Page 195 of 229 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I like Mike Moustakas if they grab Inciarte and throw atleast 10-15 millions back.

We can bat Swanson or Albies second batter and place Moustakas 5th batter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why are we giving AA a pass or benefit of the doubt? He didn’t build this team. The core was in place for him to add around the edges and not screw anything up. Do I think he has one a good job. Yes. Am I giving him a pass. No.
    I think it's because he's guided the team to the playoffs every year, had the team up 3-1 in the NLCS, and locked up the team's best young players to absurdly team friendly deals without trading away a single useful team asset or committing to a single questionable long term deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Why are we giving AA a pass or benefit of the doubt? He didn’t build this team. The core was in place for him to add around the edges and not screw anything up. Do I think he has one a good job. Yes. Am I giving him a pass. No.
    Pass for what? We're undefeated so far this year with 3 straight division titles.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-18-2021), jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think it's because he's guided the team to the playoffs every year, had the team up 3-1 in the NLCS, and locked up the team's best young players to absurdly team friendly deals without trading away a single useful team asset or committing to a single questionable long term deal.
    Do you think most GMs could have guided this team to division titles. Our core is solid.

Like I said he has done great filling around the edges. He hasn’t taken any risks. He has just done what he has needed to get the job done. He hit on JD andOzuna. And missed o Hamels. So I would say I am happy with his progress answers the team is. But that doesn’t give him a pass on people questioning him or worrying he isn’t doing enough.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Do you think most GMs could have guided this team to division titles. Our core is solid.

Like I said he has done great filling around the edges. He hasn’t taken any risks. He has just done what he has needed to get the job done. He hit on JD andOzuna. And missed o Hamels. So I would say I am happy with his progress answers the team is. But that doesn’t give him a pass on people questioning him or worrying he isn’t doing enough.
    Well if he makes a couple stupid signings, like sign guys past 1 year and trade away key prospects. It sets the team back. Yes, our core was in place but AA could have went all-in for a 2-3 year window and we'd be screwed here shortly. I would like some more depth moves but AA always has a plan.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Tatis is super talented but this deal is just absurd. The dude has like 580 total at-bats at the MLB level. This is all about the revenue he will bring in as the "face of baseball," which is also silly.
    $24.285 million per ain't bad for arguably the best SS in the sport - it's probably perfectly reasonable to expect that Lindor, Story, Seager, Correa, and Baez will all get that type of AAV (or higher) by next winter.

Does anyone seriously expect those guys to get less than 6 years/$150 million? Story and Baez would be one year older, Seager and Lindor would be the same age, and Correa a year younger than Tatis will be when his deal expires if they sign for that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I think a lot of GMs wouldn't have made the moves to win three division titles without having the Braves poised to compete for five more.

I can't really control and don't want to control whether people worry about whether he isn't doing enough. I'm explaining why people that don't really question much he has done feel that way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    $24.285 million per ain't bad for arguably the best SS in the sport - it's probably perfectly reasonable to expect that Lindor, Story, Seager, Correa, and Baez will all get that type of AAV (or higher) by next winter.

Does anyone seriously expect those guys to get less than 6 years/$150 million? Story and Baez would be one year older, Seager and Lindor would be the same age, and Correa a year younger than Tatis will be when his deal expires if they sign for that.

I think it's fair to question whether buying another 8 years of control for more than 30m per is a particularly great move.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

I think all/most of them probably beat Tatis' AAV. But will get more AAV/APY. I wonder if AA will get in on the SS market next winter. My guess is Lindor re-signs with NYM, Dodgers keep Seager, Story is probably leaving the Rockies. Correa TBD and Baez will be an interesting case study.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    The Brewers are speaking with Rosenthal. They clearly have the money after whiffing on Turner. They're looking to play the role of the Royals - elite bullpen, decent to solid offense and OK starting staff.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think a lot of GMs wouldn't have made the moves to win three division titles without having the Braves poised to compete for five more.

I can't really control and don't want to control whether people worry about whether he isn't doing enough. I'm explaining why people that don't really question much he has done feel that way.
    Yeah, people acting like a random joe could do what AA has done the last 3 years is quite a take.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Brewers are speaking with Rosenthal. They clearly have the money after whiffing on Turner. They're looking to play the role of the Royals - elite bullpen, decent to solid offense and OK starting staff.
    LMAO. Rosenthal to A's, per Heyman.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Rosenthal got 11 mil for 1 year. That's a lotta cheddar.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-18-2021), jpx7 (02-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts

And that's a bad thing?

I recall everyone and their mother (including me) wanting him to sign Kimbrell 2 years ago. That would have been a huge mistake. Everyone also wanted Chris Archer. Again, would have been a huge mistake. Mike Clevinger? Again, a huge mistake.

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-18-2021), jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    And that's a bad thing?

I recall everyone and their mother (including me) wanting him to sign Kimbrell 2 years ago. That would have been a huge mistake. Everyone also wanted Chris Archer. Again, would have been a huge mistake. Mike Clevinger? Again, a huge mistake.

Yeah all those moves would have been ****ing disaster.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts

It's more like 30 million a year when you factor in him being relatively cheap for the next 4 seasons. That's likely right under current market value for what he's expected to produce. The downside is that he really only has a full year worth of PA's at the MLB level. Not the longest track record but barring injury he's a pretty safe bet to be a beast imo. The upside here is that this price is locked in right now. Who knows what the going rate will be in 4 years. Prices somehow keep going up so if he maintains it could be somewhat cheap at the time he was set to be a FA.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    And that's a bad thing?

A lot of folks around here also wanted JD back for several years. Some wanted to give Bumgarner several years. I remember when Grandall was my top target for the Braves.

We would have sunk this team.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-18-2021), jpx7 (02-19-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A lot of folks around here also wanted JD back for several years. Some wanted to give Bumgarner several years. I remember when Grandall was my top target for the Braves.

We would have sunk this team.
    Bumgarner would have been absolutely horrible, Grandal would have been interesting but AA as it always seems made the correct move with TDA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

we saw Frank Wren badly screw up a somewhat similar situation with terrible FA signings and poor draft after poor draft.
    i think a lot of GMs do similar things to Wren - "going for it" too hard and with too little caution.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    And that's a bad thing?

exactly. people keep clamoring for "risks" i guess because they make headlines and it's exciting in the moment. but those risks almost always leave the team in a dire situation sooner or later. so far the Braves have added zero long-term risks while still competing every year, and last year being one game away from a World Series that IMO they win.

we've seen what being too aggressive can do to a team that has good young pieces. being risk-averse while still competing at high levels is the dream, right? why take risks when you don't have to? lots of GMs would have made those aggressive moves to "go for it." AA hasn't, and has kept the future in impeccable shape.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg