Page 165 of 229 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    According to AJC’s Gabe Burns, Alex Anthopoulos said #Braves’ “interest was long term” with Ozuna. Didn’t want to do shorter deal. Called four years the “sweet spot.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It’s just nice knowing that next offseason we won’t be wondering what 1 year deal slugger we may luck up on. It’s nice knowing what the main part of your lineup will look like for once.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (02-06-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Yes I did and I dont want any more of your comments about stupidity or nonsense. I just may have to come to Las Vegas and whip your ass. Take that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pure stupidity from this one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    LOLOL

Marcell Ozuna just jokingly asked Alex Anthopoulos that if the #Braves signed him this week after just one day of negotiations, then why didn't we just do this right after the season ended?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Damn.

The Tampa Bay Rays did make an offer to Marcell Ozuna, but he communicated to his agents that he wanted to hear from the #Braves. Deal came together in one day.

​​​​​​​sounds like Ozuna lit a fire under AA’s ass

9. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Lmao:

Anthopoulos said he is going to let Ozuna handle negotiations on a Freeman extension since he thinks it’s so easy.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021), Super (02-06-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    It’s just nice knowing that next offseason we won’t be wondering what 1 year deal slugger we may luck up on. It’s nice knowing what the main part of your lineup will look like for once.
    tough to disagree here. obviously the one year deals have provided tremendous value and carried minimal risk, but knowing the Braves will have a guy for more than a year is nice. of course, it's only as nice as it is because the AAV is low enough.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    tough to disagree here. obviously the one year deals have provided tremendous value and carried minimal risk, but knowing the Braves will have a guy for more than a year is nice. of course, it's only as nice as it is because the AAV is low enough.
    Next year we’ll just have to worry about another starter and maybe a catcher.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I have a feeling we sign Markakis a Minor league deal and we keep him for the whole year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not for 1 year of Betts.
    When you had already decided you were going to do whatever it took to sign him long-term you would. One year was simply what was left on his deal with Boston - they were never trading for one year of him. Their beancounters were always working under the assumption that they would be paying him $350-$375 million for the next decade or more.

Unfortunately Friedman gets to work his magic in a world where ownership is always going to say "yes" when it comes to money - as long as he can make a logical argument to support the moves he makes. We can all play the what if games for *hits and giggles, but there was never any chance they weren't going to be the highest bidder after they traded for him. No harm in that - that's what message boards are for. We keep talking about how Freeman's going to be a Brave for life and that he's going to stay for below-market money, yet DOB mentioned earlier this week that the extension talks seem to be for more than the Cardinals gave Goldschmidt (5 years/$150 million was the last number I saw mentioned).

If the statement that 4 years was what they really wanted to sign Ozuna for isn't GM-speak, a Freeman extension is announced in the near future, AND we're told there are still resources available to make a move for someone like Ramirez or Suarez we can probably begin to believe McGuirk and AA when they say they have more control over personnel decisions and payroll than any of us have believed so far - and AA is at least being given enough room to TRY to do what he has to to win it all. I'm not holding my breath while waiting for those announcements, but after a four year deal for a guy who's going to be a DH next year I'm at least crossing my fingers that that's the case.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There is still quite a bit of work to do, so I hope DOB is right about the $10M+ to spend.

I think I’d like to see the addition of 2-3 more bats:

LHH OF (or a RHH with reverse splits like Puig)
    Backup SS (Hech is fine)
    Another RHH corner player (only if there’s a DH)

Maybe a backup catcher. Maybe a value add to the BP if a guy like Greene or MM ends up being very cheap.

The Ramirez deal seems unlikely since the Indians appear to be done shedding payroll, but maybe AA was waiting to pull the trigger until he knew Turner wouldn’t be at 3b. I seriously doubt it happens, but I also doubted Ozuna would get 4+ years. A deal centered around Riley/Waters/Lango is definitely something I’d be all for though.
    Hechavarria signed with Chiba Lotte on Christmas day.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Next year we’ll just have to worry about another starter and maybe a catcher.
    Catcher-assume some combo of Contreras langeliers jackson unless there is a trade.

Starter- probably. Chance wright or Wilson finally claims a spot

Lf-assume dh for Ozuna

3b- probably make or break for Riley

Ss-comit long term to dansby. Are story or others available?

Plus it will be a labor stoppage and play 100 games or so

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    According to AJC’s Gabe Burns, Alex Anthopoulos said #Braves’ “interest was long term” with Ozuna. Didn’t want to do shorter deal. Called four years the “sweet spot.”
    Cost certainty helps.

I’m sure ff extension is coming. If it does you have cost certainty on 1b, 2b, cf, rf and do for next four years. If Riley, catchers or waters proves worthy you have more.

Core of pitchers still controlled.

Should give aa some options

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    When you had already decided you were going to do whatever it took to sign him long-term you would. One year was simply what was left on his deal with Boston - they were never trading for one year of him. Their beancounters were always working under the assumption that they would be paying him $350-$375 million for the next decade or more.

Unfortunately Friedman gets to work his magic in a world where ownership is always going to say "yes" when it comes to money - as long as he can make a logical argument to support the moves he makes. We can all play the what if games for *hits and giggles, but there was never any chance they weren't going to be the highest bidder after they traded for him. No harm in that - that's what message boards are for. We keep talking about how Freeman's going to be a Brave for life and that he's going to stay for below-market money, yet DOB mentioned earlier this week that the extension talks seem to be for more than the Cardinals gave Goldschmidt (5 years/$150 million was the last number I saw mentioned).

If the statement that 4 years was what they really wanted to sign Ozuna for isn't GM-speak, a Freeman extension is announced in the near future, AND we're told there are still resources available to make a move for someone like Ramirez or Suarez we can probably begin to believe McGuirk and AA when they say they have more control over personnel decisions and payroll than any of us have believed so far - and AA is at least being given enough room to TRY to do what he has to to win it all. I'm not holding my breath while waiting for those announcements, but after a four year deal for a guy who's going to be a DH next year I'm at least crossing my fingers that that's the case.
    Whether or not you have to resources to sign him long term is irrelevant to the costs it takes to acquire him. The Dodgers could quite just as easily signed him as a FA if they wanted to go that route.

Verdugo was on pace for a 5 WAR season in 2020. That's not the sort of player you should be fine with parting with for 1 year of any player.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    Per Rosenthal, Elvis Andrus heading to the A’s for Khris Davis. Others involved
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Per Rosenthal, Elvis Andrus heading to the A’s for Khris Davis. Others involved
    So A’s selling?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    We technically only have Freeman for one more season. Let's hope we hear about the extension soon.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Pure stupidity from this one
    Pick me up at the Greyhound station next week. I dont know where your mother lives.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Rangers sending Elvis Andrus and catching prospect David Garcia to the A's for Khris Davis, catcher Jonah Heim, RHP Dane Acker
    Get off my lawn!

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Rosenthal's latest notes column says the Braves seriously talked to the Rockies about Arenado, but the money was too much with Freeman's upcoming free agency and other young players coming in to big money soon.

Also flat out says the Indians aren't trading Ramirez.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2021)