Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Lee is a speed guy with a dicey hit tool but solid on-base skills. I've read that he projects as a 4th OF and if that's his floor, Mets have done alright here. Franchy Cordero is a bit of an odd player. He's shown some pop at the big league level in a very small sample size. Curious to see who the PTBNLs going to the Red Sox will end up being.
    Yeah - Cordero has always been a bit of an oddity.

Lee is at least "interesting", and outside of Crow-Armstrong the Mutts had no OF help on the horizon. Not likely going to be a huge deal if they extend Lindor and Conforto and move McNeil back to the OF or 3B when Mauricio is ready, but having internal potential bench options who won't be making any money will be a lot more important when they have to put Cano's money back on the books if Cohen cares the slightest amount about avoiding the luxury tax.

Doesn't feel like a particularly "heavy" return for Benintendi - likely shows how small a market there really was for him, particularly since his power is probably going to disappear completely with a deader ball.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-11-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-11-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Benintendi should have only been an option for us if there was a DH this year. He's under team control for 2 years and is projected to produce how Neck did for us his first few years here. Nothing to get real excited about and easy to see why it didn't cost much to get him.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-11-2021), jpx7 (02-11-2021), Super (02-11-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Benintendi should have only been an option for us if there was a DH this year. He's under team control for 2 years and is projected to produce how Neck did for us his first few years here. Nothing to get real excited about and easy to see why it didn't cost much to get him.
    And Markakis for all his warts would probably cost between 1/6 and 1/3 of what Benintendi's going to cost. That said, Benintendi could be a decent rebound candidate although his metrics have fallen dramatically. His 2018 was awfully good, but just about any player can have that one special season that turns out to be an outlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    BRIAN GOODWIN
    OF, PITTSBURGH PIRATES

Pirates signed OF Brian Goodwin to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
    It's a little surprising that Goodwin had to settle for a non-guaranteed minor league deal, but at least he landed in a spot where he should be able to find something close to regular playing time. The 30-year-old put up a .775 OPS with 23 home runs and 12 stolen bases in 186 games for the Angels and Reds between 2019-2020.

Curious as to why this guy didn't get a look.
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-11-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    He probably did get a look. You literally posted "he landed in a spot where he should be able to find something close to regular playing time".

Finding guys willing to concede to the fact they are part time players on a contender likely gums up the plans a bit.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-11-2021 at 12:56 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-11-2021), jpx7 (02-11-2021), Super (02-11-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He probably did get a look. You literally posted "he landed in a spot where he should be able to find something close to regular playing time".

Finding guys willing to concede to the fact they are part time players on a contender likely gums up to plans a bit.
    Part of the reason I've been on Mazara and Bruce for a while - they've already come to grips with the fact that they're not going to get full-time ABs for anyone - particularly a contender - but also understand they can be pretty important pieces if they're used correctly and just enjoy the paycheck and the ride.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-11-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Finding guys willing to concede to the fact they are part time players on a contender likely gums up to plans a bit.
    I think you've hit on the head why the market has been so slow for second- and third-tier guys. 2020 was such a mess that a lot of these guys are either trying to sell what may have been inflated performance (see Duvall) or hold out because they contend their sample size for 2020 was so small (see Goodwin).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-11-2021), Super (02-11-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I can't complain too much as Ozuna, Morton and Smyly is a damn good offseason but I'm a bit perplexed by how long Alex is waiting to add the final few pieces to make a complete - and very robust - roster. There are thankfully quite a few pieces on the board so maybe he's just waiting for the right deal. Or maybe he's still looking into a big trade? I'm guessing not but it's just really weird.
    dude we're just a week and a day or two out from people worrying and complaining about AA taking too long to sign Ozuna and we're already seeing posts again about AA taking too long to do things???
    it's not really weird at all. there's nothing the least bit weird about it.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-11-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    dude we're just a week and a day or two out from people worrying and complaining about AA taking too long to sign Ozuna and we're already seeing posts again about AA taking too long to do things???
    it's not really weird at all. there's nothing the least bit weird about it.
    You should know by now that UNC is going to be irrational about every single thing...good or bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Honestly, now that we have signed Ozuna, I view that as our most important piece, along with the rotation upgrades. The fringe players/pen additions can be filled in within the new few weeks.

There are plenty of options out there, and that means that a lot of other teams have yet to address those areas as well.
    Get off my lawn!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-11-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I think we are going into spring like this. Maybe one more guy gets signed. But we are going to evaluate talent and make final roster moves throughout spring. Ender, Riley, pitchers of all caliber will be evaluated then we will look at our farm guys. The catchers. Big balls. Shoe cobbler. Harris. Pache and waters will all be viewed as possible players to keep an eye on.

There will be role players still available throughout the preseason. And probably into the first few weeks of the regular season.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 02-11-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Honestly, now that we have signed Ozuna, I view that as our most important piece, along with the rotation upgrades. The fringe players/pen additions can be filled in within the new few weeks.

There are plenty of options out there, and that means that a lot of other teams have yet to address those areas as well.
    I'm still surprised we have not seen more salary dumps.

I wonder if now until the end of spring training we will see more of those. Teams coming to grips that they are not good and trying to get rid of anyone making 5 million or more. Maybe we can get some good players for cheap.

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm still surprised we have not seen more salary dumps.

I wonder if now until the end of spring training we will see more of those. Teams coming to grips that they are not good and trying to get rid of anyone making 5 million or more. Maybe we can get some good players for cheap.
    True

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts

Finding guys willing to concede to the fact they are part time players on a contender likely gums up the plans a bit.
    That was the rotoworld blurb on the transaction.

Still a milb deal doesn't guarantee you much.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    The Mets have resumed trade talks with the Cubs for Kris Bryant, via Andy Martino (SNYtv)

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    The Mets have resumed trade talks with the Cubs for Kris Bryant, via Andy Martino (SNYtv)
    Maybe the reason they’ve acquired those random prospects?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheffield10 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Is it just me or are the Mets involved in nearly every single rumor this off season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Craig Carton: @EvanRobertsWFAN and I have been told that the @Mets have talked to the Oakland A's about acquiring 3rd Baseman Matt Chapman

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Craig Carton: @EvanRobertsWFAN and I have been told that the @Mets have talked to the Oakland A's about acquiring 3rd Baseman Matt Chapman
    I have been told that almost every team has talked to Oakland about acquiring Chapman.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    So the Mets have the prospects to swing this deal? I was under the impression that it would take a serious amount of quantity and quality to land Chapman.