Page 45 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Saw this: http://Sportsbetting.ag has the #Braves with the best odds of landing George Springer if he doesn’t return to Astros.

Acuña RF-Freeman 1B-Springer LF-d’Arnaud C-Albies 2B-Swanson SS-Riley 3B-Pache CF or Acuña RF-Freeman 1B-Springer LF-d’Arnaud C-Albies 2B-Duvall DH-Swanson SS-Riley 3B-Pache CF would be fanastic.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Saw this: http://Sportsbetting.ag has the #Braves with the best odds of landing George Springer if he doesn’t return to Astros.

Acuña RF-Freeman 1B-Springer LF-d’Arnaud C-Albies 2B-Swanson SS-Riley 3B-Pache CF or Acuña RF-Freeman 1B-Springer LF-d’Arnaud C-Albies 2B-Duvall DH-Swanson SS-Riley 3B-Pache CF would be fanastic.
    Hot Stove has Ozuna coming back at even money. I havent heard or read anything else about Springer. IMO your lineups do nothing for the bottom of the order and I would bet that Duvall will never be a DH in MLB (at least not for a contender).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Hot Stove has Ozuna coming back at even money. I havent heard or read anything else about Springer. IMO your lineups do nothing for the bottom of the order and I would bet that Duvall will never be a DH in MLB (at least not for a contender).
    I'm not sure Atlanta has the funds to bring back Oznua or add Springer and do much for the bottom of the lineup; my guess is AA plays platoon advantages or hopes the hitters continue to develop.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    From MLBTR on Ozuna returning to the Braves.

Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos has mostly preferred to invest in pricey one-year contracts for veteran players (including Josh Donaldson, Dallas Keuchel, and Ozuna himself) in free agency, though Atlanta signed Will Smith to a three-year, $39MM deal last offseason. Ozuna’s next deal might be worth almost twice as much as it took to land Smith, but considering how Atlanta expects to be contending for the World Series, making the big investment to re-sign Ozuna might be deemed as worthwhile from the Braves’ perspective.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-13-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    It was a question and not a pipe dream. I see you are one who is in all likelyhood subject to insider info being from/in NY but there are lots of discussions and commentator info out there that NY may well go away from DJ and move Gleyber to 2nd.
    I don't have any inside info, just relaying what I hear in the news. Yankees love him and it's their priority above all else to bring him back. It's to the point they've floated traded Gleyber.

But this is the same thing every off season. We are never in the running for the top free agents, and Lameheiu is certainly among the most desirable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Im gonna put this up knowing I risk another massive missive from clv and his $120M payroll opinion.
    First, since this is the first time AA Braves team has progressed thru the playoffs, things have changed and will probably change more.
    Second, Consider what 2 more runs would have done in the 7th game of the NLCS TWO TWO runs.
    Third, Ponder on what would have happened if Soroka hadnt gotten hurt and forced Wright into a crucial situation. Not overlooking his crapping the bed, followed by 2 or 3 good starts, then falling on the sword again in the crucial game.
    Fourth and most important IMO, Forbes values the Braves at $1.8B (thats a B) and they have another $1.1B (another B) invested in the Battery and Truist. So please tell me how they protect those investments and the $1.4B in current profit in the Braves (cost of the Braves purchase-$400M). Certainly not by putting a bottom of the barrel team out there. I doubt the Braves ever become concerned about the luxury tax but if AA and Liberty can see a long term contender challenging for the WS every year, I wager they would pony up $150-$180M for payroll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Im gonna put this up knowing I risk another massive missive from clv and his $120M payroll opinion.
    First, since this is the first time AA Braves team has progressed thru the playoffs, things have changed and will probably change more.
    Second, Consider what 2 more runs would have done in the 7th game of the NLCS TWO TWO runs.
    Third, Ponder on what would have happened if Soroka hadnt gotten hurt and forced Wright into a crucial situation. Not overlooking his crapping the bed, followed by 2 or 3 good starts, then falling on the sword again in the crucial game.
    Fourth and most important IMO, Forbes values the Braves at $1.8B (thats a B) and they have another $1.1B (another B) invested in the Battery and Truist. So please tell me how they protect those investments and the $1.4B in current profit in the Braves (cost of the Braves purchase-$400M). Certainly not by putting a bottom of the barrel team out there. I doubt the Braves ever become concerned about the luxury tax but if AA and Liberty can see a long term contender challenging for the WS every year, I wager they would pony up $150-$180M for payroll.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Springer would be amazing. i'd feel so, so good about next year's team with him on it.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I don't have any inside info, just relaying what I hear in the news. Yankees love him and it's their priority above all else to bring him back. It's to the point they've floated traded Gleyber.

But this is the same thing every off season. We are never in the running for the top free agents, and Lameheiu is certainly among the most desirable.
    Sorry. Wrong use of word. Meant your location and access to local pundits. Lupica types.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    So you are saying if the Braves don't have a $150M-$180M payroll the season after a pandemic gutted the financials of the entire sport, they will be "putting a bottom barrel team out there"?

