Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Concern, sign someone, bliss.
    Concern...

Maybe AA forgot how to build a team this offseason, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt considering he's been aces so far.

ETA... changed "freak out" to "concern". I think the vast majority here aren't freaking out.
    Last edited by msstate7; 02-13-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Oh I understand there's still time, but when guys like Miller and Cabrera, both of whom would have been great additions to our bench and fit perfectly with what we still need, and they both sign for low amounts, you have to at least wonder.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    There's also the fact that the available needed inventory is dwindling fast.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Oh I understand there's still time, but when guys like Miller and Cabrera, both of whom would have been great additions to our bench and fit perfectly with what we still need, and they both sign for low amounts, you have to at least wonder.
    High-insight being 2020, it looks like for the $11m we have given Smyly, we could have allocated to:

Lester/Cabrera/Gonzalez or so many other combinations for the same amount.

Granted, if Smyly goes out and wins 15 games at around a 3.50 ERA, i'm sure all will be forgiven
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Interesting how it leads different people to different conclusions... to me it means he's trying to make a bigger splash and doesn't want to waste his budget on bit players when he may be trying to get one more big bat at third base. He's been clear that there's a chunk of money left. Fill your bit players in when you know how much money you have left.

I could be wrong, right, or I could be right but the deal never presents itself... but to me its the only thing that makes sense with all that has been reported budget wise from AA himself and all the beat writers.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 02-13-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    High-insight being 2020, it looks like for the $11m we have given Smyly, we could have allocated to:

Lester/Cabrera/Gonzalez or so many other combinations for the same amount.

Granted, if Smyly goes out and wins 15 games at around a 3.50 ERA, i'm sure all will be forgiven
    Lester is toast... If Smyly stays healthy, he's easily a much better option

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-13-2021)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Or maybe they aren’t the perfect fit some of us think they are. Or, maybe they didn’t want to sign with Atlanta. Or maybe one of a million other things. It’s not like AA suddenly forgot how to build a team and is just letting guys sign with other teams because he’s busy helping his wife pick out tile for the bathroom.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I suspect AA feels strongly about Smyly as aggressive as he was. He doesn’t give out big contracts lightly. Obviously we’ll see how it pans out but I have a good feeling Smyly will be better than we think.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Interesting how it leads different people to different conclusions... to me it means he's trying to make a bigger splash and doesn't want to waste his budget on bit players when he may be trying to get one more big bat at third base. He's been clear that there's a chunk of money left. Fill your bit players in when you know how much money you have left.

I could be wrong, right, or I could be right but the deal never presents itself... but to me its the only thing that makes sense with all that has been reported budget wise from AA himself and all the beat writers.
    You may be right, that is certainly a possibility and would make sense given no other moves fringe moves yet. I hope that's the case.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Lester is toast... If Smyly stays healthy, he's easily a much better option
    I'm not saying Lester would be better by himself than Smyly. I was suggesting that an overall package of those 3 players looks like it could have a similar or bigger influence than Smyly by himself
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    You may be right, that is certainly a possibility and would make sense given no other moves fringe moves yet. I hope that's the case.
    If he does go get a big 3b like Turner/Bryant/Chapman (less likely), then Riley goes to the bench which improves our current situation
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

While it's certainly not time to panic, it's fair for those pointing out that several of the recent signings are at least concerning to do so. It's definitely fair to criticize the decision to tender Camargo and Jackson if money is even REMOTELY tight at this point and to assume that they misread the RP and bench depth market to a point (hindsight or not). If you can't afford less than $1.5 million to upgrade from Camargo to Cabrera the budget wasn't handled very well - simply non-tendering Dayton (when you already have 3 other lefties in the pen plus Newk, Pfeifer, Davidson, and Muller hanging out right up the road would have covered most of the Camargo --> Cabrera cost, and Cabrera would have given you someone who could legitimately share time with Riley if another 3B isn't brought in.

It's fair to hope that a 3B upgrade is in the works, but let's be honest here...with the information that's out there at this point that just doesn't look likely - unless AA is finally willing to back up the truck and do what he has shown no inclination to do since taking over. The reports (true or not) say that he a.) balked at the asking price for Ramirez, b.) say that Chapman isn't available, c.) isn't interested in Bryant, d.) haven't mentioned Suarez as available in quite some time, and e.) give every indication that anyone trying to get Turner to come east is going to have to substantially overpay (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...-turner-2.html).

AA obviously has other moves available (trading for Moran or signing Shaw to pair with Riley or trading for Seager), but the fact remains that Cabrera or Miller COULD HAVE been added inexpensively and either would have made this team that much deeper.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-13-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    If he does go get a big 3b like Turner/Bryant/Chapman (less likely), then Riley goes to the bench which improves our current situation
    If the 3b was acquired via trade, I would almost guarantee Riley would be involved in the trade.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    That would certainly be the case.... also, in the event we end up with a DH (Still very plausible) Riley is in LF. I know the opening of ST feels like a deadline of sorts to get things done.... as does opening day, but in reality there are very few deadlines. Rosters change all season long. The ST roster will change a bunch before opening day. A month later it will be different.

We are all too focused on the date. It is an ongoing process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Jay Bruce signs with the Yankees on a minor league deal... let's go get Brett Gardner

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-13-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I think AA is just waiting on Justin Turner. If not he move to another third baseman.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If the 3b was acquired via trade, I would almost guarantee Riley would be involved in the trade.
    And I'm still not convinced that a deal like that we haven't discussed for a while isn't still the best option...Riley and Ender for Seager and $5 million.

Makes Seager a $10 million player for 2021 and 2022, and gives you a LH bat to hit between Ozuna and d'Arnaud. Sign Josh Reddick to play RF for the first couple months to get the extra year of control over Pache back while he's getting everyday ABs in Gwinnett (or platoon the two of them with Acuna back in RF when Pache plays) and maybe pick up Todd Frazier or Eric Sogard (and possibly Flowers) to make the bench a bit deeper.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-13-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I think AA is just waiting on Justin Turner. If not he move to another third baseman.
    Doubt we sign Turner.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    No matter what....this team goes as Ender does.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    I totally forgot about Seager as an option at 3b. Shaw still seems available too as Riley insurance.

Gardner and JBJ are still good LHH options in the OF, and both take pressure off Pache needing to to be ready opening day. Adam Frazier still fits too. Even Markakis works as a Plan D. Is there any word in Peralta being available?

Who still fits at SS now that Villar and Miller are gone? Cozart?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-13-2021 at 01:08 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-13-2021)