Page 6 of 229 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The obvious question on Shewmake is do you waste service time on a guy who would likely be a 300 AB back-up. Braves have shown little reluctance in promoting players aggressively (arguably sometimes to the player's and team's detriment), but if they see Shewmake as a guy who will develop into a regular (and if you draft a guy in the first round, I hope--and would venture a solid guess--that they view him as an everyday player), I doubt they are going to burn service time right out of the gate with him.

As clvclv has often pointed out, we know little of substance in terms of what is going on at the alternate site. Shewmake would have probably been in Gwinnett at some point in 2020 had it been a regular and uninterrupted season and if that had been the case, we would have a better idea if Shewmake would fit into a prominent role in 2021. As it is, my guess is they'll want to see him against live and competitive pitching next spring training and most likely into the regular minor league season before moving him up to the big leagues.
    That's a big part of it. They've had a chance to have their top developmental guys (as well as AA) get an extended look at Contreras, Pache, Waters, Shewmake, Langeliers, Davidson, De La Cruz, and Muller - which is something that doesn't take place in a typical minor league season. AA and his most trusted lieutenants don't get to make multiple trips to Mississippi, Florida, and Rome to stay and watch these guys for a week or two at a time. They've gotten to see these kids compete, go through stretches when things are going good and bad, and have been able to get a much better feel for them since they've been able to watch them all summer. There's always going to be at least some doubt when you see them in a typical season - did you catch them when they were going good? Right after they broke up with a girlfriend? Whatever.

The younger guys have gotten to play against significantly more advanced competition than they would have playing in A ball (or even AA) simply because they were drafted recently. The organization has never shown any reluctance to push players aggressively until they show that they need to slow them down, and it doesn't look like that's going to change under AA. The longer look they've gotten this summer gives them a much better feel for whether or not some of these guys are legitimate everyday players, and if so it makes sense to take more time with them. The reports about Shewmake have been all over the place since well before he was drafted - questionable defense/too big and lumbering/etc.. The decision makers have had a chance to see those questions answered this year against top-tier prospects and young players with MLB experience rather than guys at the appropriate level because of their age. You can tell a LOT more about our young hitters when they're hitting against Wilson/Touki/Newk/Folty than you can when they're hitting against your average AA and AAA pitchers who have little chance of becoming MLB SPs.

It's unfortunate that WE don't get to see or hear about what's going on at Gwinnett, but AA and his guys have likely gotten a MUCH better feel for the players at the alternate site than they ever would have if this had been a "normal" summer.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    No, he stated he will be seeking a team that will let him pitch every 4th day for the entire year next year. He says that's how he feels the best and is best for his body.
    He wants a one year contract where he always pitches on short rest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    That will never happen and it's selfish. Because then the rest of your rotation is constantly out of whack and those guys won't be in rhythm.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    That will never happen and it's selfish. Because then the rest of your rotation is constantly out of whack and those guys won't be in rhythm.
    Nah. Find a team to do 4 man rotation who wants to deploy an opener as the 5th.

Braves might actually be perfect.

Bauer
    Soroka
    Fried
    Wright/Anderson
    Bauer
    Opener
    Soroka
    Fried
    Bauer
    Wright/Anderson
    Opener
    Soroka
    Bauer
    Fried
    Wright/Anderson

Etc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-20-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Also seems pretty stupid on his part. More starts is more wear and tear, a bad move for someone not ona guaranteed deal.

I do not think I believe any part of this will ever happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    That's what he said

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    That's what he said
    Problem with that is not necessarily what it means for him but what it means for the rest of the rotation. If he pitches every 4 days, at a minimum the other starters have less routine and lose starts. Everybody else pitches on 4 days rest. He pitches on 3. Seems like other starters would be at risk of getting bumped pretty often to accommodate him. It could work if the rotation is largely unsettled with a lot of movement of young guys up or down or full of guys that you don't worry about pissing off. It could also work in limited one-off opportunities where an off day helps facilitate. But routine? I don't see it.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Bauer seems plenty talented but so much of a weirdo that it seems that it's more of a center of attention mechanism than anything else. He seems like he could be very disruptive.

Cleveland tends to handle there guys pretty well there normally and he still had some run-ins. I also wonder (completely unsubstantiated) how much of an influence he may have had on Clevenger and Plesac while he was there. Not saying he had anything directly to do with what they did this year. But wondering if his attitude and actions (ie clubhouse presence) may have indirectly contributed to some bad decisions.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 09-20-2020 at 11:56 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-21-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Nah. Find a team to do 4 man rotation who wants to deploy an opener as the 5th.

Braves might actually be perfect.

Bauer
    Soroka
    Fried
    Wright/Anderson
    Bauer
    Opener
    Soroka
    Fried
    Bauer
    Wright/Anderson
    Opener
    Soroka
    Bauer
    Fried
    Wright/Anderson

Etc
    Maybe something like this for the 1st month of next season assuming Soroka’s good to go.

