Page 23 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I've been an advocate for stretching Matzek out, but I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that Matzek likes the role he's in, and doesn't want to change it. For a guy with his history, I think that's worth giving credence.
    But damn... what a find/steal for us... I mean he's a legit nasty weapon.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    What about sign Paxton 1 year deal?
    This would be a good calculated risk, assuming it's not a big number or is dependent on performance incentives.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Marlins to pick up Marte's option for those who thought he could have been a target...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ing-marte.html
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Kinda wonder what a deal with the Pirates for Joe Musgrove and Colin Moran would have to look like. Gives you another really solid starter who's under control for two years and a platoon partner for Riley who's under control through 2023. You know Pittsburgh will be pinching pennies more than anyone this winter, and those two are due a total of $7.7 million based on MLBTR's projections.

Wouldn't likely leave AA enough money to chase Ozuna or any other big names to DH, but would probably leave enough room to bring one of Melancon or Greene back and sign Pederson to platoon with Duvall. One of Riley or Duvall would have to DH against RH starters, but if Snitker "rode the hot hand" between those two and CF was your weakest offensive spot that's not bad at all. The rotation would be worlds better than it was for most of 2020 with Wilson and Wright competing for the #5 slot whenever Soroka's ready to go.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I've been an advocate for stretching Matzek out, but I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that Matzek likes the role he's in, and doesn't want to change it. For a guy with his history, I think that's worth giving credence.
    I was high on Matzek when he was drafted. He got such ****ty coaching in the minors they had to bring in his high school coach to reteach him his delivery. He doesnt have consistent enough control to be a starter but I would love to see him used more as a multi inning reliever.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Braves have very little in the way of trade chips at this point unless you want to move some of the excess pitching prospects. If it was me I would wait as long as possible to see what Bryants deal will be. Bryant can play LF, DH and 3rd. That would maybe allow Riley to go back to AAA and see if he can find his way back. Too early to give up on him IMO. Soroka coming back, Anderson should get better, Wilson coming along. Pitching future looks promising to say the least.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Braves collection of aaaa arms might be attractive to some looking to cost cut but have some upside play.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Braves collection of aaaa arms might be attractive to some looking to cost cut but have some upside play.
    We can bill Wilson as Big Game Bryce

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    What’s with the excessive moderation and n this board? Is this 2004 on scout.com?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I wonder how teams will view Ozuna. He just had a career year in a short season. He’s a good player but I’m not convinced his value will have gone up as much as some think. 60 games is very different from 162 and I don’t think he’ll be valued like an elite guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    What’s with the excessive moderation and n this board? Is this 2004 on scout.com?
    What even do you keep talking about?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    I wonder how teams will view Ozuna. He just had a career year in a short season. He’s a good player but I’m not convinced his value will have gone up as much as some think. 60 games is very different from 162 and I don’t think he’ll be valued like an elite guy.

Just depends on his market, I would guess.

Betting on a career year from a player that all but confirmed his best use is as a DH, might be off-putting to clubs that are worried about finances.

We'll get an education on the current economics this winter, I suppose. I'm kind of looking forward to the national writers shifting their attention to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Betting on a career year from a player that all but confirmed his best use is as a DH, might be off-putting to clubs that are worried about finances.

We'll get an education on the current economics this winter, I suppose. I'm kind of looking forward to the national writers shifting their attention to that.
    Quick answer: What NL teams had poor production from their DH this year and how much money do those teams have to spend? Pretty sure the DH will continue given a concession early by MLB would ease negotiations with new CBA forthcoming.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Quick answer: What NL teams had poor production from their DH this year and how much money do those teams have to spend? Pretty sure the DH will continue given a concession early by MLB would ease negotiations with new CBA forthcoming.

I guess to start every team in our division could use him. Just not sure how likely that will be their focus.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    The market for a guy like Ozuna should be pretty popular. Especially if the DH stays in the NL. He can play left field if needed and had a monster year. Like others have said it all depends on what sort of payrolls teams have next year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Not sure how his market would be weakened - even with current market conditions.

Whether or not the universal DH is here to stay will have some effect, but the talk about "small sample size" probably won't. It's not like his almost Triple Crown came about because of a couple of hot weeks - or even a hot month. The "worst" of the two plus months was August - .276/.351/.500 with 6 HRs and 19 RBIs - so if you tone down the hotter periods he was still on pace to hit 35 bombs and drive in 100+.

He has pretty well established himself as an elite hitter even if he doesn't play defense - think Edgar/Big Papi/Cruz - and a 4 year guaranteed deal won't even take him into his late-30s. There are only 4 other serious bats out there this winter (Cruz, Brantley, Springer, and LeMahieu) and two of them aren't likely going anywhere leaving everyone looking for an impact bat to chase Ozuna, Springer, or Brantley.

The pandemic couldn't possibly have come at a worse time for the Braves - Ozuna looks like a clubhouse cornerstone as well as the perfect Robin to Freddie's Batman - but I just don't see how AA can possibly come up with the funds to re-sign him unless Liberty suddenly shocks the world by not significantly reducing 2021 payroll. Donaldson matched or surpassed Ozuna from a production standpoint, but I think the vast majority of people will agree that Ozuna's a much better fit from a personality and age standpoint (at least based on what we can see on TV).

I guess we can all just hope enough Liberty investors watched games over the last few weeks that can be persuaded to keep payroll at a level high enough to squeeze him in if AA doesn't bring in another SP like Hamels and he saves significant money by letting Melancon/Greene/Folty/Jackson/Camargo walk with a promise to do everything in his power to unload as much of Ender's money as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Cleveland plain dealer article saying Carlos Carrasco is likely trade candidate for young OFers. Any interest? Waters too much to give up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Could be another super slow FA period with lots of cries of collusion if teams back up payroll a ton.

Really hope it isn't.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-21-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Cleveland plain dealer article saying Carlos Carrasco is likely trade candidate for young OFers. Any interest? Waters too much to give up?
    Yes. Unless they'll take Ender back too.

AA has already started trying to let fans down softly and trying to explain that we can't bring Ozuna back because of the financial hit the organization took in 2020. Trading the only almost-ready prospect with serious offensive upside for a SP making $38 million over the next 3 years doesn't seem to make much sense when you're already telling people you can't pay Ozuna $50-$60 million over the same period to play every day.

Don't misunderstand - it's not about a Carrasco trade being "bad" (or even Waters for him being a bad value) - it's simply economics. If you weren't going to trade Waters and others for the younger and cheaper Clevinger at the deadline, how can you afford to trade him for the more expensive Carrasco now? Dansby's getting a $5 million raise, Acuna's getting a $4 million raise, Fried's getting a $4 million raise, Duvall's getting a $3.8 million raise, Ozzie's getting a $2 million raise. There goes every bit of your Hamels savings.

How are you going to try to replace the offense you're losing in Ozuna with the money that would be left - particularly with so few bats available?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think it's too much. But I'm high on Waters.

To me a lot of it depends on FA. I wouldn't want to give up Waters. But if for some reason they land a guy like Springer, then maybe you look to move a blocked Waters for a cost controlled, impact starter.