Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Soroka files for $2.8 million and Atlanta at $2.1 million

Dansby filed for $6.7 million, while the Braves countered at $6 million. Midpoint: $6.35 million.
    Emotionally, I pretty much always hope the players win these cases. But, just based on recent performances plus precedents, I think the Braves have a decent case with both those numbers.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Dansby filed for $6.7 million, while the Braves countered at $6 million. Midpoint: $6.35 million.
    Give both long-term deals, problem solved.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-18-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The Yankees really signed a 32 year old 2b to a 6 year deal? I know the luxury tax can be a concern, but I think I'd rather give him 3 years at like 20-25 million than give him 6 years at 90.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts

For crying out loud, pay these guys and be done with it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-17-2021), UNCBlue012 (01-18-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    For real. This isn’t some young player who is expendable. These are two star players that are future building blocks. Extremely dumb to go to arb with these guys. Especially for around 1.4 total.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    For real. This isn’t some young player who is expendable. These are two star players that are future building blocks. Extremely dumb to go to arb with these guys. Especially for around 1.4 total.
    Call me outrageous, but i'm placing the blame squarely on Luke Jackson
    Get off my lawn!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-17-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The Yankees really signed a 32 year old 2b to a 6 year deal? I know the luxury tax can be a concern, but I think I'd rather give him 3 years at like 20-25 million than give him 6 years at 90.
    Yea I found that a bit strange as well. Yankees can absorb that type of a hit in the later years though.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Yea I found that a bit strange as well. Yankees can absorb that type of a hit in the later years though.
    I think that maybe this is like the Liam Hendricks deal. Both deals are longer on paper for the financials to protect the team against the luxury tax this year and in future years. The Yanks are probably betting on 4 yrs of solid production and just paying for it over 6. Any production in years 5 and 6 is just gravy for them, and with a new CBA the luxury tax levels will be different by then any way.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnBoy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-16-2021), jpx7 (01-17-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Kinda look at this as one of those deferred salary deals from the Gnats - the difference is that D. J. will still be on the roster when the deferrals are being doled out.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Would be really interested to know whether Yates actually is one of the RPs that AA has talked to - he's apparently looking for something in the $5 million range where we'd hoped Melancon would fall...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...rby-yates.html
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-17-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    For crying out loud, pay these guys and be done with it.
    One of the few times I find myself agreeing with DOB - obviously just a feeling (with nothing concrete to base it on), but I wonder if they aren't close enough to a longer agreement with both that they can work extensions out between now and their hearing dates. TBH, this could actually work out in the Braves' favor - most reports I've seen so far mention that both guys have pretty shaky cases, so if the salary gurus can work things out where each gets better than the midpoint in 2021 they might agree to a lighter number in future years.

Carp mentioned not being opposed to simply letting Dansby play out his remaining two years of control - maybe the front office feels like they're close enough to settling with him on a number that covers next season as well. That way they'll have one less variable to consider when trying to come up with an extension for Freddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    This was on MLB Trade Rumors today. I'm not an ESPN Insider subscriber so can't read the whole article, but I'm betting it's all speculation based on AA's previous preference for one year deals. I don't believe anything has changed. Plus I still don't see who the realistic suitors of Ozuna would be.

More from Olney, who notes that the Braves “appear highly unlikely” to re-sign outfielder Marcell Ozuna. The 30-year-old slugger had an incredible season in Atlanta after signing a one-year deal last offseason. Ozuna is now in line for a much bigger multi-year accord this winter. That doesn’t fit the general approach of Braves’ GM Alex Anthopolous, who has tended to shy away from longer-term deals since taking over baseball operations. Just last winter, the Braves watched Josh Donaldson, who had starred on a similar pillow contract in 2019, walk for a four-year deal with the Twins. MLBTR projects a $72MM accord over that same length for Ozuna.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Swanson’s 2020 was largely a result of a .350 BABIP, and he doesn’t strike me as a critical guy to extend. Unless he’s looking to work for 25% of his value like Albies and Acuna are, an extension might not make sense.

Soroka was an excellent extension candidate before the injury. I’m not sure about the recovery rate from that type of injury, but it wasn’t his arm so I’m inclined to think he’s still a great extension candidate.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-18-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Swanson’s 2020 was largely a result of a .350 BABIP, and he doesn’t strike me as a critical guy to extend. Unless he’s looking to work for 25% of his value like Albies and Acuna are, an extension might not make sense.

Soroka was an excellent extension candidate before the injury. I’m not sure about the recovery rate from that type of injury, but it wasn’t his arm so I’m inclined to think he’s still a great extension candidate.
    Totally agree with your assessment of Swansons situation with the Braves. Seems if he was truly valued to the point of possible extension then there would not be a hiccup over so few dollars. As to Soroka, one exceptional year out of three does not warrant extending at this time and also Im not sure AA is the type to put big money into anyone as volatile as a pitcher with injury troubles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Totally agree with your assessment of Swansons situation with the Braves. Seems if he was truly valued to the point of possible extension then there would not be a hiccup over so few dollars. As to Soroka, one exceptional year out of three does not warrant extending at this time and also Im not sure AA is the type to put big money into anyone as volatile as a pitcher with injury troubles
    Not sure I agree on this diagnosis of Soroka so far
    Ivermectin Man

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-18-2021), JohnAdcox (01-18-2021), jpx7 (01-18-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Where are you getting 1 out of 3 years for Soroka. He has really only pitched 2 years which is why he only has two years on his service clock thus far. He has been dominating at every level. This take is terrible.
    Coppy

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    hoping we can ramp up vaccines and be allowed into stadiums this season

that's my biggest concern for this topic right now moving forward lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-18-2021), jpx7 (01-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    hoping we can ramp up vaccines and be allowed into stadiums this season

that's my biggest concern for this topic right now moving forward lol
    I had bought tickets for when the Braves visit the Yankees in late April. Fans not looking likely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Where are you getting 1 out of 3 years for Soroka. He has really only pitched 2 years which is why he only has two years on his service clock thus far. He has been dominating at every level. This take is terrible.
    Suggest you do some fact checking. Soroka went down in mid June of 2018 with shoulder fatigue. Might not qualify as an "injury" but still counted as lost season. Being as you are an adult apparently then unable to count to three is what is the terrible take here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Not sure I agree on this diagnosis of Soroka so far
    What diagnosis? Just quoting facts. Soroka is a super two. Yes he has 4 more years of control. Yes he has been injured 2 of the 3 years. Just saying it is too early to commit to an extension.