You'll wager they have a payroll that high? That makes the over/under $165M. Great, sign me up for that bet...what are your stakes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So you are saying if the Braves don't have a $150M-$180M payroll the season after a pandemic gutted the financials of the entire sport, they will be "putting a bottom barrel team out there"?

You'll wager they have a payroll that high? That makes the over/under $165M. Great, sign me up for that bet...what are your stakes?
    Surely you read better than that. However, I feel that if AA thinks they can be in a position to challenge for the WS again next year and Manfreds efforts pay off and the vaccine is forthcoming it is a distinct possibility that Braves will find enough money to fill the well known voids without scraping that barrel. So now, you tell me who you would pursue if you were AA and suddenly had permission to spend $150M.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I have this sinking feeling that Cohen is about to become mid-1970s George Steinbrenner and jack up the market rates for free agents in a year when no one wants to spend.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-13-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I have this sinking feeling that Cohen is about to become mid-1970s George Steinbrenner and jack up the market rates for free agents in a year when no one wants to spend.
    I think they outbid everyone for Realmuto, everyone else is hard to say. Springer and Bauer are probably the 2nd and 3rd best players on the market, then Ozuna. Not the best time to spend. Bauer depends if he's for real on the 1 year deal thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    when you post twice it doubles the chance of a massive missive (nice alliteration btw) from clv
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I think we'll just have to live with the bottom of the lineup being what it's gonna be if we make a big splash for a big bat. Not sure we can add a LHH outfielder, a SP, bullpen depth, and a cleanup hitter unless AA has more money to spend than we think or prices are cheaper than usual.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I think they outbid everyone for Realmuto, everyone else is hard to say. Springer and Bauer are probably the 2nd and 3rd best players on the market, then Ozuna. Not the best time to spend. Bauer depends if he's for real on the 1 year deal thing.
    The timing's just awful for everyone else though - Realmuto and Springer fill two major holes for them, they have more "stupid money" to spend than when Philadelphia wanted to go nuts, and Springer would be "coming home" to an extent.

Have pretty much resigned myself to the belief that they sign both. Stroman accepting the QO is a long-run blessing for them too IMO - if he and Syndergaard pitch well this season (and the Mutts suddenly become competitive), there's probably a legitimate chance that Cohen offers to extend one or both. If he chooses not to give them long-term deals, he can simply offer guys like Lynn a few million more than anyone else offers for a season or two, plus McCullers becomes a free-agent next winter too. Cohen certainly has enough money that he's not concerned about paying luxury tax penalties, and he sure talks like he won't mind paying them to build a winner.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-13-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Or the early 00's Mets where it still got them nothing.

The Mo Vaughn, Jeromy Burnitz, and Robbie Alomar Mets were amazing to watch.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Or the early 00's Mets where it still got them nothing.

The Mo Vaughn, Jeromy Burnitz, and Robbie Alomar Mets were amazing to watch.
    We can always hope!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The timing's just awful for everyone else though - Realmuto and Springer fill two major holes for them, they have more "stupid money" to spend than when Philadelphia wanted to go nuts, and Springer would be "coming home" to an extent.

Have pretty much resigned myself to the belief that they sign both. Stroman accepting the QO is a long-run blessing for them too IMO - if he and Syndergaard pitch well this season (and the Mutts suddenly become competitive), there's probably a legitimate chance that Cohen offers to extend one or both. If he chooses not to give them long-term deals, he can simply offer guys like Lynn a few million more than anyone else offers for a season or two, plus McCullers becomes a free-agent next winter too. Cohen certainly has enough money that he's not concerned about paying luxury tax penalties, and he sure talks like he won't mind paying them to build a winner.
    It seems like Cohen is willing to go through the luxury tax (which the Wilpons never were) but is also trying to build an organization. He's looking to beef up every aspect of the front office from scouting to analytics, because he admitted they were in the stone age compared to other teams. He even said in his opening press conference he'd be disappointed if they don't win the world series in 3-5 years.

Here's the thing though, I'm not sure the Mets are a couple of signings away from winning a world series. Their farm system is already rated one of the worst in the league. Their hitting last year was great but it was a bunch of butchers in the field. Their bullpen needs a lot of help. Their rotation needs help (Syndegaard is supposed to miss the first two months).

The Mets to me are in a weird spot. DeGrom is 33 next year. Conforto who finally broke out will be a free agent after next season. There's not much help left coming through the minors. So I'm not sure how they pull this off long term with just spending.
    Last edited by NYCBrave; 11-13-2020 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-14-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The Mets are trying to embrace analytics by rehiring the dinosaur named Alderson? And they plan to spend a ton of cash before they have their analytics in place?

Sounds very Mets to me already. Glad to see it happening.