Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Mike Petriello said LA offered Ozuna a two-year deal before he signed with the Braves.
    In other words - they’ve got money for Turner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Shewmake is a legit prospect. He’s not a guy who’s development doesn’t matter.

Has he even played in aa? I can’t think he’s on the team unless there is a big problem.

Maybe he was a stud at the alternative site. Maybe he’ll mash this year. But I think they have to want him to play not be a utility guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Good news is there appear to be many back up of/pinch hit options and lots of good relievers. We should be able to get both for really cheap.

Aa comment about acuna in cf was interesting.

Can they get the reds to sell Suarez?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Has he even played in aa? I can’t think he’s on the team unless there is a big problem.
    He played like 13 or 14 games in Mississippi last year. So, technically yes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-07-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I am kind of worry that we sign Turner and then Dodgers work a trade with Cleveland for Ramirez. They have a lot of valuable pieces and ready to play.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Brad Miller or Jay Bruce are my choices for LH bench player.
    Assuming (obviously a big assumption) they structured Ozuna's contract they did to kill two birds with one stone, I'm guessing AA was led to believe that one of the pen arms they were considering would sign for the $4 million they spaced out over the last 3 years of Ozuna's deal. Cutting Jackson loose before camp ends and putting that guy in his roster spot saves you ~ $450,000. Bringing Miller (or Shaw/Villar/Cabrera/Holt in for ~$3 million to replace Camargo saves you another ~ $350,000.

Trading Jackson and Camargo for Melancon (or whomever), Miller (or whomever), and adding Bruce/Mazara/Reddick probably doesn't affect the payroll enough that Liberty would tell AA "no" considering he likely could've stretched a little more to sign Ozuna.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    FIFY
    The Lord's work is never done.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (02-06-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I am kind of worry that we sign Turner and then Dodgers work a trade with Cleveland for Ramirez. They have a lot of valuable pieces and ready to play.
    You can't operate worried about what other teams might do. That's how you end up saddled with an albatross contract.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-07-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I think they bring back Turner and i doubt Friedman trades the prospects it'll take to get Ramirez.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-07-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    AA will be on XM with Bowden and Duquette a little after 11.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The answers...

1.) Soroka's arm will be ready - playing everything by ear.

2.) Really high on Smyly - thinks he's in a position to have a breakout like Minor did when he went to Texas.

3.) Not going to talk about Freeman extension other than to say "he wants to stay here, and we want to keep him here".

4.) Ozuna contract was backloaded specifically for additions - "most" of the money has been spent - and he's not committing to when - but there is money available to add another RP and OF if they happen to implement the DH "because there are still some really good players out there". Didn't mention any names or confirm that they're looking for LH bats.

5.) As of now Smith is likely the Closer but he wouldn't shut the door on a Melancon return - didn't say anything about Greene or other potential options.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-07-2021 at 11:26 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-08-2021), jpx7 (02-07-2021), Super (02-07-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The answers...

2.) Really high on Smyly - thinks he's in a position to have a breakout like Minor did when he went to Texas.

3.) Not going to talk about Freeman extension other than to say "he wants to stay here, and we want to keep him here".

4.) Ozuna contract was backloaded specifically for additions - "most" of the money has been spent - and he's not committing to when - but there is money available to add another RP and OF if they happen to implement the DH "because there are still some really good players out there". Didn't mention any names or confirm that they're looking for LH bats.

5.) As of now Smith is likely the Closer but he wouldn't shut the door on a Melancon return - didn't say anything about Greene or other potential options.
    Yawn......

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    The answers...

Thanks for posting this update! Was it me, or did it sound like he has every intention of signing another pen arm? I got the impression he’s signing Melancon. Especially when he said they backloaded Ozuna’s deal to give them room this year to do more, either now or at the deadline.

