Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I believe Morosi also mentioned the Blue Jays. That could make sense for Gurriel or Hernandez, and plug them into LF.

I still don't really believe this Realmuto stuff though.
    You are correct but not to the length and extent that he talked up the Angels. Either of those you named would be of interest to me if I was AA. Also on MLB Tv they talked up the fact that Vlads defense was going to move him to 1B and DH. If so then Rowdy Tellez may have some interest to AA as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    AA signed Donaldson at 3b when we had Camargo ready to go and our biggest hole elsewhere....he does tend to get the biggest impact player he can, regardless of position. if he does sign JTR, as doubtful as it is, he can deal with filling out the other spots later
    Camargo was a big hole as a starting 3B. The front office knew that.

I don't think Realmuto necessarily solves the bat problem so much as possibly lock in offense from the catcher spot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    How much more is Realmuto worth than Grandal, who got 4/73?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    How much more is Realmuto worth than Grandal, who got 4/73?
    Apparently he and his reps think he's worth more than Mauer got ($23 million per AAV).

If he took 4 years, that would be the Donaldson deal (4 years/$92 million) that AA already passed on.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Apparently he and his reps think he's worth more than Mauer got ($23 million per AAV).

If he took 4 years, that would be the Donaldson deal (4 years/$92 million) that AA already passed on.
    To be fair, there's way less risk in signing JTR than JD.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-22-2021), PawPawMaxwell (01-22-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    To be fair, there's way less risk in signing JTR than JD.
    Not sure I'd go so far as to say "way more" - especially if you expect Realmuto to stay healthy and behind the plate into is mid-30s. That said, I'd probably feel more comfortable with spending that kind of money for him with the DH on the horizon - absolutely no way I'd have gone there with Donaldson.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Mauer market back then and jtr market now are completely different.

And JD was way riskier than JT is now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (01-22-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

And we are a year closer to having the DH for sure....

Also, it could have changed due to COVID, but AA said there was a discussion in the front office about signing BOTH Ozuna and Donaldson last offseason. I wonder if they still have the flexibility this offseason for the right move. (not saying sign both Ozuna and JTR, but either one)
    Get off my lawn!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-22-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    And we are a year closer to having the DH for sure....

Also, it could have changed due to COVID, but AA said there was a discussion in the front office about signing BOTH Ozuna and Donaldson last offseason. I wonder if they still have the flexibility this offseason for the right move. (not saying sign both Ozuna and JTR, but either one)
    we had a 150 million dollar payroll last year.

We are far from that right now. We just don't know how much Liberty pulled back on the budget after last year and anticipating this year.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (01-22-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

Big part of Mauer's value was being a home town boy along with the talent and at the time the Twins needed to make a statement. JD's issue with his leg and age confirm that risk. How much value did the Twins get from JD this past year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    we had a 150 million dollar payroll last year.

We are far from that right now. We just don't know how much Liberty pulled back on the budget after last year and anticipating this year.
    Liberty has an investment other than the Braves to protect in The Battery. The age old statement of "You have to spend money to make money" applies.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    TDA is due for major regression in 2021. Selling high on him to a dumb team like the Angels might be a good move.

I still can’t imagine JTR is the target though. Options like Turner and Ozuna fit in so much more cleanly.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    TDA is due for major regression in 2021. Selling high on him to a dumb team like the Angels might be a good move.

I still can’t imagine JTR is the target though. Options like Turner and Ozuna fit in so much more cleanly.
    Hard to imagine, but if they have 30m, I think they could just fit in Realmuto, Turner, and Pederson if they're willing to attach a prospect to dump Inciarte somewhere like San Francisco and move TDA.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    The Angels are just going to keep throwing money at free agents until they magically fix their issues, huh?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Angles hired a braves front office guy a couple of months ago. They likely are not the same dumb team. Maybe dumb ownership wins out.

Turner I worry about b/c I keep hearing rumors he'd retire before leaving west coast.

Ozuna seems like the only impact bat still on the market. Maybe Pederson vs RH, maybe. And I still think you'd have to expect major regression from Ozuna. Somewhere between Cardinals and Braves output.

Getting JTR only makes sense if there is a big trade somewhere. I'm just not sure where that is. Something crazy and complicated like getting Happ from Cubs, needing to give up (and willing to give up) Contreras in the deal and moving TDA for a prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Heyman: While Braves checked in on Realmuto as
    @ByRobertMurray
    reported, most see it as a stretch they’d go past $100M for a catcher when they have d’Arnaud who won the Silver Slugger last year. GM Alex Anthopoulos has tried before for JT and can surprise but this seems like long shot.

There's not much info there but we'll see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I read or heard this morning that Turner and Dodgers are discussing a 2 year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Heyman: While Braves checked in on Realmuto as
    @ByRobertMurray
    reported, most see it as a stretch they’d go past $100M for a catcher when they have d’Arnaud who won the Silver Slugger last year. GM Alex Anthopoulos has tried before for JT and can surprise but this seems like long shot.

There's not much info there but we'll see!
    I agree with the long shot part but to me Heyman offers very little in the way of info unless it is one of the major market teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Heyman: Braves are at least perusing the closer market. They checked in on Hendriks and likely Yates before they signed elsewhere. They do have Smith, Martin, Matzek and Minter but apparently would like to strengthen area. Colome, Rosenthal, Melancon are among closers left.

It's obvious but there was NO Braves news for months and now all of this is happening lol

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

So let's play musical chairs (assuming $25 million is what AA has left to play with)...

1.) Riley, Waters, and Wilson to Cincinnati for Suarez - adds ~ $10 million in salary

2.) d'Arnaud and Muller to Anaheim for Max Stassi and Jared Walsh - saves ~ $5.5 million in salary

3.) Sign Ozuna to DH - adds ~ $18 million in salary

4.) Release Jackson and re-sign Melancon ($4 million) - adds ~ $2.5 million in salary

Acuna, Freeman, Ozuna, Walsh, Suarez, Ozzie, Dansby, Stassi/Contreras, Ender/Pache