Page 49 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    For those looking at the Cubs as the team looking to move bad contracts, try this one on...

Ender, Newk, and Touki for Schwarber.

Ender platoons with Hoerner in CF in 2021 while they're waiting for Brennen Davis to take over next season with Happ sliding over to LF (improving their defense substantially). Newk and Touki give them two cheap, controllable arms - whether for the rotation or the pen - so they can say they got SOMETHING for Schwarber rather than non-tendering him. The Braves get their platoon partner for Duvall WITHOUT increasing payroll (FanGraphs has Schwarber projected to make $8.155 million). Cubs' payroll doesn't increase (substantially anyway), so they can afford to hold onto Bryant to see if he bounces back and they can get something for him at the deadline. This also benefits the Braves since it gives us more time to evaluate whether Riley's adjustments are going to allow him to keep improving. If they don't and Bryant bounces back, you have the money to bid on him next winter since you didn't spend it on Ozuna or someone else this winter.

Sure that's a bit of an overpay, but adding the second arm is for taking Ender's money. You could probably get Bryant for the same type of offer NOW, but that doesn't help the 2021 payroll situation. If you could get Schwarber in that kind of salary-neutral deal, AA still has whatever amount is left after the Smyly signing to add the backup SS and C while bringing Melancon back AND a LH alternative to Riley. If there's enough money available to make a play for Ozuna/Springer/Brantley (like everyone hopes after signing Smyly), there would even be enough to add another veteran arm to compete for a rotation spot. If Duvall's platoon partner cost you nothing salary-wise, there's no reason to think that AA couldn't bring Melancon, Flowers, and Hechavarria back while adding one of Holt/Shaw/Moran, possibly even ANOTHER pen arm, and Mike Leake/Anibal Sanchez/Michael Fiers/King Felix with the money he has left.
    I don't hate it, but I think you'd have to give them an arm with a little more future value to get them to take Ender back.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-18-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Does nothing for the Cubs with their stated intentions of reducing payroll and improving roster. Touki is a maybe but the other 2 Braves would increase payroll for Cubs.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If we're dealing with the Cubs Kyle Hendricks would be atop my list. He's signed at a very doable 14M per for the next 3 years. His low BB rate has to be attractive to AA

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I feel pretty confident the Cubs would not do that trade. Schwarber likely has enough value to get back something decent without taking on any salary in return. And us adding 2 young but struggling pitchers isn't likely to move the needle.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If we're dealing with the Cubs Kyle Hendricks would be atop my list. He's signed at a very doable 14M per for the next 3 years. His low BB rate has to be attractive to AA
    You understand what types of prospects you'll have to give up for Hendricks, right?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I feel pretty confident the Cubs would not do that trade. Schwarber likely has enough value to get back something decent without taking on any salary in return. And us adding 2 young but struggling pitchers isn't likely to move the needle.
    It's certainly a stretch, no doubt. Just not sure how "decent" a return one season of Schwarber will net you. Can pretty easily make the argument that Rosario or Peralta would bring more since their defense isn't nearly as questionable and they can play every day.

If someone looks at Schwarber as their everyday answer in LF (or at DH) in 2021, maybe they give up more - if he's just the strong side of a platoon, why would you give up anything for him when you could just throw money at Pederson?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    As bad as I think clv's deal is there is a Cubs blogger that wrote that Ian Anderson AND Pache for Bryant would be a dream deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    As bad as I think clv's deal is there is a Cubs blogger that wrote that Ian Anderson AND Pache for Bryant would be a dream deal.
    Yes, I'm sure it would be.

Does Cubslandia not understand that Bryant is a fringe non-tender candidate?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...andidates.html

Some other interesting names on that list:

3B Shaw - career .803 OPS vs RHP
    LF Rosario - career .818 OPS vs RHP
    RF Mazara - career .781 OPS vs RHP
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-18-2020 at 02:32 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-18-2020), JohnAdcox (11-18-2020), salmagundy (11-19-2020), UNCBlue012 (11-19-2020)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    If the Braves are dealing with the Cubs, then I want Happ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    LMAO!

PASSAN: BREAKING: New York Mets second baseman Robinson Cano has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug and will be suspended for the entire 2021 season, sources familiar with the situation tell ESPN. He will forfeit a $24 million salary. News story will be up soon at ESPN.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-18-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    The big news there to me is that the Mets just freed up $24 million.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-18-2020), JohnAdcox (11-18-2020), Skeeter31 (11-18-2020), UNCBlue012 (11-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Yep. Terrible news.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-19-2020), Carp (11-18-2020), JohnAdcox (11-18-2020), Skeeter31 (11-18-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

You forgot Jace Peterson.

