Page 91 of 229 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm not an expert on Mets prospects, or anything baseball, but this seems really light.

Mets are good. I know they just got to players that are making real money, so the surplus value may be low. But they got talented players.

Value is one thing. But you have a limited number of roster spots. Getting impact guys matters. I don't see either guy as being on a bad deal. Yes there is risk in 12-14 million for 34 and 35 yo player. But that is not a crazy risk.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Full trade, per sources.

To Mets: Francisco Lindor and Carlos Carrasco.

To Indians: Amed Rosario, Andrés Giménez, Josh Wolf, Gimenez, Isaiah Greene.
    Indians love to acquire these major league ready pieces and in turn get underwhelming returns. They did the same with Clevinger. It's because they don't want to go through a rebuild, I get it, but hard to be happy as an Indians fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm not an expert on Mets prospects, or anything baseball, but this seems really light.

Mets are good. I know they just got to players that are making real money, so the surplus value may be low. But they got talented players.

Value is one thing. But you have a limited number of roster spots. Getting impact guys matters. I don't see either guy as being on a bad deal. Yes there is risk in 12-14 million for 34 and 35 yo player. But that is not a crazy risk.
    Quite simply it came down to they had the ability to add salary, and pretty much nobody else did. So the Indians had no choice. Who else were they going to trade Lindor too, realistically? Then you have the fact that the Indians overvalue major league ready pieces like Gimenez and Rosario, it really weighs the package down.

A trade like this just really shows the issue baseball still has with small market teams competing. The Indians literally can't afford to keep their best players and have to send them to a big market team.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-07-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Wow. Good for NY. That's a super strong rotation even if they don't get Bauer, though still with depth issues if they don't bring in anyone else.

I guess Rosario still has a good bit of upside. I was a little shocked to find out he just turned 25. But it seems like Freddie Galvis could have given them similar value for about 2-3 more million and maybe could have gotten a better prospect haul.

I don't know enough about the Mets system to know whether they overpaid or not, but Lindor and Carassco is a heckuva upgrade to their team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Indians love to acquire these major league ready pieces and in turn get underwhelming returns. They did the same with Clevinger. It's because they don't want to go through a rebuild, I get it, but hard to be happy as an Indians fan.
    I mean it's kind of worked for them up to this point. A lot of that is luck, but still, it's worked.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    So Giminez was a 50 FV graded SS by Fangraphs before this season. His scouting profile suggests he's your typical good defensive SS with not much power and questions about his bat. My 2 bit scouting opinion is that this describes an Amed Rosario clone.

Wolf was their 2019 2nd round pick (no. 53 overall). Talented RHP with a good mid 90's fastball and good curve, but that's about as far as the scouting reports go. 40 FV grade on Fangraphs.

Greene was drafted this year with the Comp pick the got for Wheeler. So figure that's what Cleveland would have got had they just let him walk in FA with a quality offer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I mean it's kind of worked for them up to this point. A lot of that is luck, but still, it's worked.
    Well we're still in the short term. They traded Bauer, Clevinger and now Lindor, and didn't really get back even one premium prospect in return. They better hope one of the major league talent they acquired (Franmil Reyes, Josh Naylor or Ahmed Rosario/Andres Gimenez) turns into something.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-07-2021), jpx7 (01-07-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not sure what all the hub-bub is about - I was told there was absolutely no reason to worry about the Mets when I started talking about them a while back. Can't imagine this moves the needle, they'll be battling it out with the Gnats for 4th place, right?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Of course if you're an Indians' fan, you could easily point to the fact that they've still...

1.) Got a really deep rotation that's under control through 2025 (Bieber through 2024) making no money
    2.) Still have a legitimate MVP candidate at 3B making no money that they could turn into serious major league ready pieces if they decide to move him
    3.) Are really deep up the middle with Jimenez, Rosario, Freeman, and Arias
    4.) Have a legitimate corner bat that will be promoted this year in Nolan Jones

You could make the argument that if they decided to finish blowing things up and they turned Ramirez into Riley, Waters, one of our Catchers, and one of our arms they'd have set themselves up to be relevant in their division for another decade. Take Ramirez' money off their books and their current payroll would be around $27 million. With money to spend, playing time to hand out, and the DH available, Cleveland would be a really good landing spot for some of the less expensive solid bats that were cut loose this winter. They could give Pederson a chance to play everyday in RF, platoon Schwarber or Rosario and Duvall with Naylor, Reyes, and Bauers in LF, 1B, or at DH, and bring in a couple solid veteran RPs on the cheap to set up for Karinchak all on 2-3 year deals with Waters in CF and Riley at 3B - they'd still be in position to "surprise" in that division with that pitching staff and they'd have plenty of money available to try to lock up any of their young group if they look like they're going to be good.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure what all the hub-bub is about - I was told there was absolutely no reason to worry about the Mets when I started talking about them a while back. Can't imagine this moves the needle, they'll be battling it out with the Gnats for 4th place, right?
    I thought you debunked the Mets because AA is going to bring back Duvall.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Mets and Cubs have had "recent" talks regarding Bryant going to the Mets...not sure if he was a fallback or if this would be in addition to the Lindor move.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Well, the Mets are certainly scary now...for at least 1 season. Them and the Padres are taking advantage of being the only teams willing to spend.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-08-2021), jpx7 (01-07-2021), NYCBrave (01-07-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    no one said this.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    go get Suarez.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,366 Posts
    Still not sure why this is so scary to us. CC is at that golden age of pitching where he should start to decline. Lindor is one year rental that won’t move the needle enough. Great on the Muts for making a splash with names but I am far from worried about them at this point.
    Coppy

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Still not sure why this is so scary to us. CC is at that golden age of pitching where he should start to decline. Lindor is one year rental that won’t move the needle enough. Great on the Muts for making a splash with names but I am far from worried about them at this point.
    Many of our players they should improve starting with Albies and Acuña. We have the reigning MVP and our rotation is in better shape. I know AA don’t finish yet.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-07-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well, the Mets are certainly scary now...for at least 1 season. Them and the Padres are taking advantage of being the only teams willing to spend.
    They'll probably re-sign Lindor.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not sure they make this move without some backline that Lindor wont re-sign. I agree it's too early to hit the panic button, and AA has more moves to make.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    They'll probably re-sign Lindor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Not sure they make this move without some backline that Lindor wont re-sign. I agree it's too early to hit the panic button, and AA has more moves to make.
    He’s going to cost in excess of $300m, even should he re-sign with them. Still, for the package they gave up, this was a no-brainier.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    He’s going to cost in excess of $300m, even should he re-sign with them. Still, for the package they gave up, this was a no-brainier.
    God I hope they give him 300 million. He is a fantastic player. But I would hate to pay anyone that much.
    Coppy