Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Same but we don't know what Ozuna is actually commanding nor do we know what Realmuto will take, only what's been reported.
    For Ozuna, i'm guessing around 3-60/4-75 or so, but who is even in on Ozuna? Regarding Realmuto, other than Philly, who is even in on him? Jays were in on him but i'd guess they're out now after getting Springer.

JTR wants a big deal, and i dont know how comfortable AA is with that. But AA has liked Realmuto for a long time though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-21-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'd rather just get Ozuna back but just hope AA adds "someone" capable who can hit or two. Realmuto would be a stunner though.
    i understand this sentiment after watching what Ozuna did for Atlanta last year, but chances he repeats that are pretty slim. JTR is a much safer bet to be very good. he also doesn't fit as well, and his bat isn't consistently great enough to be DH IMO.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i understand this sentiment after watching what Ozuna did for Atlanta last year, but chances he repeats that are pretty slim. JTR is a much safer bet to be very good. he also doesn't fit as well, and his bat isn't consistently great enough to be DH IMO.
    Would not be against Realmuto one bit, he's fantastic. Just dont know how high AA would go in his contract. Would have to top their AAV on a lesser year deal. I get the concerns with Ozuna though. Also dont know who is even in on him. I guess Mets could be now that Springer's off the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    This whole Realmuto thing feels like his agent feeding reporters these rumors to help run up his price. Doesn't make any sense for Atlanta. And it really appears Realmuto doesn't have many suitors outside of Philly and MAYBE Washington?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-21-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    ozuna is a better hitter, right? I'm not looking up all of the Stats but I think Ozuna is clearly a better player. Say over the contract he's 25%-50% better than he was in St. Louis. I doubt he repeats last year of a full season.

Realmuto's value is he is a legit hitter who can catch. If he's not catching he's not that valuable. In his 30s he's probably going to avg an OPS of 825ish, right? Good, but not the 850 plus stud we need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    This whole Realmuto thing feels like his agent feeding reporters these rumors to help run up his price. Doesn't make any sense for Atlanta. And it really appears Realmuto doesn't have many suitors outside of Philly and MAYBE Washington?
    I'd agree. It only makes sense to me if AA has some complex move figured out with a trade of TDA. He's have to have some deal where TDA plus Wilson gets him one of the blue Jays OFs. A contender who is near the top of their budget but sees TDA as a huge upgrade at C. And since we want to win we'd have to think trading TDA would be a big win for us to.

It seems like a very narrow set of possibilities to be real.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    ozuna is a better hitter, right? I'm not looking up all of the Stats but I think Ozuna is clearly a better player. Say over the contract he's 25%-50% better than he was in St. Louis. I doubt he repeats last year of a full season.

Realmuto's value is he is a legit hitter who can catch. If he's not catching he's not that valuable. In his 30s he's probably going to avg an OPS of 825ish, right? Good, but not the 850 plus stud we need.

The ceiling on a Realmuto season is much lower than the ceiling on an Ozuna season at the plate, but Realmuto's best is a very good hitter.

I don't really believe in giving big money to free agent catchers, but I will say that expecting TDA to repeat last season is probably not a super bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I'd agree. It only makes sense to me if AA has some complex move figured out with a trade of TDA. He's have to have some deal where TDA plus Wilson gets him one of the blue Jays OFs. A contender who is near the top of their budget but sees TDA as a huge upgrade at C. And since we want to win we'd have to think trading TDA would be a big win for us to.

It seems like a very narrow set of possibilities to be real.
    My friend who works in the industry just sent me this: "You didn't hear it from me but I’ll say this: AA is seriously heavily interested in JT and they want him; and if they get him, Travis is going to likely be traded for an outfielder."

Again, with a grain of salt!

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    We all see the DH coming in after the posturing is done between MLB and MLBPA. So why not pencil in TDA as your RH DH and put someone like ALex Jackson in the 26 spot. If TDA has another year like 2020 it sure wont hurt his negotiations next off season.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-21-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    No rumors linking it, but I have a strange feeling AA might make an out of left field move and sign someone like JTR.

The Mets had been heavily rumored to be involved, but sounds like they are not in on him. The Phillies seem like they do not have the money to sign him. The Blue Jays and Nationals have both been linked to him. But AA really seemed to want him before the Fish traded him to the Phillies. AA always plays things extremely close to the vest, so obviously there would be no mention of us being in on him.

