Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You have $48 million to pay JBJ with?

Chances are pretty *amn good that AA doesn't.
    4/12. Why hasn’t he signed that deal already. I think he is going on a one or two year deal.
    Coppy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-21-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I like lamb. If healthy he is a big upgrade over comargo and panda IMO. Playing part time maybe keeps him healthy.
    If a dh gets dropped late you have a reasonable option.

We do not have a decent rh option off the bench. I can’t see us having panda lamb and comargo.

No speed or rh option currently has n the bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    4/12. Why hasn’t he signed that deal already. I think he is going on a one or two year deal.
    Yeah he’s not getting 48 million or close to it. A one year deal would probably be in his best interest.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I like lamb. If healthy he is a big upgrade over comargo and panda IMO. Playing part time maybe keeps him healthy.
    If a dh gets dropped late you have a reasonable option.

We do not have a decent rh option off the bench. I can’t see us having panda lamb and comargo.

No speed or rh option currently has n the bench
    He seems like a replacement for Camargo, and pairs better with Riley. I see the bench as:

Jackson (or some backup catcher)
    Kipnis (LF, 2B, 1B, and SS by shifting Albies over)
    Lamb (soft platoon at 3B with Riley)
    Ender (CF)
    Open bench slot

That open bench slot is the most interesting. If no DH, it could be a better defensive backup SS, or a RHH option off the bench. If there is a DH it should be someone like JBJ or Puig who can handle the OF while Ozuna is DHing.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Whether Bradley gets what Borass wants is irrelevant - from DOB's estimates AA has about $5 million to spend with $5 million left after that for potential moves at the deadline.

That was BEFORE signing Lamb, and also doesn't include what will have to be paid to Jackson (~$460K), Camargo (~$360K), Dayton (~$215K), or Mayfield if they lose their roster spots.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-21-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Whether Bradley gets what Borass wants is irrelevant - from DOB's estimates AA has about $5 million to spend with $5 million left after that for potential moves at the deadline.

That was BEFORE signing Lamb, and also doesn't include what will have to be paid to Jackson (~$460K), Camargo (~$360K), Dayton (~$215K), or Mayfield if they lose their roster spots.
    But it does include their current salaries, assuming they're making the roster—so, releases of any or all those guys could alleviate the smallest of salary pressures.

My money's on Camargo being released. Meanwhile, I think Mayfield might actually make the team as the backup SS.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    But it does include their current salaries, assuming they're making the roster—so, releases of any or all those guys could alleviate the smallest of salary pressures.

My money's on Camargo being released. Meanwhile, I think Mayfield might actually make the team as the backup SS.
    Was kinda leaning that way too - although having Adrianza on a minor league deal probably makes Mayfield an easy release too if they believe in Camargo's bat more than his.

Releasing any of those guys does free up part of their money though, you're right. I'm pretty much in the same camp with Enscheff personally - if they'd consider Ozzie as the emergency SS for a portion of a game if Dansby gets hurt, Adrianza (or possibly Shewmake later in the year) could be called up if you have to put him on the DL (that's arguably a better plan than having Johan as the emergency SS). If AA could sign Puig, I'd Release BOTH Camargo and Mayfield and go with a bench consisting of A-Jax, Kipnis, Lamb, Puig, and Ender/Pache. Given where the bench stood this time last week that wouldn't be half-bad.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-21-2021 at 04:00 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Was kinda leaning that way too - although having Adrianza on a minor league deal probably makes Mayfield an easy release too if they believe in Camargo's bat more than his.

