Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Disagree. The Pads added a good one and good two with 3 years of control each. To do so they only traded one of their top 8 prospects. They lost one, top 100 guy and a 2-3 Win starter.

This is not an all in move. They still have a ton of ammo and/or cost controlled players in those 7 top 100 prospects they did not trade.

Yes, Yu's 34, 35, 36 yo seasons are risky. But it's not a ton of money, especially when you are paying Tatis and others peanuts.

If we go back to regular playoffs, I think the we have to win the division. I don't see the WC coming out of the east with the Pads/Dodgers in a much worse division than the East.
    💯
    Kelly Johnson is Utley-lite

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The more I thought about it, I don't think this deal is that bad at all for the Cubs. The prospects they received may be a ways away, but it serves them on a couple of levels. Their farm system was depleted by all the "flags fly forever" trades they made a few years back so they've re-stocked to some extent. At the same time, some of the prospect capital can be flipped for guys who could help the big league club and are less expensive than what they've had. Cubs could do a fairly quick re-tool.
    If Davies has a nice 1st half, they would surely flip him for several more prospects if they aren't in contention. This trade also allows them to pseudo compete in 2021 since Davies is a solid starter to replace Darvish and it frees up a good amount of cash to make some upgrades in other areas.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-29-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'd rather doubt that's the way they go either - just pointing out the fact that they could become a much better team that way. They're not going to get the type of haul they'd like for Bryant or Baez, so it would probably be worth a shot if they're not broke - they might even be better off from a rebuilding perspective if they offered QOs to Bryant and Baez and got compensation picks for them. Management would arguably save a little face with fans since they could say "we tried to keep them" instead of trading one or both. If the Reds do have to move one or two of their important pieces, their only competition in the Central would be the Cards. There's little doubt they'd probably be a better team than in 2020 with moves like that, and their payroll wouldn't have increased. MUCH better defensively, their rotation would be worlds deeper (Hendricks/Odorizzi/Paxton/Davies would be really solid if healthy), and they could use Alzolay and Marquez in the pen.

Like most, I fully expect them to move Bryant as well (although fans will be disappointed with the return).
    People are sleeping on the Brewers for some reason. Several of their players had very unlucky seasons in 2020. They will also get Cain back as well. I would expect a nice bounce back for the Brew Crew.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-30-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    People are sleeping on the Brewers for some reason. Several of their players had very unlucky seasons in 2020. They will also get Cain back as well. I would expect a nice bounce back for the Brew Crew.
    Afraid I just don't see it. I definitely expect Yelich to bounce back, but outside of the 35 year old Cain (who won't have played in 18 months) and Hiura they don't have any offensive pieces who belong on a first-division club, and once you get past Woodruff and Burnes their rotation is a huge question mark.

LOTS of money to spend, sure, but this market isn't exactly flush with players to fill several of the holes they need to fill. Even if it was, how many would have Milwaukee as one of the top destinations on their list - especially since they barely look like an outside threat in the weakest division (at best), and would need to sign SEVERAL pieces before even thinking about being a threat to the teams at the top of the East and West? They REALLY need to trade Hader now while they can get a big return for him IMO - can you imagine the kind of haul they'd get from the Dodgers for three years of him at arbitration values?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    The friars have a lot left in the tank but these trades start to build salaries and 40 man issues. I am not a Darvish believer and they now have his salary plus a meh catcher for what 3 years now. Darvish feasted on crap offenses last year. I doubt he does as well next year. Then they have a lot of guys hitting arb over the next 3 years. Plus need to promote the top guys soon. It will be interesting to watch how Prepler navigates these next few years. Especially if some of his high priced guys start to flounder.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Afraid I just don't see it. I definitely expect Yelich to bounce back, but outside of the 35 year old Cain (who won't have played in 18 months) and Hiura they don't have any offensive pieces who belong on a first-division club, and once you get past Woodruff and Burnes their rotation is a huge question mark.

LOTS of money to spend, sure, but this market isn't exactly flush with players to fill several of the holes they need to fill. Even if it was, how many would have Milwaukee as one of the top destinations on their list - especially since they barely look like an outside threat in the weakest division (at best), and would need to sign SEVERAL pieces before even thinking about being a threat to the teams at the top of the East and West? They REALLY need to trade Hader now while they can get a big return for him IMO - can you imagine the kind of haul they'd get from the Dodgers for three years of him at arbitration values?
    Cain did play a few games last season. And they were roughly a .500 team despite struggles by Yelich and Hiura and no Cain. Currently they need a 3b, 1b, and a SP. We'll see how they finish their roster out, but they easily have the best player and the best pitching duo in a division that is currently very weak. And 9/10 FAs don't care what a team's playoff hopes are. They want the most money, and if Milwaukee is the team offering that, then that is where they'll sign.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-29-2020 at 11:58 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-30-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Disagree. The Pads added a good one and good two with 3 years of control each. To do so they only traded one of their top 8 prospects. They lost one, top 100 guy and a 2-3 Win starter.

This is not an all in move. They still have a ton of ammo and/or cost controlled players in those 7 top 100 prospects they did not trade.

