miss out on someone we were likely to sign bc they panicked and made it rain.

The more I think about it I don’t think they go after Ozuna. I keep hearing they are in the market for a cf, not a corner. They want to move Nimmo to a corner and Ozuna just doesn’t fit that mold.

It’s us or Tampa/another imaginary team for Ozuna. Maybe Ozuna’s camp is using Mish as a mouthpiece to drive up his price. Tampa signing him makes absolutely no sense. Didn’t someone say Mish is good friends with Ozuna? Would make sense that he’s helping him out by creating false news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    First time offenders.

And as I mentioned earlier, they can pretty easily move Kelly or Jansen if they want to make that number go down.
    Ok so they’re basically paying an extra 5 million now. They don’t care. That’s peanuts to them. They still may sign Turner and bump that luxury tax up to ~8 million. It’s not a big deal to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    The Dodgers are pursuing Ozuna, per SI MLB. Unreal.

​​​​​​​
    According to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, the Braves are the favorites to re-sign Ozuna, which makes sense considering how little the team has added to its offense this winter. Also in the mix are the White Sox, Rays and Dodgers, though Los Angeles is still pursuing free agent third baseman Justin Turner. If Turner returns, the Dodgers would likely move on from Ozuna, per Feinsand.
    Last edited by UNCBlue012; 02-05-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    They were named several days ago on MLBTR as a possible 3rd team with Braves and Rays.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

​​​​​​​
    According to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, the Braves are the favorites to re-sign Ozuna, which makes sense considering how little the team has added to its offense this winter. Also in the mix are the White Sox, Rays and Dodgers, though Los Angeles is still pursuing free agent third baseman Justin Turner. If Turner returns, the Dodgers would likely move on from Ozuna, per Feinsand.
    This is just his manager trying to drive the price up for Ozuna. Where would he play with the Dodgers?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

​​​​​​​
    That's only if they dont keep Turner. But i mean, i guess in the hypothetical world, they could go like... Will Smith- C, Belly- 1B, 2B- Lux, SS- Seager, Muncy- 3B, LF- Ozuna, Betts- CF, RF- Pollock, and Chris Taylor fills the Kike role. Dont see it though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-05-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    That's only if they dont keep Turner. But i mean, i guess in the hypothetical world, they could go like... Will Smith- C, Belly- 1B, 2B- Lux, SS- Seager, Muncy- 3B, LF- Ozuna, Betts- CF, RF- Pollock, and Chris Taylor fills the Kike role. Dont see it though.
    They’d be defensively downgrading at two-thirds of the field.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Hector Gomez reporting that the Braves and Ozuna are close to a multi year agreement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Please Hector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Hector Gomez reporting that the Braves and Ozuna are close to a multi year agreement
    Panic move by AA!!!!! Just kidding. Is Hector Gomez a legit source?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    He’s been wrong a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I'm about to walk into Costco and if this happens while I'm inside I'll legit run around screaming on excitement. C’mon!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Sounds like he gets some right, some wrong... just nice to be a little hopeful