Seriously, some interesting back end of the rotation candidates on the list. Curious to see if the Braves sign one more starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Yep. That's actually a big break for them

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    It's certainly a stretch, no doubt. Just not sure how "decent" a return one season of Schwarber will net you. Can pretty easily make the argument that Rosario or Peralta would bring more since their defense isn't nearly as questionable and they can play every day.

If someone looks at Schwarber as their everyday answer in LF (or at DH) in 2021, maybe they give up more - if he's just the strong side of a platoon, why would you give up anything for him when you could just throw money at Pederson?
    Decent is subjective. I'm not saying he's gonna pull Waters or Langeliers or something outrageous. But he doesn't seem in any danger of getting non-tendered regardless, so he likely has positive value. I never said Rosario or Peralta would command less in a trade, so I'm not sure what relevance they have to the discussion. Pederson likely will cost quite a bit more in FA than what Schwarber is likely to make, so I imagine that would likely factor in such a decision.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-18-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Ozuna to Mets now I would guess with that money freed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Ozuna to Mets now I would guess with that money freed up.
    The thing about Cano is, he's still signed through 2023. 24 mil in 2022 and 2023. I believe Mariners cover a portion of that. So the Mets are still on the hook in the future even though they freed up some money this year.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I kinda feel like the team shouldn't be completely off the hook for the salary of a suspended player. It could lead to some shenanigans, maybe even sabotage, just to get out of a contract.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-18-2020), Super (11-19-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

That was the point of the fringy proposal (not that you were the one taking issue with the proposed deal).

The three you mention are legitimate non-tender candidates. Schwarber and Bryant are too albeit on lesser scales. The Jays, Twins, and White Sox have MLB-ready in-house replacements for Shaw, Rosario, and Mazara, so for them it's simply about allocating that money where it will do more good - they'll remain contenders if they use those funds to improve in other areas. Pretty sure everybody (including Jays fans) agrees that moving Vlad Jr. back or Bichette over to 3B isn't ideal, but if getting rid of Shaw's projected $5+ million pays half of what it would cost them to bring Simmons in to play SS does that make them better? The Twins can easily replace Rosario with Kirilloff/Rooker/maybe even Larnach - could that $10 million put them in position to bring back Odorizzi AND add Paxton? How much better would that make them?

The Cubs don't have in-house replacements for Bryant and Schwarber unless you believe David Bote and sliding Happ to LF with Almora or Roederer in CF are going to get you to the playoffs. The question becomes "are you better off with a couple of live arms for Schwarber"? There's no way he gets offered a QO, so you're not getting draft pick compensation if you keep him to play out the string in 2021. Even if you're not willing to take similar salary back to get a second arm in the deal, does anybody honestly believe keeping him this year wins the division for you?

The Indians are about to find out the same thing about Lindor that the Orioles learned about what kind of value one year of control of Machado was. $20 million for a year of what Bryant has provided over the last two years? Sure, I'll give you a few years worth of Newk or Touki - which one do you want?

Steamer projects Schwarber will put up a .239/.346/.499 line with 34 HRs over 131 games this year. Are you really going to give up much for him PLUS pay him $8 million to platoon with Duvall when the same system projects Pederson to put up a .248/.340/.501 line with 29 HRs over 122 games? That's cool, I'll keep the extra arms in case of injuries. After noticing Riley's Steamer projections, I don't think I'd even put him in a Bryant or Seager deal - spend that money where it can do more good - AA could bring in Pederson, Shaw, AND Melancon for what Bryant will make in 2021.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-18-2020 at 08:26 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Decent is subjective. I'm not saying he's gonna pull Waters or Langeliers or something outrageous. But he doesn't seem in any danger of getting non-tendered regardless, so he likely has positive value. I never said Rosario or Peralta would command less in a trade, so I'm not sure what relevance they have to the discussion. Pederson likely will cost quite a bit more in FA than what Schwarber is likely to make, so I imagine that would likely factor in such a decision.
    Certainly don't disagree. My point is that if Schwarber costs you $8 million plus anything other than a couple throw-in level prospects, I'll non-tender Jackson (or not spend extra money on the pen) while signing Pederson (or trading something marginal for Rosario if they're going to non-tender him) and keep the arms for depth. I'm just not convinced that Pederson gets more than the $9-$10 million FG and MLBTR project he's going to get.