Page 113 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    AA owes us a big, positive move with the Hammer dying today. Need good news. Positive news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    So let's play musical chairs (assuming $25 million is what AA has left to play with)...

1.) Riley, Waters, and Wilson to Cincinnati for Suarez - adds ~ $10 million in salary

2.) d'Arnaud and Muller to Anaheim for Max Stassi and Jared Walsh - saves ~ $5.5 million in salary

3.) Sign Ozuna to DH - adds ~ $18 million in salary

4.) Release Jackson and re-sign Melancon ($4 million) - adds ~ $2.5 million in salary

Acuna, Freeman, Ozuna, Walsh, Suarez, Ozzie, Dansby, Stassi/Contreras, Ender/Pache
    Reds seem like a good, shake it up team option. But I don't see why they'd want Riley. Senzel should be third base.

As long as we are doing fictional trades that will never happen:
    Reds get: Ender (for money reasons and they could put him in CF and hope for a deadline flip), Waters, Langeliers, Wright, Davidson, Shewmake
    Braves get: Suarez and Winkler
    Reds probably want to dump Castellanos but that contract looks rough.

If there is a DH, then Riley is there. If there is not he is depth or a trade piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Hector Gomez:

SOURCE: Marcell Ozuna is seeking a 4-year and up multi-year contract. Six teams have shown interest:

- Red Sox
    - Yankees
    - Dodgers
    - Mets
    - Twins
    - Brewers

@z101digital @ZDeportes

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Its starting to feel like this might be the year we finally need to just make an impact trade for a bat vs. signing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Angles hired a braves front office guy a couple of months ago. They likely are not the same dumb team. Maybe dumb ownership wins out.

Turner I worry about b/c I keep hearing rumors he'd retire before leaving west coast.

Ozuna seems like the only impact bat still on the market. Maybe Pederson vs RH, maybe. And I still think you'd have to expect major regression from Ozuna. Somewhere between Cardinals and Braves output.

Getting JTR only makes sense if there is a big trade somewhere. I'm just not sure where that is. Something crazy and complicated like getting Happ from Cubs, needing to give up (and willing to give up) Contreras in the deal and moving TDA for a prospect.
    Agreed on Ozuna. He was about as lucky in 2020 as he was unlucky in 2019. Even the projections put him somewhere between those seasons with an OPS of .850+.

Anyone that gives him 4 years is just as stupid as the Twins are for signing JD.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed on Ozuna. He was about as lucky in 2020 as he was unlucky in 2019. Even the projections put him somewhere between those seasons with an OPS of .850+.

Anyone that gives him 4 years is just as stupid as the Twins are for signing JD.
    Keep hearing the same thing about Turner that Russ has - that he's just not very interested in leaving the west coast. As much as it sucks, I'm beginning to wonder if the only real play AA has is to give up smaller pieces in a deal for Bryant (without including Riley) and cross his fingers hoping for a big platform year. The problem is I wonder how big those "smaller pieces" might have to be. Hope that Riley's adjustments take and that Waters takes a step forward and you'll have plenty of resources to extend Freddie and dangle in front of Soler to come on board as the DH next winter.

I don't think I'd want any piece of a four year deal for Ozuna, don't think the Reds really would move Suarez, and I definitely don't have any interest in Arenado's contract unless the Rockies are going to eat $12 million a year (or more) of it.

If you can't get Bryant for a reasonable return (or don't think he's going to bounce back), it's probably time to see if you can get a Rosario/Duvall platoon in LF, add Villar and/or another bench piece/utility guy, and load the pen up as much as possible.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    NELSON CRUZ
    DH, MINNESOTA TWINS

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Twins have increased the dollar amount of their one-year offer to Nelson Cruz.
    However, Heyman adds that "multiple NL teams are showing interest" in Cruz and the slugger is "waiting to see if a universal DH is adopted." Cruz is 40 but is said to be seeking a two-year contract this offseason, and if there is a universal DH it seems likely that some club will bite on the two years. He put together a .303/.397/.595 batting line with 16 homers in 214 plate appearances last season.
    Ivermectin Man

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Shane Greene hasn’t been mentioned much, what is he likely to get as a contract?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    AA owes us a big, positive move with the Hammer dying today. Need good news. Positive news.
    I certainly hope this is NOT what you wanted!

