Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Phillies have signed JTR to a 5-year, $115.5M dollar contract, per Mish.
    Wonder what we offered? Probably 2/50.

Impact bats are getting fewer and fewer in the open market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

I don't think JTR was ever a real impact bat for Atlanta since his offensive output was essentially less than d'Arnaud, he was more of an overall package. The impact bats are still the same.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Hopefully AA's dedication to not signing a potentially bad contract doesn't end up costing us the years we have albies and Acuna in great contracts.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i don't think the Braves were ever actually serious contenders for JTR. so i don't see this as a big deal.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-26-2021)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    I really wonder if going into the season with a starting outfield of Acuna-Pache-Inciarte is considered a legitimate option.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i don't think the Braves were ever actually serious contenders for JTR. so i don't see this as a big deal.
    It was fun while it lasted, but yeah...I wasn’t holding my breath.

We are pretty solid at catcher anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I really wonder if going into the season with a starting outfield of Acuna-Pache-Inciarte is considered a legitimate option.
    i'm going to say no, it's absolutely not. the disaster chances are far, far too high. i'd call them likely, actually.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Hopefully AA's dedication to not signing a potentially bad contract doesn't end up costing us the years we have albies and Acuna in great contracts.
    This is a real concern for me. I get GMs are judged by value deals, but we need to win. I am not for doing something crazy or irresponsible to the future, but if you have to give up one more year to get a stud then do it. The next Five years we should be going hard IMO. And the Dodgers, Mets and Padres are not going to make it easy for us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

I think you have AA’s strategy pretty well nailed.

Eventually one of these bats will bite because there won’t be enough 4+ year deals for all of them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    This is a real concern for me. I get GMs are judged by value deals, but we need to win. I am not for doing something crazy or irresponsible to the future, but if you have to give up one more year to get a stud then do it. The next Five years we should be going hard IMO. And the Dodgers, Mets and Padres are not going to make it easy for us.
    i'd argue he's already extended the contention window precisely because he's stayed out of long-term deals that almost always feature overpyaments in later years.
    so far it's worked out great.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I truly believe that how we go into the season has only a little to do with how we will look six weeks later. Service time issues, available waived or traded players, and hot or cold starts will have shaken out by then and we will have a much clearer vision of who the Braves are as a team.

That OF could open the season, and look very different in short order.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    i'd argue he's already extended the contention window precisely because he's stayed out of long-term deals that almost always feature overpyaments in later years.
    Took the best team in baseball to 7. It's working fine.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'm good with Phillies re-signing entering their post prime players to long, more expensive contracts.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What do think of a possible trade for Trey Mancini? Is it possible or even likely? Read a report that said the Orioles were wanting to defer salary through arbitration for him and another player. That doesn't bode well for thier financial outlook.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UofL_Braves View Post
    What do think of a possible trade for Trey Mancini? Is it possible or even likely? Read a report that said the Orioles were wanting to defer salary through arbitration for him and another player. That doesn't bode well for thier financial outlook.
    Seems like a reasonable target. He has an oncology history. Did not play last year. Mostly good offensive numbers. Probably a minus in the field. Does have control for another year and it's arb so you could drop him if colon cancer is an issue (as harsh as it is to write that).

Will they salary dump him? Maybe if they are that broke and the DH market has now been cut in half.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Mancini is approximately Turner if Turner couldn't play defense. Not a terrible fallback option if the DH is in play.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Baseball Dave
    3:05 Chances CLE deals Ramirez? And to who?
    Steve Adams
    3:09 The return on Ramirez would need to be overwhelming. He's controlled for something like 30-33MM over the next three years. I just can't see a team offering enough. It'd take something like multiple immediate MLB pieces and elite prospect capital. I don't even know what it'd look like ... Austin Riley, Christian Pache, Kyle Wright and then some from the Braves? He's a prime-aged MVP-caliber player being paid like a third or fourth starter.

This seems in the ballpark, but losing a long term MLB piece like Pache seems like a bad idea when bats like Ozuna and Turner are available. Considering the Braves were fine with Ozuna in LF before the DH was announced in 2020, they must still be fine with him out there for 2021. Perhaps we are blowing his defensive issues out of proportion a bit.

Replace Pache with Waters and more filler and I'm on board though. Of course, I'm the low man around here on Riley and Waters.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-26-2021 at 05:15 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (01-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I would agree with this. I'm actually glad we didn't sign Realmuto and the Phillies did. They remain a middling team who is locked into poor contracts and before long will be looking at a big rebuild.

Why guarantee big money to a catcher in his 30s?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think you have AA’s strategy pretty well nailed.

Eventually one of these bats will bite because there won’t be enough 4+ year deals for all of them.
    I hope that happens before June. Cruz--who wouldn't fit with the Braves because of the DH decision--probably goes back to the Twins on a one-year with an option and after that Ozuna is pretty much the last guy I would consider a BIG bat. A few other helpful guys, but demand is going to outstrip supply pretty quickly. I suppose one could kick the tires on either Semien or Gregorius as a possible 3B, but I'm increasingly guessing the trade market and a mid-range guy (ala Rosario) or two.

I share Russ' frustration. I get that Anthopoulos wants to get value and he's slicing and dicing to do that, but like MFII, I fear the Acuna, Pache, Inciarte trio roaming the garden if something doesn't happen soon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    My guess is AA is trying to get a big bat on a 1 year deal, and as soon as there's only 1 acceptable bat remaining he will go 3 years if needed.

It would be inconsistent logic to give a BP arm like Will Smith 3 years and then refuse to give a player like Ozuna or Turner 3 years when there are no longer any 1 year options remaining. As long as there are 1 year options remaining, it makes no sense to pony up 3 years for anyone.

So keep trying to get an impact bat on a 1 year deal, then pony up if needed. Failing to add an impact bat in not an option, and I agree with folks who say AA can't waste these years of contention because he refused to give such a bat an extra year.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-26-2021)