Albies and Acuna swipe 20 on that guy next year
    Ivermectin Man

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Thats 7/17/20/non top 30 per Pipeline. Mets swoop in and get Lucchesi, not sure what they're giving up.
    #14 prospect Endy Rodriguez, C/OF

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Hey the Braves got Morton and Smyly........

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    How often do the teams that win the off-season actually end up winning the season?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    I mean, both were big pickups. But a bat or two, and a RP are pretty needed. Still think AA is waiting on the DH rule before making his moves, not sure what MLB is taking so long.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-18-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Both better than Lester.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-19-2021), Tapate50 (01-18-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Exactly zero bats we want for the Braves have signed deals. AA got Morton, who was in my opinion the #1 SP target for the Braves.

When guys like Ozuna, Brantley, Turner, Cruz, Joc and Rosario start signing we can start getting anxious.

Folks need to stop buying into the off season winner hype.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-18-2021 at 08:02 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-19-2021), DirkPiggler (01-18-2021), JohnAdcox (01-19-2021), jpx7 (01-18-2021), Southcack77 (01-19-2021), Tapate50 (01-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    How often do the teams that win the off-season actually end up winning the season?
    Florida Marlins '97

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Lester to Nats is official, per Passan.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I’m truthfully a little discouraged. I think we can compete no doubt. With the Dodgers being...well the Dodgers(great pitching staff), the Mets now looking like they will spend whatever they want (and also have a great pitching staff), and now the Padres basically trading for EVERY good pitcher on the market...dang.

I think if Liberty is willing to keep up somewhat spending wise, we could be just as good or better than any of these teams. I’m just not convinced they will. Even with our affordable contracts, I feel they will make cheaper moves that will keep us so very close, but just not good enough to get us quite over the hump.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a bad feeling?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    The Braves were 1 win from the WS, have already improved the rotation quite a bit, and none of the bats they were realistically going to acquire to replace Ozuna/Duvall/Markakis are unavailable yet. Oh, and none of the BP arms they lost have been signed yet either.

It’s time to start worrying when/if those bats start going elsewhere. The OF/DH is a void, and if AA doesn’t add 4+ wins out there he failed miserably. I would be shocked if he doesn’t address that area of need in an acceptable manner.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves were 1 win from the WS, have already improved the rotation quite a bit, and none of the bats they were realistically going to acquire to replace Ozuna/Duvall/Markakis are unavailable yet. Oh, and none of the BP arms they lost have been signed yet either.

It’s time to start worrying when/if those bats start going elsewhere. The OF/DH is a void, and if AA doesn’t add 4+ wins out there he failed miserably. I would be shocked if he doesn’t address that area of need in an acceptable manner.
    yup. Folks see the Padres and Mets being aggressive and immediately tap AA as being the antithesis of that but most of us would have been thrilled had he signed Smyly three months ago and Morton two weeks ago. There are holes to be filled but we’re in a good spot and the financial resources seem to be better than expected. If we get to ST with numerous clear-cut areas of concern, then fans have a right to be mad but most of the top bats haven’t signed and nearly all quality bullpen arms are available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Classic Mets....

Newly named Mets general manager Jared Porter sent unsolicited, explicit text messages and images to a female reporter in 2016, Mina Kimes and Jeff Passan of ESPN report. Porter was then part of the Cubs’ front office.

The reporter, a foreign correspondent who Kimes and Passan note is no longer in the business, said Porter sent her more than 60 messages that she ignored before he sent her a lewd photo. Although Porter admitted to ESPN that he sent lewd images, he said that “the more explicit ones are not of me. Those are like, kinda like joke-stock images.” Porter later apologized to her via text, saying he was “extremely inappropriate, very offensive, and getting out of line.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...r-in-2016.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Porter has been terminated, per Cohen.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Lester to Nats is official, per Passan.
    This - if nothing else - should point out exactly how high they are on Smyly IMO. It's relatively clear that they viewed him as a Tier 2 or high-end Tier 3 guy amongst the available free-agent arms.

If AA was actually going to spend significant money on a second SP, it had to be someone that they felt could slot into the #3 slot (if not higher) so they could afford to take their time with Soroka as well as leave room for the expected Anderson/Wright/Wilson growing pains. If they were looking for someone to eat innings at the back end along with Wright and Wilson, they'd probably just have waited until after the music stopped and offered whichever veteran was left $1 million like they did King Felix last year.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    The Mets will always Mets. Good grief.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Well that escalated quickly! We may never know the extent of the situation, but did the Mets not do proper due diligence? Did Porter lie to them when interviewing?

Like I said, new owner, still same old Mets.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Oh, I agree. Our pitching stacks up with any of those teams easily (assuming Soroka comes back healthy).

If we sign Ozuna and one of Greene or Melancon...we should be fine. That’s another $25 million easily. Not to mention that we need a bench bat. Duval should not have been an everyday starter, but he was a great guy to have as a bench bat/ platoon player. Ender contract hurts us this year.

Will Liberty spend that? They don’t “have” to spend it to be a contender. They “do” have to spend that to win a WS without some luck.

Of the pitchers the Padres traded for...the only one that really stung to me was the Snell trade. Game changing pitcher under control and reasonable for three more years. Add him to our young guys and my goodness. The other two are just a correction for the Clevenger deal blowing up in their face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Cohen has been a fantastic owner thus far and his social media presence is exceptional. His response to the Porter reporter was great.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Beltran last year and now Porter. lmao