4/1 Bauer
    4/2 OFF
    4/3 Fried
    4/4 Soroka
    4/5 Bauer
    4/6 Anderson
    4/7 Wright
    4/8 OFF
    4/9 Fried
    4/10 Bauer
    4/11 Soroka
    4/12 Anderson
    4/13 Wright
    4/14 Bauer
    4/15 Fried
    4/16 Soroka
    4/17 Anderson
    4/18 Bauer
    4/19 OFF
    4/20 Fried
    4/21 Soroka
    4/22 OFF
    4/23 Bauer
    4/24 Anderson
    4/25 Fried
    4/26 Soroka
    4/27 Bauer
    4/28 Wright
    4/29 Anderson
    4/30 Fried

7 starts for Bauer
    6 starts for Fried
    5 starts for Soroka
    5 starts for Anderson
    3 starts for Wright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    If you read Bauer's social media you will understand why he will never be a Braves player. The way he acts is definitely not "The Braves Way". As others have mentioned, his attitude is certainly very disruptive and hard to imagine him being a good part of the clubhouse.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    If you read Bauer's social media you will understand why he will never be a Braves player. The way he acts is definitely not "The Braves Way". As others have mentioned, his attitude is certainly very disruptive and hard to imagine him being a good part of the clubhouse.
    I would have hoped "The Braves Way" died out when AA was hired

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I would have hoped "The Braves Way" died out when AA was hired
    Doesn't change the fact that you're not interested in bringing someone in who's strictly about what makes him comfortable and apparently couldn't care less what that does to the rest of the rotation or team.

You don't bench stars that are quirky (looking at you Acuna) as long as those quirks don't adversely affect their teammates, but bringing someone in that expects everyone to play "His Way" isn't appealing to many players or teams. Last time I checked Gerrit Cole still shaves before going to the dugout.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    FG on our catcher situation:
    AJ: Do you think William Contreras showed enough to be considered the Braves’ catcher of the future? His swing in spring training and later from the clips from the alternate site really impressed me.
    12:57
    Eric A Longenhagen: Yes, I think he’s the guy
    Eric A Longenhagen: like him more than Langeliers

Probably let Flowers walk this offseason and let CDA start and WC as the back half of the platoon?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    AJ: Do you think William Contreras showed enough to be considered the Braves’ catcher of the future? His swing in spring training and later from the clips from the alternate site really impressed me.

Probably let Flowers walk this offseason and let CDA start and WC as the back half of the platoon?
    I could see another year with an option for Flowers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that you're not interested in bringing someone in who's strictly about what makes him comfortable and apparently couldn't care less what that does to the rest of the rotation or team.

You don't bench stars that are quirky (looking at you Acuna) as long as those quirks don't adversely affect their teammates, but bringing someone in that expects everyone to play "His Way" isn't appealing to many players or teams. Last time I checked Gerrit Cole still shaves before going to the dugout.
    I doubt Bauer gets his way on this so it's not really going to matter.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

In a normal situation I'd try to get Flowers to stay for 1 more year. But with a likely payroll crunch this looks like an easy way to save 4 million.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-21-2020), jpx7 (09-21-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Problem with that is not necessarily what it means for him but what it means for the rest of the rotation. If he pitches every 4 days, at a minimum the other starters have less routine and lose starts. Everybody else pitches on 4 days rest. He pitches on 3. Seems like other starters would be at risk of getting bumped pretty often to accommodate him. It could work if the rotation is largely unsettled with a lot of movement of young guys up or down or full of guys that you don't worry about pissing off. It could also work in limited one-off opportunities where an off day helps facilitate. But routine? I don't see it.
    I get it and I understand. I’m just letting you know what he said. He will likely have a ton of negotiating power so it’s not impossible.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I really miss having the minors to watch. I went digging and think I understand the following mlb.com top 30 prospects were invited to the Alternate Site.

1. Christain Pache
    2. Drew Waters
    3. Ian Anderson
    4. Shea Langeliers
    5. Bryce Wilson
    6. Braden Shewmake
    7. Kyle Muller
    8. William Contreras
    9. Tucker Davidson
    10. Jared Schuster
    11. Huascar Ynoa
    12. Jasseel De La Cruz
    14. Michael Harris
    16. Patrick Weigel
    19. Victor Vodnik
    21. Bryce Ball
    23. Alex Jackson
    24. Vaughn Grissom
    28. Jeremy Walker
    29. Philip Pfeifer
    30. Logan Brown

Just looking at the list it appears they went with top prospects, prospects that could be expected to help the big club (arms and catchers) and developmental prospects they didn't want to lose a year of development. Three players jumped out at me:

13 is Freddy Tarnok. He seemed to be gaining some steam at the end of 2019. Anyone know why he was left out. Vodnik got the invite? Has Tarnok's star dimmed or was it just the case of an emergency pen arm vs. a projected starter?
    Michael Harris is the youngest player invited. 3rd round pick last year described as toolsy but very raw. He lit up rookie ball, but struggled after the promotion to Rome. Is he too low at 14?
    24 is Vaughn Grissom. He is the second youngest player behind Harris. He was an over slot sign in the 11th round last year. More than held his own in rookie ball. Is he too low?

Anyone got any insight?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I noticed that Dansby is second in DRS this season, which I don't think has been much noticed this season.

Negotiations over his extension are probably one of the more interesting questions for the front office this offseason. Perhaps he's not interested.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I noticed that Dansby is second in DRS this season, which I don't think has been much noticed this season.

Negotiations over his extension are probably one of the more interesting questions for the front office this offseason. Perhaps he's not interested.
    The SS FA market in 2 years is also going to be insane. Lindor, Story, Correa, Seager, Baez, and Bogey can opt out. Some may sign new deals but could be factored in. I'd have no problem getting Dansby to an extension depending on the terms.