Yes, Yu's 34, 35, 36 yo seasons are risky. But it's not a ton of money, especially when you are paying Tatis and others peanuts.

If we go back to regular playoffs, I think the we have to win the division. I don't see the WC coming out of the east with the Pads/Dodgers in a much worse division than the East.
    There are 2 WCs in the regular playoffs

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Cain did play a few games last season. And they were roughly a .500 team despite struggles by Yelich and Hiura and no Cain. Currently they need a 3b, 1b, and a SP. We'll see how they finish their roster out, but they easily have the best player and the best pitching duo in a division that is currently very weak. And 9/10 FAs don't care what a team's playoff hopes are. They want the most money, and if Milwaukee is the team offering that, then that is where they'll sign.
    This is the problem for them IMO. Encarnacion/Braun/Murphy/Thames/Moreland will be a difference-maker at 1B? Shaw/Marwin Gonzalez/Frazier/Franco/Gyorko at 3B? They have money, and ought to be able to land a decent SP to put in their #3 slot, but where are they going to find offensive help? Yelich is going to have to return to MVP-level production, Cain will have to be able to hide from Father Time, and Hiura has plenty of questions to answer.

The Central is going to be weak so anyone adding probably has a "chance" to win it, but neither of the wildcards will come from there and it's probably fair to say whoever wins it will be an underdog in the opening round of the playoffs. They don't have any help coming from their system in 2021, and certainly don't have the kinds of pieces in it to make a play for any of the big names presumed to be available on the corners (IF or OF) via trade. If you were Attanasio, would you feel comfortable telling Stearns to go ahead and spend big on the free-agents you're likely to be in on in this class?
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-29-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Boob Nightengale: The Chicago #Cubs, after trading Yu Darvish and non-tendering Kyle Schwarber, are now extensively shopping catcher Willson Contreras. Contreras is projected to earn at least $5 million and perhaps as much as $7.4 million in salary arbitration, per

13. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-30-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Boob Nightengale: The Chicago #Cubs, after trading Yu Darvish and non-tendering Kyle Schwarber, are now extensively shopping catcher Willson Contreras. Contreras is projected to earn at least $5 million and perhaps as much as $7.4 million in salary arbitration, per
    Wouldn't schwarber be a good platoon bat?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Wouldn't schwarber be a good platoon bat?
    For an AL team

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

Tatis is arb-eligible starting in 2022. You are right they only traded 1 top prospect but it's more the money they're taking on. They arent a big market.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-30-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    This is the problem for them IMO. Encarnacion/Braun/Murphy/Thames/Moreland will be a difference-maker at 1B? Shaw/Marwin Gonzalez/Frazier/Franco/Gyorko at 3B? They have money, and ought to be able to land a decent SP to put in their #3 slot, but where are they going to find offensive help? Yelich is going to have to return to MVP-level production, Cain will have to be able to hide from Father Time, and Hiura has plenty of questions to answer.

The Central is going to be weak so anyone adding probably has a "chance" to win it, but neither of the wildcards will come from there and it's probably fair to say whoever wins it will be an underdog in the opening round of the playoffs. They don't have any help coming from their system in 2021, and certainly don't have the kinds of pieces in it to make a play for any of the big names presumed to be available on the corners (IF or OF) via trade. If you were Attanasio, would you feel comfortable telling Stearns to go ahead and spend big on the free-agents you're likely to be in on in this class?
    You don't have to spend big on FAs to make upgrades. CJ Cron, Jose Martinez, or even Ryan Braun could provide some value at 1b on a 1 year deal. 3b could be upgraded by Asdrubal Cabrera. The Brewers don't have to make big splashes to get the sort of upgrades needed to win the division. It's a weak division that hasn't seen 1 team make any improvements. In fact, the 3 of the 5 teams have gotten significantly worse since the end of the season.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-30-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

There's 2 WC's in a regular playoff format. Even then, Braves are just as good if not better than the Padres if we add a couple more bats.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I really, really don't believe that Tom Ricketts is in such dire financial straits that he can't afford even $7.4 million for a player of Willson Contreras' caliber.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-30-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Does anyone here know where Bryce Ball spent 2020? Any ideas as to Braves plans for him? Guesses?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Does anyone here know where Bryce Ball spent 2020? Any ideas as to Braves plans for him? Guesses?
    He was on the 60-man roster and participated at the alternate site. In the absence of the pandemic, it's my guess he would have started the year in High-A and had he done well there finished the year in Mississippi.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-30-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Hopefully, AA takes this hard-earned $600 stimulus check and invests in a big middle-of-the-order bat. I’m so sick of him sitting on his hands while other teams make big-time trades. Sad!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-29-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Hopefully, AA takes this hard-earned $600 stimulus check and invests in a big middle-of-the-order bat. I’m so sick of him sitting on his hands while other teams make big-time trades. Sad!
    Sarcasm? Braves have been one of the more active teams this winter. He's probably waiting for full confirmation on DH before making some moves on that front.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-30-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Only truly big deals/signings have been pitchers which we dont need yet..