I also got the feeling he’s signing Freeman long term when he said both sides want a deal and are working on it. He said it could happen now, during the season, or during next off season. I love how they asked about using Goldschmidt’s deal as a measuring stick, and then brought up aging, declining first basemen in their 30s, specifically mentioning Goldschmidt, Votto etc.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-08-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I have to figure that they will add another bullpen arm and a LHH OF. Still a lot of relief pitchers available.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-07-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Thanks for posting this update! Was it me, or did it sound like he has every intention of signing another pen arm? I got the impression he’s signing Melancon. Especially when he said they backloaded Ozuna’s deal to give them room this year to do more, either now or at the deadline.

I also got the feeling he’s signing Freeman long term when he said both sides want a deal and are working on it. He said it could happen now, during the season, or during next off season. I love how they asked about using Goldschmidt’s deal as a measuring stick, and then brought up aging, declining first basemen in their 30s, specifically mentioning Goldschmidt, Votto etc.
    Kinda feel like Melancon has been a given for the majority of the winter. AA consistently says that they feel like they have 3 guys that are perfectly capable of closing (Smith, Martin, and Minter) and they're hoping for a bounceback from Jackson, but it just doesn't add up when he says in the same breath how much they loved having the flexibility to use Smith whenever the situation called for it rather than just in the 9th. Always trying to read between the lines when AA speaks, but if you follow the money it helps. They likely told Melancon to test the market and come back and let them know where he feels like he should be. With three other guys "capable" of closing, the Braves should be able to keep Melancon from reaching any appearance incentives. Considering there are still several solid pen arms available this late, chances are pretty good that you could cut Jackson loose and get him back on a minor league deal while holding onto the guys like Webb and Walker since they still have options left and can be used on the shuttle. Cutting Jackson loose saves almost $460,000, so if you get Melancon to take $5 million plus incentives you're likely only bumping payroll ~ $4.5 million - and $2 million of that was likely earmarked for him when they backloaded Ozuna's deal.

Same thing with Camargo - if you cut him loose before the end of camp you'll save ~ $325K to replace him with whichever of Miller/Cabrera/Shaw/Holt is left without a chair when the music stops. Surely you can get one of those guys for around $2 million.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Kinda feel like Melancon has been a given for the majority of the winter. AA consistently says that they feel like they have 3 guys that are perfectly capable of closing (Smith, Martin, and Minter) and they're hoping for a bounceback from Jackson, but it just doesn't add up when he says in the same breath how much they loved having the flexibility to use Smith whenever the situation called for it rather than just in the 9th. Always trying to read between the lines when AA speaks, but if you follow the money it helps. They likely told Melancon to test the market and come back and let them know where he feels like he should be. With three other guys "capable" of closing, the Braves should be able to keep Melancon from reaching any appearance incentives. Considering there are still several solid pen arms available this late, chances are pretty good that you could cut Jackson loose and get him back on a minor league deal while holding onto the guys like Webb and Walker since they still have options left and can be used on the shuttle. Cutting Jackson loose saves almost $460,000, so if you get Melancon to take $5 million plus incentives you're likely only bumping payroll ~ $4.5 million - and $2 million of that was likely earmarked for him when they backloaded Ozuna's deal.

Same thing with Camargo - if you cut him loose before the end of camp you'll save ~ $325K to replace him with whichever of Miller/Cabrera/Shaw/Holt is left without a chair when the music stops. Surely you can get one of those guys for around $2 million.
    Agreed. There is definitely some areas for roster manipulation with Jackson and Camargo. I just don’t think AA does that. I think he’ll outright sign who he wants and not play the whole, cut and resign game.

I would absolutely love to sign both Melancon and Greene just to really solidify the pen, but I don’t think we have the money for both. Last year’s pen may be the high water mark for an elite Braves pen for a bit. This year’s will be great, especially if we sign Melancon, but it won’t be O’Ventebril or 2020 good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    We have many pieces to work a deal for a closer.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    We have many pieces to work a deal for a closer.

Not to mention we have a stellar in-house option in Luke Jackson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Not to mention we have a stellar in-house option in Luke Jackson.
    🤣

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Hechavarria signed with Chiba Lotte on Christmas day.
    And Hechavarria will be staring down Robbie Erlin if and when Chiba Lotte faces off against the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters. Hope that match-up is broadcast stateside.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-07-2021), jpx7 (02-07-2021)