Page 36 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Thinking well outside the box...

Given the high volume of good available RPs for once, I wonder if there's been any consideration given to building a "nuclear bullpen" rather than chasing another conventional SP

Morton, Happ, Wainright, and Lester are all older guys like Hamels was. Wood, Hill, Smyly, and Minor are all big injury risks. They're going to treat Soroka with kid gloves whenever he's ready, Wilson and Wright have shown enough promise that you feel like they can probably be counted on to be 4-5 inning guys, you've got Ynoa, Davidson, De La Cruz, and Muller that can be used on the ATL/GWN shuttle - AND you've still got the Newk and Touki wildcards. Say the "conventional plan" is to spend up to $8 million on a SP. If you walk away from Jackson and Dayton, you free up another $3 million +/- to spend making the "shutdown pen" just flat scary. The $12 million you would've spent on SP/Melancon becomes $15 million. Could that get you Melancon, Greene, and two of Keone Kela/Joakim Soria/Yusmeiro Petit/Tommy Kahnle/etc. (with Webb being sent back to Gwinnett) to give you an all-but bulletproof pen? Then you've turned every game into a 6 inning game defensively while our offense gets to bat 9 times.

How on earth would opposing teams score late if Snitker could run Greene/Smith/Melancon out one night followed by Kahnle/Matzek/Martin the next and Soria or Petit/Minter/Kela the next?

Don't imagine that's been a consideration at all, but kinda fun to think about.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    What do people think AA is going to do? The most sound thing for value is to sit out the offseason and when the music stops on musical chairs, pick off the guys w/o options. There are likely to be very talented guys without a home.

I tend to think he'll go bold early and make a big move. Set the market and get the guy he wants. Then he'll settle in to trade talk and look to pick off left over guys for BP. I really wonder if he'll jump in on Springer early.

I also wonder if anyone signing a big multiyear deal would be willing to dramatically lower the next year's price. For example if Springer was willing to do 5/125, would be he willing to take 10 next year and 30 year 2, 3, and 4? Normally, no way, but maybe yes if that gets you the guaranteed dollars you want.
    s
    That may well be the initial plan, but I think it's going to depend on how the market as a whole unfolds. If the dominos start falling early, Anthopoulos may have to jump in quickly. But generally, I think he--and probably a lot of other GMs--would like to play the waiting game and fill in around the core with some bargains. That said, if there's no DH he may need to get in on one of the bigger bats sooner rather than later.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Braves were arguably the second best team in baseball this year. All the identifiable deficiencies were easily exposed. There is nothing to be gained by letting those missing pieces wait til it fits the agenda. The payroll is either there or it is not. That simple. Fill the voids and put the hammer down early next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Interesting article on Charlie Morton and TB turning down their option on him...

It points out that just through arbitration and contract increases they will be way over payroll they normally maintain. They could be a team wanting to cash out some arb players with control for almost ready prospects that could contribute down the line for some savings now. Now, I would never advise trading with them normally because they always seem to bend teams over, but it can help both teams I'd think if they get some payroll relief and we get a useful player with some control left. Was mainly thinking Renfroe but he doesn't help our platoon situation.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d take Morton in a second. I think it’ll be between us and the Rays for him. When do we think we’ll hear something on the DH?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Interesting article on Charlie Morton and TB turning down their option on him...

It points out that just through arbitration and contract increases they will be way over payroll they normally maintain. They could be a team wanting to cash out some arb players with control for almost ready prospects that could contribute down the line for some savings now. Now, I would never advise trading with them normally because they always seem to bend teams over, but it can help both teams I'd think if they get some payroll relief and we get a useful player with some control left. Was mainly thinking Renfroe but he doesn't help our platoon situation.
    Given his miserable 2020, does Renfroe help anyone's situation?

Looking at their roster in terms of arbitration-eligible guys, Wendle might be interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Given his miserable 2020, does Renfroe help anyone's situation?

