Page 53 of 229 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 4572

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Bowman mentioned in the same article the Braves are interested in Kris Bryant.

A lot of indicators payroll may not come down, but this is obviously going to be contingent on the fan situation next year.
    With the way the region is growing I think there is a lot of incentive for the Braves to just be as good as possible right now even if they have to overspend as a percentage of total budgeted revenue. Lots of Brave fans to be won over out there and that will make its way right back into Liberties coffers.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    With the way the region is growing I think there is a lot of incentive for the Braves to just be as good as possible right now even if they have to overspend as a percentage of total budgeted revenue. Lots of Brave fans to be won over out there and that will make its way right back into Liberties coffers.
    As the old adage goes, have to spend money to make money. Will be a fascinating off season to figure out exactly how our ownership views the team. Either as simply just an investment for the purposes of a tax write off, or for something they genuinely feel they can rake in higher profits from.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Doubtful. A trade for Snell would hurt us a lot more than that. He's got 3 years/30 million left on his contract. They'd probably want a young major league ready player plus at least one or two top prospects. Plus it's the Rays, they always make a trade that ends up being good for them.
    The positive in dealing with the Rays is they value low end MLB players more than any other team with possible exception being the As. Guys like Wright and Touki would be valued more by the Rays than almost any other team.

My speculation is the Rays would love Touki and could develop him into an absolute stud. They would want a catcher. They would love Shewmake. They may value Riley, and probably covet the tools of Waters. I guess it would take 4 of those guys?

At that cost in prospects and cash I think I’d prefer Morton, but who knows what the Rays actually want for him. My guess is it ends up like the Archer talk that went on for years. The Rays don’t typically trade arms like Archer and Price this early.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-23-2020 at 09:28 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The positive in dealing with the Rays is they value low end MLB players more than any other team with possible exception being the As. Guys like Wright and Touki would be valued more by the Rays than almost any other team.

My speculation is the Rays would love Touki and could develop him into an absolute stud. They would want a catcher. They would love Shewmake. They may value Riley, and probably covet the tools of Waters. I guess it would take 4 of those guys?

At that cost in prospects and cash I think I’d prefer Morton, but who knows what the Rays actually want for him. My guess is it ends up like the Archer talk that went on for years. The Rays don’t typically trade arms like Archer and Price this early.
    Don't forget the Ray's usually cash out at the right time on players. If they are willing to trade Snell now there may be a good reason. He will be 28 next year. I'd be curious what his surplus value is projected to be over the last three years of his contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

If we want an ace this may be our best chance bc like you said they’ll value guys that others wouldn’t. If Waters, Touki, Shewmake, and Langliers got Snell I’d be all over it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If we want an ace this may be our best chance bc like you said they’ll value guys that others wouldn’t. If Waters, Touki, Shewmake, and Langliers got Snell I’d be all over it.
    What is snell? A 12 win guy over the next 3 years being paid $39M. Surplus value of about $70M?

The Rays don’t seem to trade pitchers with 3 years of control, so who knows. My guess is he doesn’t go anywhere and instead anchors their rotation in the 2021 playoffs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-23-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Doubtful. A trade for Snell would hurt us a lot more than that. He's got 3 years/30 million left on his contract. They'd probably want a young major league ready player plus at least one or two top prospects. Plus it's the Rays, they always make a trade that ends up being good for them.
    The Rays might have interest in Wright, Touki Wilson. One of the catchers, Waters.

You could put together something that might appeal to them, but watch out.

It is interesting another mentioned party was the Angels.

This is the cheap #2 starter trade that is often intimated, never consummated for the Braves.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Archer was exactly who came to mind but I guess Snell is better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I imagine the Rays ask for either Pache or Anderson in return for Snell. It's possible they could take a quantity over quality approach, but in the Archer trade they got both.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

At that level even I probably blink. I think I could swallow hard and be OK with giving up 3 of those guys. Wright/Touki, one of the Catchers, and Waters I could handle. Waters would obviously be the one that really hurt, but if payroll isn't going to be reduced as much as we worried it would be I think we'd be OK. Maybe you even consider a 3-4 year deal for someone like Rosario or Pederson this winter while salaries are going to be more reasonable than usual. As odd as it seems to say the one of those I'd probably want to keep the most would be Riley. We just don't have an easy - and inexpensive - replacement for him even with his issues if you trade Shewmake. Even if he doesn't take a step forward you can likely find a reasonably-priced partner for him. With a significant rotation upgrade maybe AA doesn't have to go overboard on offense and Riley/Shaw is enough to get you by.

