Results 4,261 to 4,280 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with Ozuna or signing Freeman to an extension.
    I think Ozuna had an excellent impact on team culture especially with the latin players. I don’t know how comfortable I would be with Freeman being the sole productive veteran voice going forward. Having Ozuna on board changes that dynamic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-28-2021)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If we can sign Freeman, having a top 4 of Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Ozuna for the forseeable future is quite good. And as someone else said, Acuna was on the low list of reasons Atlanta lost to St Louis in 2019. Hardly anyone except Albies, Swanson, and Acuna could hit for squat that series.
    Oh agreed. I just think it was a bad look for Freeman to be talking **** when he couldn’t hit and was a far bigger problem.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-28-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I think Ozuna had an excellent impact on team culture especially with the latin players. I don’t know how comfortable I would be with Freeman being the sole productive veteran voice going forward. Having Ozuna on board changes that dynamic.
    Ozuna to me is actually the bridge between the latin and american players. Since he's very outgoing and fluent in both languages, you could see him last year getting along with everyone. Sometimes you see guys staying with cliques. It's huge for the clubhouse.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-28-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    All the teeth-gnashing about Acuña around that time was a bit much, for sure.
    Message board. At the end of the day pretty much any teeth-gnashing is a bit much, and typically EXTRORDINARILY overblown.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Oh agreed. I just think it was a bad look for Freeman to be talking **** when he couldn’t hit and was a far bigger problem.
    Should've benched him.

Think AA can get anything if he trades him???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Ozuna to me is actually the bridge between the latin and american players. Since he's very outgoing and fluent in both languages, you could see him last year getting along with everyone. Sometimes you see guys staying with cliques. It's huge for the clubhouse.
    The "bridge" between the Latin and American players - as well as the black and white ones and the lesbians and crossdressers doesn't hit, he gives multiple interviews every night during the season - let's hope Ozuna's mind is elsewhere,

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Is there any chance of Comargo giving up switch hitting at this point and being better? He hits well from the right side. If he could just not be terrible vs RH he could be much more valuable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Baseball America apparently has us as the favorite to sign a top 2021-22 international prospect. I don't have an account so not sure the name, but good news that we are getting back heavily involved. Hopefully the name leaks so we can find some videos.

https://twitter.com/CarlosACollazo/s...568452096?s=20
    Last edited by CJ9; 03-02-2021 at 12:32 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-02-2021), Tapate50 (03-02-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Baseball America apparently has us as the favorite to sign a top 2021-22 international prospect. I don't have an account so not sure the name, but good news that we are getting back heavily involved. Hopefully the name leaks so we can find some videos.

https://twitter.com/CarlosACollazo/s...568452096?s=20
    They already signed him. Ambioris Tavarez.

The bat is the reason Tavarez is coveted. He’s a right handed hitter with huge bat speed and big power potential- especially once he fills in his body.

There isn’t a ton of video of Tavarez available, but what is out there really showcases his bat speed. If you haven’t seen the video yet, the best way to describe it is eye opening. It almost reminds me of a young Javier Baez in the impressive right handed bat speed in a frame that’s not huge.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2021/1/1...signing-period
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post

The bat is the reason Tavarez is coveted. He’s a right handed hitter with huge bat speed and big power potential- especially once he fills in his body.

There isn’t a ton of video of Tavarez available, but what is out there really showcases his bat speed. If you haven’t seen the video yet, the best way to describe it is eye opening. It almost reminds me of a young Javier Baez in the impressive right handed bat speed in a frame that’s not huge.

No, Tavarez is in the 2020-21 class. The link is to a bat in the 2021-22 class.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Glad to finally be out of all the restriction nonsense. Time to go ham on the international market.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I think Tavarez is 20-21 and CJ9 is referencing 21-22. You could be right or maybe the Braves are in on another guy. Sure will be nice when the sanctions are through.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Turns out the 2021-22 name is INF Diego Benitez. I'm finding very little about him through a quick search. Looks like he was initially expected to sign with the Yankees, but they screwed up something with signing his best friend last year plus Benitez has physically matured a lot since then and will command more money. So we are now seen as the likely landing spot for him. The little that's out there lists him as a SS who likely will move to 3B, but he can supposedly really hit. Seems like a top 10 guy, maybe better, from the upcoming international class.

Hard to find much else out there about him.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    So who had Odorizzi or JBJ in the pool to guess “the player who tanked their own FA market with unreasonable contract demands”?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So who had Odorizzi or JBJ in the pool to guess “the player who tanked their own FA market with unreasonable contract demands”?
    Doesn't sound like Odorizzi's have been that "unreasonable", although he's an idiot for not taking something a little less by now IMO - JBJ's getting what he deserves for listening to Borass. 4 years for an older, defense-first CF in this market? Yeah, sure.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Turns out the 2021-22 name is INF Diego Benitez. I'm finding very little about him through a quick search. Looks like he was initially expected to sign with the Yankees, but they screwed up something with signing his best friend last year plus Benitez has physically matured a lot since then and will command more money. So we are now seen as the likely landing spot for him. The little that's out there lists him as a SS who likely will move to 3B, but he can supposedly really hit. Seems like a top 10 guy, maybe better, from the upcoming international class.

Hard to find much else out there about him.
    He's #6 on the new BA list. "Gap power with a chance to grow into average or better power as he gets stronger" is their current soundbyte.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-03-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

Well, at least he only compared his bat speed to Baez, and didn't exaggerate it by a comp to Sheffield.

Where's the eyeroll emoji?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well, at least he only compared his bat speed to Baez, and didn't exaggerate it by a comp to Sheffield.

Where's the eyeroll emoji?
    The Talking Chop writers watching YouTube videos and asserting themselves as prospect analysts has been extremely bizarre over the last few years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    The Talking Chop writers watching YouTube videos and asserting themselves as prospect analysts has been extremely bizarre over the last few years.
    Everything produced by TC is pretty useless.

It reminds me of that guy Fat Ben who joined these boards a few years ago and then tried to awe everyone with his stories of discussing scouting video with his friends on conference calls. It's like he tried to invent some sort of amateur video scouting universe, and used his existence in it to call himself an expert. I've never seen anything so bizarre as these pseudo-experts with zero connections, experience, or relevant skills.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    AAA season to be delayed a month. Wonder where those mlb ready prospects are gonna go for more “seasoning” to start the year.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-03-2021)