Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    MLBTR sums it up very well:

“The MLBPA clearly doesn’t view the addition of a designated hitter in the National League to be as advantageous to its side as the expansion of playoffs is to the league. “

The owners think they can toss the players this bone in exchange for a windfall of cash generated by more postseason games. The players were right to reject this terrible offer. It’s laughably bad, and thankfully the players have competent labor lawyers.

At the end of the day both sides want the DH, so once the owners agree to a more fair split of the increased postseason revenue this should be settled. How long they will keep roster construction stuck in the mud is the only question.
    The playoff thing makes me mad b/c it should be a win win.

But it's not. The owners just keep wanting to take the players. They throw in some token money to make it look like something.

I hate the expanded playoffs. I think it killed the trade deadline last year. I think it cheapens the season. If you are going to play 162 the regular season means something.

Come up with a system, probably a bye system, that rewards excellence more. That way teams will want to spend to get a bye. Get extra money for extra playoffs and come up with a mechanism to share that with your labor force.

I'd think I like the idea of 150 games or so. Division winners in or 3 best teams in. And then the next 4 teams play a tournament and the winner is the wild card. Tournament is exciting. Good regular season teams get to rest. Teams would trade and spend to say out of the tournament.

I'd still prefer 3 division winners and the next best team is the wildcard.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Unless something has changed then incentives can only be based on benchmarks like innings pitched, ABs, games closed, etc. and not any kind of statistical achievement.
    Maybe you can do innings played. You'd have to be less aggressive on the incentives. Maybe you set it up as playing 9 innings of 140-150 games. If he gets pulled for defensive replacement then he makes less.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Pitchers did not hit all of last year. Nor run the bases. It's going to be a big talking point when a NL pitcher gets hurt hitting or running this year.

Good news for the Culberson's of the world that there is no DH. Now our roster construction may change b/c we have to have PHs and more versatility.
    Why will this help Culberson? Texas has the DH.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    MLBTR sums it up very well:

“The MLBPA clearly doesn’t view the addition of a designated hitter in the National League to be as advantageous to its side as the expansion of playoffs is to the league. “

The owners think they can toss the players this bone in exchange for a windfall of cash generated by more postseason games. The players were right to reject this terrible offer. It’s laughably bad, and thankfully the players have competent labor lawyers.

At the end of the day both sides want the DH, so once the owners agree to a more fair split of the increased postseason revenue this should be settled. How long they will keep roster construction stuck in the mud is the only question.
    At this point you simply have to assume that question isn't going to be answered in time for you to fill out your roster if you're in AA's shoes - time to make the decision he hoped like *ell he wasn't going to have to make. Can you put up with Ozuna's defense this year or not? If the answer's "no", it's time to get Pederson/Rosario/Mazara and Duvall on the phone and get on with things.

Ozuna and Cruz are going to be overpaid whether they're an option for all 30 teams or only 15 - if you don't have the resources to give Marcell 4 years/$80+ million (or simply don't want to), you can't keep screwing around with the other guys and put yourself in the position that you not only don't get him but also wind up shopping for the LFs left at Dollar General when Pederson/Rosario/Duvall sign elsewhere. This team's too close to winning a title to do that.

Sorry AA, but it's time to *hit or get off the pot.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-25-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He's not very good defensively (or so it appears from the two-dimensional representation), but he had a great 2019 with the bat. Cancer treatment is worrisome. It was Stage 3 colon cancer which is pretty serious stuff, so I don't know what the corresponding physical effects of the chemotherapy may have on his baseball abilities.

PS--I'm a little pissed about the Sandoval signing. Why even waste the effort. Probably some humor on Twitter about the signing, but I just don't see this as a move any team that is serious about anything would consider.
    Not sure what harm it does - particularly when you think about the fact that the only two left-handed IF bats in the organization not named Ozzie or Freddie at the AA or higher level are Camargo and Shewmake.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

But it's not. The owners just keep wanting to take the players. They throw in some token money to make it look like something.

I hate the expanded playoffs. I think it killed the trade deadline last year. I think it cheapens the season. If you are going to play 162 the regular season means something.

Come up with a system, probably a bye system, that rewards excellence more. That way teams will want to spend to get a bye. Get extra money for extra playoffs and come up with a mechanism to share that with your labor force.

