Page 119 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    If the A's are cash strapped and desperate to clear payroll due to covid losses, I could see AA taking on Khris Davis' contract to get Chapman if it helps lower the prospect cost. You could then use Davis as part of a platoon in left.
    thank you weso1!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If you trade Rameriz you are going full rebuild. As good as Anderson is, you may be looking more at prospects. I'm not sure they'd want Riley to be honest.

You might need to go Waters + Langeliers/Contreras + Shewmake + 2 of Wilson/Touki/Davidson/Muller/Wright. The sell is you potentially fill a hole at OF, C, SS and arms with guys not that far away.
    They just traded for Gimenez, Rosario, and Arias, already had Tyler Freeman and Brayan Rocchio, and just re-signed Cesar Hernandez - what would they do with Shewmake???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I know we all need something to hold on to. Something to talk about. But look at those words. Kicking tires. Checking in on. Similar interest. All safe click bait wording with no substance.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    They just traded for Gimenez, Rosario, and Arias, already had Tyler Freeman and Brayan Rocchio, and just re-signed Cesar Hernandez - what would they do with Shewmake???
    Could play 3B, OF, etc. Shemake is older and likely to move faster than those guys. Could be flipped for someone else.

I'd like to keep him. If they are interested in our roster of low end college pitching, that would be great.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-26-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    who's been traded that's an MVP candidate with 3 years of cheap, prime control tho?
    there's no real reference for this. i'd be shocked if one of the top guys doesn't have to go in return. Waters is not headlining this kind of deal.

I don't think the Braves would even trade a volume of prospects.

But no elite prospects have changed hands at all that I recall despite a lot of big names and at least good pitchers with control moving.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I know we all need something to hold on to. Something to talk about. But look at those words. Kicking tires. Checking in on. Similar interest. All safe click bait wording with no substance.
    Which only makes those different from any other rumors that have come to fruition by being they're about the Braves.

Unfortunately with AA, anything anyone says could be true - he's shown he's willing to make huge deals before and his lieutenants leak nothing, meaning guessing what he may be in on is impossible to sound "crazy" with all the young and inexpensive talent he could deal. He could literally be in on EVERYBODY.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Adding Ramirez and Bryant into these lists of 2019-2020 stats.

xwOBA overall
    Cruz .403
    Ozuna .397
    Turner .383
    Ramirez .350
    Bryant .339

xwOBA vs LHP
    Cruz .473
    Ozuna .434
    Turner .402
    Ramirez .388
    Bryant .386

FB/LD EV
    Cruz 98.9
    Ozuna 96.4
    Turner 93.1
    Ramirez 92.5
    Bryant 92.1

These numbers tell me Ramirez' offense is more Bryant than it is Cruz/Ozuna (with Turner acting as a bridge). He obviously carries much more defensive value than those guys though.

The other benefit of Ramirez is his low salary allows room for other additions to the roster. If AA can get him for any package that doesn't contain Pache or Anderson it would be a very solid move. If he has to include one of those cornerstones he would probably be better served bringing Ozuna back.

So a Ramirez trade pretty much relies on the Indians overvaluing guys like Riley, Waters, Wright, Newk and Touki.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-26-2021), Carp (01-26-2021), clvclv (01-26-2021), NYCBrave (01-26-2021), salmagundy (01-26-2021), Southcack77 (01-26-2021), UNCBlue012 (01-26-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't think the Braves would even trade a volume of prospects.

But no elite prospects have changed hands at all that I recall despite a lot of big names and at least good pitchers with control moving.
    i don't think they will either.
    i'm only pointing out that that's what it would likely take to get JR. it would be very tough to make up his value otherwise.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

xwOBA overall
    Cruz .403
    Ozuna .397
    Turner .383
    Ramirez .350
    Bryant .339

xwOBA vs LHP
    Cruz .473
    Ozuna .434
    Turner .402
    Ramirez .388
    Bryant .386

FB/LD EV
    Cruz 98.9
    Ozuna 96.4
    Turner 93.1
    Ramirez 92.5
    Bryant 92.1

These numbers tell me Ramirez' offense is more Bryant than it is Cruz/Ozuna (with Turner acting as a bridge). He obviously carries much more defensive value than those guys though.

The other benefit of Ramirez is his low salary allows room for other additions to the roster. If AA can get him for any package that doesn't contain Pache or Anderson it would be a very solid move. If he has to include one of those cornerstones he would probably be better served bringing Ozuna back.

So a Ramirez trade pretty much relies on the Indians overvaluing guys like Riley, Waters, Wright, Newk and Touki.
    Great analysis. The main issue with trading Riley though is it just creates another hole. Ramirez would obviously be a big upgrade over Riley, but he makes a lot more money and we'd still need to spend on a LF and potentially DH.