Looking at their roster in terms of arbitration-eligible guys, Wendle might be interesting.
    I am not putting a TON of stock in 2020 performance. Hoping 2021 should be closer to career norms for most. The same reason I mention JD in Boston... coming off a down year in 60 game sample...can it be parlayed into a better value?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    JD Martinez carries way too much financial risk, even if we're sending Ender back. If his skills have indeed declined, you're stuck with an even worse player than Ender and you're on the hook for 19.5 million in 2022.

If the DH does stay for 2021, we need to find a 1 year guy. Santana (Carlos or Domingo), Zimmerman, Cron, Cespedes, or Encarnacion. Puig is also a possibility since we had interest last year, but I would imagine he'd be more likely to start in a corner OF spot than to be a full time DH.

I really hope Joc Pederson or Michael Brantley is a Brave in 2021. Those two just fit our needs perfectly as RHP mashers to platoon/dh with Duvall. I like Gregory Polanco or David Peralta as trade candidates for this role as well.

3b is more complicated. La Stella makes the most sense among FAs. Just wonder what he'll cost. I suppose Jake Lamb to platoon with Riley is an option too, but he's been pretty bad the last 3 years, even vs RHP. Lots of options via trade route depending on how much money we have available.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Mets just signed Jose Peraza , Mallex Smith, and Arodys Vizcaino be
    Get off my lawn!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-05-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Braves-lite over there

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-05-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Why would they do that. All are not good.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I take it these are minor league contracts.

I think Peraza has the most value of the three and if he can at least stand at shortstop for an inning here or there, he's a decent bench guy. Mallex has simply fallen off the planet and Vizcaino (who I really liked when healthy) is probably a longshot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Lot of talk today about Story going on the trade market. What would he cost as a 3rd base upgrade?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Lot of talk today about Story going on the trade market. What would he cost as a 3rd base upgrade?
    Not sure. If the ROckies offered Arenando for Ender right now, do you think AA has the money to take that deal?

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    You haven't been following the Mets much, have you?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-05-2020), Super (11-05-2020), Tapate50 (11-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Not sure. If the ROckies offered Arenando for Ender right now, do you think AA has the money to take that deal?
    Probably not unless Rockies threw in a ton of money and even then is would not do the Rockies much good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    DOB is conducting a Q&A over on the Athletic. As expected lots of questions on the off season moves coming up. Bottom line he is touting Ozuna as the DH and Duvall, Pache and Acuna in the OF for the 2021 OF. My question of posters here: Can Braves operate with a lineup that RH especially when Ozzie stumbles a bit when batting LH?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    DOB is conducting a Q&A over on the Athletic. As expected lots of questions on the off season moves coming up. Bottom line he is touting Ozuna as the DH and Duvall, Pache and Acuna in the OF for the 2021 OF. My question of posters here: Can Braves operate with a lineup that RH especially when Ozzie stumbles a bit when batting LH?
    I think they would have to look for a bargain-basement LHH OF or 3B to fill things out. I'm operating on the assumption that Ender is probably done (and I could easily be wrong). Not a ton of options out there in the FA market. I mentioned Wendle if the Rays are cutting loose arbitration-eligible guys as a possible trade target.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2020), PawPawMaxwell (11-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

They need to replace Ozuna and add a more effective LH bat. That could be a platoon like Pederson or a regular like Brantley or Seagar. Something more effective than Markakis and Inciarte.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They need to replace Ozuna and add a more effective LH bat. That could be a platoon like Pederson or a regular like Brantley or Seagar. Something more effective than Markakis and Inciarte.
    This is spot on.

After acquiring the JD/Ozuna replacement, AA needs to get the best LHH he can afford. Hopefully resources allow for something better than Markakis.

Oh, and the best reliable SP he can get too. Fill those 3 needs and the rest can be handled internally until the trade deadline.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-05-2020 at 03:49 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-05-2020), JohnAdcox (11-06-2020)