Releasing any of those guys does free up part of their money though, you're right. I'm pretty much in the same camp with Enscheff personally - if they'd consider Ozzie as the emergency SS for a portion of a game if Dansby gets hurt, Adrianza (or possibly Shewmake later in the year) could be called up if you have to put him on the DL - that's arguably a better plan than having Johan as the emergency SS option. If AA could sign Puig, I'd Release BOTH Camargo and Mayfield and go with a bench consisting of A-Jax, Kipnis, Lamb, Puig, and Ender. Given where the bench stood this time last week that wouldn't be half-bad.
    It doesn't save any money, but there's also the chance Inciarte is dropped off the roster entirely, should he look absolutely terrible in March along certain key metrics (ie sprint speed). If he truly has bottomed-out, the roster spot is nonetheless worthwhile.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It doesn't save any money, but there's also the chance Inciarte is dropped off the roster entirely, should he look absolutely terrible in March along certain key metrics (ie sprint speed). If he truly has bottomed-out, the roster spot is nonetheless worthwhile.
    Potentially as an absolute last resort. With corporate ownership already staring significant losses from the pandemic dead in the face, my guess is that AA is stuck in the position that DFAing Ender and paying him to go home (or play for someone else) is something he's not in the best of positions to do - otherwise he might have been cut already since Acuna could have been moved back to CF if they decide to wait a little bit for Pache. Releasing Camargo, Mayfield, and Almonte would still be cheaper than cutting Ender.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-21-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I feel pretty confident that If AA needs 10-12 million to sign a Puig or JBJ then he will get it. It might come at the cost of cutting Johan and not getting another pen arm. But he will get the funds.
    Coppy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Like clvclv, if it comes to Adrianza v. Mayfield, my money is on Adrianza, largely because he has extensive major league experience. I can't figure out why they are filling up a spot on the 40-man with a 30-year-old guy whose never really hit.

It will be a mad scramble to figure out what the bench is going to look like.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Whats the love for JBJ? Another BJ Upton...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    I feel pretty confident that If AA needs 10-12 million to sign a Puig or JBJ then he will get it. It might come at the cost of cutting Johan and not getting another pen arm. But he will get the funds.
    He should be able to sign Puig for the spare change rolling around in the company car’s glovebox, which is certainly less than $10M.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    he’s really nothing like Upton. and won’t require a similar financial commitment either.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    In a typical year, sure. I'm not the only person that hasn't forgotten all the inexpensive options that came off the board over the last two weeks while AA sat and watched and Jackson, Dayton. Camargo, Mayfield, and Almonte held onto roster spots, am I???

Asking corporate ownership to pony up an extra $5 million when they just lost tens of millions, have no clue when fans are going to be allowed in the stands, and ALSO may lose half the profits they expected to make from hosting the All-Star game is an awfully big ask. It's "easy" to do that when you can show them projected revenues from sold out stadiums and the bags of money they'll get from hosting a few playoff games - it's a little different when that money is already spent trying to make up for the losses that have piled up so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He seems like a replacement for Camargo, and pairs better with Riley. I see the bench as:

Jackson (or some backup catcher)
    Kipnis (LF, 2B, 1B, and SS by shifting Albies over)
    Lamb (soft platoon at 3B with Riley)
    Ender (CF)
    Open bench slot

That open bench slot is the most interesting. If no DH, it could be a better defensive backup SS, or a RHH option off the bench. If there is a DH it should be someone like JBJ or Puig who can handle the OF while Ozuna is DHing.
    I think comargo stays bc someone has to be able to play ss if dansby gets hurt.

I get your allies to ss option but I don’t think they’ll do that. Maybe if Swanson is out for a while. I still think they’d prefer to stash a glove only ss at aaa.

Not sure soft platoons definition. I think Riley plays 4/5 at least.

Need a rh hitter. I’d like some speed. I’d like a bench bat that has a better hit tool, even if power is lacking.

If you have a situation late and you need the ball in play you’ve got nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If jbj comes to you and says 1 year 15 can we do it? Would we do it?

I think it would be worth the money for another year of pache control. Of course new CBC may change control a ton.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If jbj comes to you and says 1 year 15 can we do it? Would we do it?

I think it would be worth the money for another year of pache control. Of course new CBC may change control a ton.
    You spend 15 millions and then get another Tommy Milone during the trade deadline ?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    In regards to the Lamb news, it’s very rare that Bowman breaks anything other than wind.

We got a rare crumb from him
    Get off my lawn!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    He’s literally better than Atlanta era and beyond BJ Upton at everything at baseball. It’s not even close and he will be a ton cheaper