For better or worse, I feel like we are stuck with Riley this year because he's cheap and fills a hole at a position of need.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

xwOBA overall
    Cruz .403
    Ozuna .397
    Turner .383
    Ramirez .350
    Bryant .339

xwOBA vs LHP
    Cruz .473
    Ozuna .434
    Turner .402
    Ramirez .388
    Bryant .386

FB/LD EV
    Cruz 98.9
    Ozuna 96.4
    Turner 93.1
    Ramirez 92.5
    Bryant 92.1

This is also the reason a Chapman deal would probably make the most sense AND possibly be the easiest to swallow since Oakland loves all those inexpensive 1-2 win guys.

Riley would instantly step in at 3B for them, Waters would make the minimum as Canha's 2022 replacement, Shewmake is probably better than any of their MI guys not named Puason, either of our Catchers would make a great partner for Murphy, Ball would give them an Olson/Bryant replacement at some point in the near future, and our post-hype arms (Wright, Touki, Newk, Wilson) would help them keep their pitching cheap for some time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If you trade Rameriz you are going full rebuild. As good as Anderson is, you may be looking more at prospects. I'm not sure they'd want Riley to be honest.

You might need to go Waters + Langeliers/Contreras + Shewmake + 2 of Wilson/Touki/Davidson/Muller/Wright. The sell is you potentially fill a hole at OF, C, SS and arms with guys not that far away.
    The Indians have targeted MLB players in return for both Lindor and Clevinger. They are clearly trying to rebuild on the fly.

So guys like Riley, Wright and Touki fit that bill almost perfectly. I could see the Ramirez package being similar to what they got for Clevinger...but better players involved.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Great analysis. The main issue with trading Riley though is it just creates another hole. Ramirez would obviously be a big upgrade over Riley, but he makes a lot more money and we'd still need to spend on a LF and potentially DH.

For better or worse, I feel like we are stuck with Riley this year because he's cheap and fills a hole at a position of need.
    If the Braves are getting 5+ wins from 3b for $5M, they can afford to add at LF and DH.

It would be shocking to see AA pull off a trade for an MVP candidate for a collection of spare parts, but who knows.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The Indians have targeted MLB players in return for both Lindor and Clevinger. They are clearly trying to rebuild on the fly.

So guys like Riley, Wright and Touki fit that bill almost perfectly. I could see the Ramirez package being similar to what they got for Clevinger...but better players involved.
    If that is the case, sign me up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    If the Braves are getting 5+ wins from 3b for $5M, they can afford to add at LF and DH.

It would be shocking to see AA pull off a trade for an MVP candidate for a collection of spare parts, but who knows.
    Just to clarify, Ramirez contract is for this year, plus a team option for next year and the following year. It's actually $9.4 million for 2021, and the options are $11 million and $13 million.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    If the A's are cash strapped and desperate to clear payroll due to covid losses, I could see AA taking on Khris Davis' contract to get Chapman if it helps lower the prospect cost. You could then use Davis as part of a platoon in left.
    I really want the strapped for cash deal. I was hoping we would be the advantage of ppl dumping money, not just the mets and padres.

If the As were going to run away from Cash we could take on Davis, Piscotty and Chapman for 31 million. Piscotty gets them out of 8 million next year too. If they'd take back Ender (just for money) we could take 23 million off of their books for this year and 7 million next year (Piscotty for 8 million minus 1 million for Ender's buy out). With a 40 man payroll sitting at 70 million that is a big savings.

It would be really nice for the As to truly be desperate for cash and to make a Chapman deal.

A's have to be desperate. We have to have that much room in our budget. Then the As have to want our guys.

We could give them a lot of upside 1-2 WAR guys with upside. Maybe guys like Touki, Wright, Wilson, Davidson, etc could be great in that ballpark.

I don't see it. If they are trading Chapman, don't they make that known and get bids from everyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Last edited by UNCBlue012; 01-26-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

That’s basically what the Padres trades have been....not that there were not any good players moved, but defiantly quantity over quality.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-26-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

The old pu-pu platter.

I feel like the Braves disposable assets are:

Riley, Wright, Touki, Wilson.

Waters, Langeliers or Contreras, Muller or Davidson.

Shewmake, Ball, others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    That’s basically what the Padres trades have been....not that there were not any good players moved, but defiantly quantity over quality.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but those deals have all been for players making real money. No a ton of surplus value. Teams wanting to shed money.

Chapman is in his first year of arb. Now he's likely to get expensive very fast, but not expensive yet.
    Ramirez is locked in to a cheap deal.
    Bryant seems to be the only guy who is good but without a lot of surplus value that we'd want. And per reports we are not in on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    The Phillies have signed JTR to a 5-year, $115.5M dollar contract, per Mish.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-26-2021)