If AA signs him, he becomes your Ozuna bat replacement. If the DH returns in the NL, then we can rotate that spot to give guys a day off or have a third catcher on the bench to allow TDA to DH....

Again, not rumors, just a feeling.
    Funny. I thought I had mentioned JTR earlier this offseason, from 12/02
    Get off my lawn!

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I know we have to talk about something in late January, but the Braves aren't signing JT Realmuto. Come on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I know we have to talk about something in late January, but the Braves aren't signing JT Realmuto. Come on.
    It makes even less sense when you consider we have a top hitting catcher already on the team, and two of our top prospects are catchers. Is JT really that worth it to have to shuffle all of those additional pieces? Just doesn't seem to add up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    It makes even less sense when you consider we have a top hitting catcher already on the team, and two of our top prospects are catchers. Is JT really that worth it to have to shuffle all of those additional pieces? Just doesn't seem to add up.
    I mean, it does make sense since Shea, Contreras and TD would all be easy to move for a LFer or 3B (move Riley to LF). Not saying I'd do it, but the logic is there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I mean, it does make sense since Shea, Contreras and TD would all be easy to move for a LFer or 3B (move Riley to LF). Not saying I'd do it, but the logic is there.
    i don't know that any of them are "easily" moved for another player. trades are *always* difficult. no one values a player the same way. i think it would be quite difficult to trade TDA for say an OF of equal value. who's even available that would fit that description?
    Last edited by Super; 01-21-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

better hitter, definitely. better player, IMO no.
    i agree that JTR's value is dinged a good bit if he's not catching. i don't think he's the guy you want as your long-term DH. i could probably buy into a Posey-type role, but there are plainly better fits (Ozuna) that will cost less money, so it doesn't make much sense to me to sign JTR.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    This only makes sense if the DH is in place and JTR is looking for a high AAV short deal like 2/50.

It could also make sense if JTR wants a short deal and AA is looking to sell high on TDA. His .411 BABIP (career .280) and 25.7% HR/FB rate (career 12.9%) suggests he is in for a significant regression in 2021. Trading him to a team who thinks he’s more than an average MLB bat could be a very savvy move.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-21-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This only makes sense if the DH is in place and JTR is looking for a high AAV short deal like 2/50.

It could also make sense if JTR wants a short deal and AA is looking to sell high on TDA. His .411 BABIP (career .280) and 25.7% HR/FB rate (career 12.9%) suggests he is in for a significant regression in 2021. Trading him to a team who thinks he’s more than an average MLB bat could be a very savvy move.
    it also stands to reason that AA would look to upgrade catcher if he believes TDA is going to regress pretty massively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    So we have to do all of that trading, plus lock ourselves into a catcher for his post prime years, and also give up a pick for signing the guy. How does any of this make logical sense.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-21-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Jared Carrabis via Twitter: There seems to be a lot of optimism from writers in the know that Marcell Ozuna could end up back with the Braves. Some unfinished business there, and Braves fans deserve this one after their pursuit of re-signing Josh Donaldson fell short last winter.

Two rumors in one day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    i don't know that any of them are "easily" moved for another player. trades are *always* difficult. no one values a player the same way. i think it would be quite difficult to trade TDA for say an OF of equal value. who's even available that would fit that description?
    I assume he'd do both at the same time, hence even more difficulty.

If he has the framework for a TDA trade then he can land Realmuto.

Realmuto is a good hitter at 850 ops type. That's not DH level IMO. Not DH at 20 plus million, certainly. So if you get him, you have to think he's catching 75% of the time (or whatever is possible in the ATL heat).

Rumor was Phillies had an offer on the table around 5/110. But you have to play for the Phillies vs the Braves, Nats and Mets. Not crazy to think that if Realmuto wants to be a playoff player in his career (next 5 years) then he should get off the Phillies. Would 2/50 and a better shot at the playoffs be worth giving up 100 million?

3/75 for Realmuto or 3/60 for Ozuna?

Also who is the team with the 800 plus OPS bat that is being traded for TDA? Blue Jays are the only team I can think of that makes any sense. I think they have young catching coming and a 1 year guy like TDA to help for post season makes sense. They have some OF surplus.