Acuna's pending jump in salary, a potential Freeman extension, Fried's likely significant salary bumps over the next couple years PLUS $10 million per (or more) for a LF, AND money for someone to play 3B on top of $13 million per for Snell? As much as folks like to dream on Turner as an option at 3B I just don't realistically see him leaving LA, even if AA could find the money. Just seems like we'd quickly be in the same boat the Cubs are in and have to pick one or two important pieces to keep out of 4 or 5.

The "prudent" play is probably Morton as long as the money's there to also add Pederson/Rosario and Shaw if there's no DH - my worry is that AA goes overboard trying to overcompensate for the rotation crumbling last season. Fried's going to be a year better, Anderson has proven he can probably be your #3, Smyly is a huge upgrade (if healthy, of course), you're going to get Soroka back at some point, and there's at least a solid #5 between Wright and Wilson. As has been mentioned before, last season's patchwork group came within an eyelash - who knows what would have happened if you'd have gotten 3 or 4 starts from Soroka in October? If it comes down to an either/or between spending $12-$15 million on another SP or offense, give me Ozuna's defense in LF for one more year while holding onto Waters (non-tendering Duvall) and a platoon-mate for Riley just in case, and I'll keep hoping the improvements Wright and Wilson teased late hold up.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-24-2020 at 05:38 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Bowman mentioned in the same article the Braves are interested in Kris Bryant.

A lot of indicators payroll may not come down, but this is obviously going to be contingent on the fan situation next year.
    The problem with Bryant is that he's going to be looking for $200 million. Even if trading for him "only" costs Riley and an arm, AA can't make that deal for one year.

Just don't see how he could give Bryant the money he wants to stay and watch Freeman walk - someone would blow up his house.

In the unlikely event the Dodgers actually do trade for Lindor and move Seager to 3B, I wonder what it would take to get Rios from them?
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-24-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It's a whole lot to dream on, but if payroll is going to be in the $140 million range AA could conceivably...

1.) Bring Ozuna back (FG's 4 year/$70 million projection)
    2.) Add Morton for 1 year/$12 million
    3.) Add Shaw to platoon with Riley for 1 year/$4 million
    AND
    4. Bring Melancon back on a 1 year/$5 million deal

while holding onto EVERY BIT of depth. Maybe they expect that it's cheaper in the long run to maintain that type of payroll in 2021 because they fully expect that Wright/Wilson/Touki/Newk/Muller/etc. will be able to take over Morton and Smyly's rotation spots on the cheap for good in 2022 and that pushing in at that level this year gives them a legitimate shot at pushing past the Dodgers, who knows?

You'd then have $48 million coming off the books next winter (Morton/Smyly/Ender/Martin/Melancon/Shaw) to pay for a Freeman extension and raises for Acuna, Fried, Ozzie, Dansby, and Soroka without increasing payroll beyond that $140 million level.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-24-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    No surprise but Olney just confirmed Atlanta is indeed pursuing Morton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we get Morton then our rotation is gonna be nasty next year. I wish they’d decide something on the DH bc that’s why they are saying Ozuna switched agencies bc he was frustrated he wasn’t getting enough early offers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    If we get Morton then our rotation is gonna be nasty next year. I wish they’d decide something on the DH bc that’s why they are saying Ozuna switched agencies bc he was frustrated he wasn’t getting enough early offers.
    Cruz said he won't sign until they decide.

Ozuna would be smart to do the same. I'd prefer Ozuna on the 3 year plan.
    Ivermectin Man

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Passan just said the Braves and Morton are closing in on a deal for 1 year and 15 million!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Looks like AA isn’t getting payroll cut. Man this is freakin awesome news!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Passan just said the Braves and Morton are closing in on a deal for 1 year and 15 million!
    To verify Hudson2 report

From MLBTR

The Braves have agreed to a one-year contract with right-hander Charlie Morton, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports (via Twitter). It’ll guarantee the Jet Sports client $15MM for the 2021 campaign. ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported seconds prior that the two sides were close to an agreement. Feinsand adds that the Rays were the other finalist in Morton’s market.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Looks like most teams are basically in wait and see mode. We are utilizing this window.
    Ivermectin Man

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)