Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Rosenthal's latest notes column says the Braves seriously talked to the Rockies about Arenado, but the money was too much with Freeman's upcoming free agency and other young players coming in to big money soon.

Also flat out says the Indians aren't trading Ramirez.
    If they are not trading we still need to work to improve our bullpen and bench!

We need to move some pieces.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Hechavarria signed with Chiba Lotte on Christmas day.
    Well, he’d still be fine!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-06-2021), jpx7 (02-06-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    So A’s selling?
    I wouldn't think so. Andrus was bad in 2020, but it was 2020 so one has to throw out performance to some extent. Unless Texas sent some dollars with Andrus, the A's are committing to $28.5 MM ($14.25 for 21 and $14.25 for 22), which doesn't strike me as a team in sell mode. Andrus' performance has ticked downward after solid seasons in 2016 and 2017, so maybe that's the same trend that hits a lot of guys in their early-30s. But my guess is he'll be able to perform well enough to warrant the deal.

On a side note, it's difficult to believe that it will be 14 years at the coming trade deadline that we traded Andrus in the Teixeira trade and Andrus is the last guy standing (Neftali Feliz is a non-roster invite with the Phillies). That day is a day that will live in infamy on the old Scout board. Gnashing to teeth and rending of garments. I was anti-trade at the time, but looking back, I didn't realize how good Teixeira was. The bonehead move by the front office then helmed by Mr. Suspenders was not signing him to an extension before making the deal.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021), Mrs. Meta (02-06-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Rosenthal's latest notes column says the Braves seriously talked to the Rockies about Arenado, but the money was too much with Freeman's upcoming free agency and other young players coming in to big money soon.

Also flat out says the Indians aren't trading Ramirez.
    He's not the first to hear this. We're obviously still in the middle of the silly season, so it's always almost impossible to know who's being fed the right information.

With Ozuna in the mix for most of (if not all) the expected window, if there's not a Ramirez/Chapman/Suarez deal to be made, AA's probably right to hold onto everybody at this point. There are plenty of pen options Rosenthal/Melancon/Greene/Petit/Kintzler) and LH bench bats (Mazara/Reddick/Bruce/Miller/Shaw/Cabrera) available without giving up any prospects or sacrificing pitching depth. That only leaves the backup SS as a potential question mark, and if AA can add one or two of those pen arms and bench bats on 1 year/$2-$4 million deals it will be pretty easy to live with that - Shewmake probably isn't THAT far away. The offense will have stayed intact, the rotation is substantially improved, the pen won't be much (if at all) weaker, and the bench will arguably be better than last year.

If he can pull that off, the Ozuna return probably makes this team one of the top 3 favorites in the NL even if the Mutts add JBJ and another SP. Doing that without giving up any of the depth or prospects makes this offseason a huge success IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I wouldn't think so. Andrus was bad in 2020, but it was 2020 so one has to throw out performance to some extent. Unless Texas sent some dollars with Andrus, the A's are committing to $28.5 MM ($14.25 for 21 and $14.25 for 22), which doesn't strike me as a team in sell mode. Andrus' performance has ticked downward after solid seasons in 2016 and 2017, so maybe that's the same trend that hits a lot of guys in their early-30s. But my guess is he'll be able to perform well enough to warrant the deal.

On a side note, it's difficult to believe that it will be 14 years at the coming trade deadline that we traded Andrus in the Teixeira trade and Andrus is the last guy standing (Neftali Feliz is a non-roster invite with the Phillies). That day is a day that will live in infamy on the old Scout board. Gnashing to teeth and rending of garments. I was anti-trade at the time, but looking back, I didn't realize how good Teixeira was. The bonehead move by the front office then helmed by Mr. Suspenders was not signing him to an extension before making the deal.
    Rangers are sending $13.5 million - roughly a draw.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-06-2021)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Question about the bench. Do we have anyone on current roster that can comfortably play SS if Dansby needs a day off?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Question about the bench. Do we have anyone on current roster that can comfortably play SS if Dansby needs a day off?
    Adrianza.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-06-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    If they are not trading we still need to work to improve our bullpen and bench!

We need to move some pieces.
    I wish we could just sign Turner then but oh well just roll with what we have I guess.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

The A's are reportedly receiving $13.5m in the deal, so it appears the primary goal is cutting the $30.25m they owed Khris Davis this year across two seasons down to $16.75m, and then spreading out that remaining amount over two seasons. I think the fact that Andrus can play a competent SS (and is defensively flexible, unlike Davis) is an ancillary benefit; but payroll relief is the primary motivation.

Nonetheless, that doesn't necessarily mean they're selling—and it was reported on the heels of this trade that they re-signed Mike Fiers for $3.5m—as much as this is just how Oakland operates year-to-year.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-06-2021), clvclv (02-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Who are the realistic LHH OF out there in our price range?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Markakis minor league deal and veteran leadership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I don't expect them to make the team out of spring training, but Waters and Shewmake may be ready by the end of the season.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't expect them to make the team out of spring training, but Waters and Shewmake may be ready by the end of the season.
    Shewmake making the team would be great. If he can hit, he's exactly what we need... a LHH that can play all over the IF

19. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-07-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Shewmake making the team would be great. If he can hit, he's exactly what we need... a LHH that can play all over the IF
    And inexpensive, which would allow us to allocate funds elsewhere, such as the bullpen.

I really would like to return our loaded pen from last year. Having 3 or 4 studs back there makes life stress free and easy when we have a lead in the 6th.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Markakis minor league deal and veteran lairdership.
    FIFY
    Get off my lawn!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-07-2021), nsacpi (02-06-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Brad Miller or Jay Bruce are my choices for LH bench player.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-07-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I could get on board with some Brad Miller. He’s basically what dumb people think Camargo is.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-06-2021 at 07:08 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Nationals sign Kyle Schwarber for 10 millions and we sign Ozuna for a multi year and the first year 12 millions thats crazy. 🤣

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I could get on board with some Brad Miller. He’s basically what dumb people think Camargo is.
    imagine slandering someone as handsome as Camargo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Mike Petriello said LA offered Ozuna a two-year deal before he signed with the Braves.