Page 37 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why would they do that. All are not good.
    You didn't really just ask why the Mutts would sign players that weren't good, did you???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Any hope to have Waters and Pache in the outfield next year opening day?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If I had to guess right now--and it's only a guess--Pache will be the opening day starter in CF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If I had to guess right now--and it's only a guess--Pache will be the opening day starter in CF.
    I'd hope thats a given based on what we saw from him in the playoffs. Small sample but you had to love how he looked like he belonged.

Of course there was no minor league season last year but I'm sure Waters got plenty of development.

We should go balls to wall for a DH and SP and let the kids play in the OF. There will be plenty of offense/defense to support what should be an incredible pitching staff (starters/pen).
    Natural Immunity Croc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I am sort of leaning towards upgrading our pen even more and just get a cheap starter to fill innings while we pitch the hundreds of pitchers we still control. Spend on DH/LHH OF platoon and maybe a platoon on infield.
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is spot on.

After acquiring the JD/Ozuna replacement, AA needs to get the best LHH he can afford. Hopefully resources allow for something better than Markakis.

Oh, and the best reliable SP he can get too. Fill those 3 needs and the rest can be handled internally until the trade deadline.
    Some talk on XM early this morning about the Mariners dumping Seager - as part of a discussion about EVERYBODY across the league looking to dump salaries (others mentioned were Arrenado, Bryant, and Schwarber). Steve Phillips and C. J, Nitkowski were kicking around bad contract swaps. They made it sound like the majority of teams are looking to unload money AT ALL COSTS. Assuming that's the case, I wonder just how much prospect capital AA would have to burn to make a deal involving Seager and Ender happen - and whether he'd do it? I still can't imagine they'd do it just to save the difference in salaries, but if it "only" costs a non Top 10 prospect, how fast do you pull the trigger?

That type of deal adds $9.3 million in 2021 payroll - but puts you in position to move Riley to LF and dump Duvall's money. Bring in a less-expensive platoon partner for Riley in LF like Josh Reddick (Sportrac pegs his market value at ~ $3.5 million). Adding Seager, Reddick, and Almonte as the 5th OF and dumping Duvall takes up ~ $13.8 million of the $25-$30 million we assume AA has to spend - roughly what everyone assumes Ozuna will get by himself. Riley platoons with Reddick and Seager (when he gets a day off), and Almonte becomes the 5th OF until Waters is ready. Bringing Melancon ($4 million), Flowers ($4 million), and Hechavarria ($1 million) back pushes that to ~ $23 million and leaves AA some money to spend on whatever veteran SP slips through the cracks.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Word is the Indians have informed teams they will move Lindor this offseason...
    Get off my lawn!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    And MLB is offering the MLBPA a trade off of sorts.

MLB will go to DH in NL if MLBPA will consent to an expanded PO.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Word is the Indians have informed teams they will move Lindor this offseason...
    That will be interesting. Curious to know if the Indians can get commensurate value given that Lindor is currently a rental and suitors may be reluctant to extend Lindor in this economic climate.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That will be interesting. Curious to know if the Indians can get commensurate value given that Lindor is currently a rental and suitors may be reluctant to extend Lindor in this economic climate.
    Definitely a bad time to trade him
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I liked the idea of adding Molina and Wainwright. They make a lot of sense for us, imo. I know this may sound a bit too old school, but I like the idea of adding good clubhouse guys so long as the also reasonably fill a need that we have. We need a good backup catcher and a veteran starter. So both those guys would be nice additions, imo.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Some talk on XM early this morning about the Mariners dumping Seager - as part of a discussion about EVERYBODY across the league looking to dump salaries (others mentioned were Arrenado, Bryant, and Schwarber). Steve Phillips and C. J, Nitkowski were kicking around bad contract swaps. They made it sound like the majority of teams are looking to unload money AT ALL COSTS. Assuming that's the case, I wonder just how much prospect capital AA would have to burn to make a deal involving Seager and Ender happen - and whether he'd do it? I still can't imagine they'd do it just to save the difference in salaries, but if it "only" costs a non Top 10 prospect, how fast do you pull the trigger?

That type of deal adds $9.3 million in 2021 payroll - but puts you in position to move Riley to LF and dump Duvall's money. Bring in a less-expensive platoon partner for Riley in LF like Josh Reddick (Sportrac pegs his market value at ~ $3.5 million). Adding Seager, Reddick, and Almonte as the 5th OF and dumping Duvall takes up ~ $13.8 million of the $25-$30 million we assume AA has to spend - roughly what everyone assumes Ozuna will get by himself. Riley platoons with Reddick and Seager (when he gets a day off), and Almonte becomes the 5th OF until Waters is ready. Bringing Melancon ($4 million), Flowers ($4 million), and Hechavarria ($1 million) back pushes that to ~ $23 million and leaves AA some money to spend on whatever veteran SP slips through the cracks.

Maybe I'm a delusional fan, but I think Inciarte for Seagar would be pretty close straight up.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I liked the idea of adding Molina and Wainwright. They make a lot of sense for us, imo. I know this may sound a bit too old school, but I like the idea of adding good clubhouse guys so long as the also reasonably fill a need that we have. We need a good backup catcher and a veteran starter. So both those guys would be nice additions, imo.
    Wouldn't mind Wainwright at all as a 4th/5th starter. If he and Molina are a package deal, no thanks to both.

On second thought, maybe if Molina would agree to two conditions.

1. Sign for $2 million or less.
    2. Stand in the batter's box sans bat for ten pitches from our hardest thrower at the beginning of spring training, live streamed for Braves fans to watch, as his penance for acting like such a whiny bïtch in the 2019 postseason.
    Last edited by DirkPiggler; 11-06-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    There is nothing more I would want less than for neck tattoo to become a brave. I would consider being a basketball fan or something if that happened.
    Coppy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (11-06-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Alex Cora is back with the Red Sox.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I am warming on Kyle Seagar IF they take Ender to help even out the money for 2021. I know his 2022 option becomes guaranteed in a trade, but I'm comfortable with a 2 year commitment.

What would a trade for Seagar look like if it included Ender you might ask. Well, it shouldn't be that much. Seagar barely has any positive trade value once you factor in the 2022 option is guaranteed. Ender has negative value, adding him to the deal improves the return for Seattle. Riley still has positive value, but it's hard to know exactly what that is. I assume it isn't enough in a return for Seagar. So likely have to add a decent arm to sweeten the deal. Maybe Weigel.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-06-2020 at 09:29 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Maybe I'm a delusional fan, but I think Inciarte for Seagar would be pretty close straight up.
    Not really.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    No, nobody is hoping for that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If AA has any money to spend there are going to be some amazing opportunities out there. The majority of MLB teams are going to be like post World Series title Marlins in fire sale mode.

Right now I’ll be happy if the Braves aren’t in fire sale mode themselves.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Maybe grasping at straws but I wonder if the Braves might not be in better shape than most teams money wise. A lot depends on what kind of crap Manford can dump but at least Liberty Media has to protect their investment in The Battery and Truist Park. Going into fire sale mode might be destructive to previous investments.