From MLBTR

The Braves have claimed right-hander Victor Arano and outfielder Kyle Garlick off waivers, the Phillies announced. Philadelphia recently designated both players for assignment. The claims fill the final two open spots on Atlanta’s 40-man roster.

DOB has a glaring report on both. A 5th OF and reliever with elbow and shoulder issues.

Does this action bring a financial short coming to head??
    Last edited by salmagundy; 01-23-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    My first thought is they are simply filler because there is a deal pending that will create a couple vacancies. What OFers would you consider trade material other than Waters. Arano had a fair to good start and is still only 25.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Arano could be someone depending on whether he recovers from surgery. Pretty good numbers in 2018.

Don't know much about Garlick, but they wouldn't bother unless they think he can contribute. Decent but not eye-popping numbers during his time in the Dodgers' system.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-23-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Can garlick please be our muncy, but without being a total douche?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    really? i think someone might, but i guess it depends what you mean by starting caliber.
    i think if Brantley signed in Toronto, for example, Teoscar could've been traded. i think he's starting caliber, if just barely.
    Starting caliber, as in a 2-3 WAR OFer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Braves were among the last teams in the pecking order for these guys. This suggests to me that they can be passed through waivers later and stashed in AAA.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-23-2021), salmagundy (01-23-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Not sure AA's high AAV strategy is going to work. There is a work stoppage coming and these guys want their money. If the new CBA moves more money to younger players, get yours now.

I wonder if we are going to have to get a couple of lower guys like La Stella and try to piece it together.

I keep thinking AA is working on a big trade. But it never arises.

You'd think that Wilson, Wright, Touki and Davidson would be attractive. Lots of teams want to punt on this year. These guys are cheap pitchers with upside. Maybe we need someone to agree to the camouflaged tank where they send us a guy making decent money for an upside arm. I think the Diamondbacks have some decent guys like Peralta. Problem is we need at least one impact guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Caught this article in the news about Liberty Media. Obviously doesn't impact the Braves per say, but this line stood out:

The move is significant in that Liberty is planning to spend big despite most of its companies taking a big hit during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...spree/5160162/

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not sure AA's high AAV strategy is going to work. There is a work stoppage coming and these guys want their money. If the new CBA moves more money to younger players, get yours now.

I wonder if we are going to have to get a couple of lower guys like La Stella and try to piece it together.

I keep thinking AA is working on a big trade. But it never arises.

You'd think that Wilson, Wright, Touki and Davidson would be attractive. Lots of teams want to punt on this year. These guys are cheap pitchers with upside. Maybe we need someone to agree to the camouflaged tank where they send us a guy making decent money for an upside arm. I think the Diamondbacks have some decent guys like Peralta. Problem is we need at least one impact guy.
    Why on earth would AA trade guys like that for someone like Peralta when Pederson, Rosario, and Duvall are still floating around out there and would only cost money???

I like Peralta as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't give up Wright or Wilson for him with several other similar options available. If AA were going to try to trade for one of their left-handed OFs, Calhoun would arguably be the better option - more power and his 2022 salary comes with a team option so he could be ditched in favor of Waters if needed.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (01-23-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Why on earth would AA trade guys like that for someone like Peralta when Pederson, Rosario, and Duvall are still floating around out there and would only cost money???

I like Peralta as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't give up Wright or Wilson for him with several other similar options available. If AA were going to try to trade for one of their left-handed OFs, Calhoun would arguably be the better option - more power and his 2022 salary comes with a team option so he could be ditched in favor of Waters if needed.
    I was just brain dumping. Not suggesting you send any of those guys straight up for peralta.

Just word vomit b/c we need some good news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I’d take Stella as a super sub no doubt
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-24-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in