I'd think I like the idea of 150 games or so. Division winners in or 3 best teams in. And then the next 4 teams play a tournament and the winner is the wild card. Tournament is exciting. Good regular season teams get to rest. Teams would trade and spend to say out of the tournament.

baseball sucks now.

the only reason to pay attention is to go get drunk and stuff your face at a game. no reason to give a **** about who wins or loses. although i do take some pleasure in not paying for the free bilasport stream. **** those greedy ****s.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure what harm it does - particularly when you think about the fact that the only two left-handed IF bats in the organization not named Ozzie or Freddie at the AA or higher level are Camargo and Shewmake.
    Can't play anywhere on defense so I don't know how he can be kept on the big league roster if they go back to 25-man rosters. In the minors, he just takes ABs from someone who may be able to contribute.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I'm not that big a fan of the expanded playoffs. Like you say, the regular season should mean something. Your 150-game option is an interesting one and something like that may be a middle ground as opposed to the NBA/NHL "if you're breathing, you're in" approach.

As for the trade deadline, they could kill that every year as far as I'm concerned. It was June 15 when I was growing up and I can't remember when they kicked it out to July 31. Only thing that seems to happen is the rich get richer and the Pirates get worse.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 01-25-2021 at 07:33 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-26-2021), jpx7 (01-26-2021), Tapate50 (01-25-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Can't play anywhere on defense so I don't know how he can be kept on the big league roster if they go back to 25-man rosters. In the minors, he just takes ABs from someone who may be able to contribute.
    Just a guess, but until they get the virus under control better than it is at present I'm kinda expecting the 26-man rosters and taxi squads to stay in place - at least at the start of the season.

I guess you have a point about Panda - I didn't think about the fact that he'll be taking ABs away from Mayfield and Kazmar.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Sounds to me like the PA is slow on the take. Possible late start, reluctant to help owners earn the money to pay them, dont want extra pay for playoffs. If covid doesnt get results soon, what is the chance MLB will cancel this season to force union down for 22?
    Bzzzt, wrongo.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I don't know who Dan Clark is, but he's got a blue checky marky thingy... this would be incredible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I've mentioned Jose Ramirez since last off-season. Perfect fit for what we need. He'll be expensive, but would give us another elite player for 3 team friendly years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I've mentioned Jose Ramirez since last off-season. Perfect fit for what we need. He'll be expensive, but would give us another elite player for 3 team friendly years.
    Yeah, he's been mentioned a lot, but I've never thought it was actually a possibility. With his contract, we could also afford a LFer and a reliever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I don't know who Dan Clark is, but he's got a blue checky marky thingy... this would be incredible.

there were a few fake accounts tweeting about Jose Ramirez and then Dan Clark started saying it... which is weird. He’s not Passan but he’s a decent source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    there were a few fake accounts tweeting about Jose Ramirez and then Dan Clark started saying it... which is weird. He’s not Passan but he’s a decent source.
    I'm not sure the Indians would even consider trading him yet. They still want to compete. And have trimmed enough away already to be at a level of payroll comfortable for them while getting pieces back to be competitive in the short term. Might make more sense next off season.

Regardless, do you know how much it would cost to land Ramirez? It would be an insane package most of us would not be comfortable with. Especially because his salary is so cheap. The only consolation is the Indians seem to prefer cheap major league ready talent, like what they got from the Mets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I'm not sure the Indians would even consider trading him yet. They still want to compete. And have trimmed enough away already to be at a level of payroll comfortable for them while getting pieces back to be competitive in the short term. Might make more sense next off season.

Regardless, do you know how much it would cost to land Ramirez? It would be an insane package most of us would not be comfortable with. Especially because his salary is so cheap. The only consolation is the Indians seem to prefer cheap major league ready talent, like what they got from the Mets.
    Hmm... I don't think they are still trying to compete after dumping Clevinger, Lindor, and Carrasco... the talent is simply not there anymore.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-26-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Bzzzt, wrongo.
    Care to expound. Im wrong quite often. would likd to know where.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post

Are you kidding???

He's the dude in charge of "Dan Clark Sports"!!!

FWIW, he's a part-time contributor for MASN who said he'd delete his Twitter account if Machado didn't sign with the Yankees back in 2019. Apparently he didn't keep his word.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6267458-m...machado-report
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-26-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    No one including Mrs Clark knows who is in charge of Dan Clark sports.
    Ivermectin Man

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Are you kidding???

He's the dude in charge of "Dan Clark Sports"!!!

FWIW, he's a part-time contributor for MASN who said he'd delete his Twitter account if Machado didn't sign with the Yankees back in 2019. Apparently he didn't keep his word.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6267458-m...machado-report
    He also had DJL to the Yanks with contract details before anyone else a few weeks back. He's more down than up but he gets information every once in a while.