Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Remaining decisions

1) Newcomb v Dayton for the last pen spot

2) Camargo v Adrianza

3) PANDA v Lamb v Kipnis for 2 bench spots

4) AJax v Contreras

5) Pache v Ervin for 4th outfield spot

I know almost everyone here is assuming that Pache will make the team, but I think he might be sent down for a month or so until he gets going with the bat. Ervin would play right against LHP, with Acuna moving to center.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-26-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Hopefully we carry Jackson and get that extra year with William.

He's going to be a really good hitting catcher.

Agree on Pache as well. I want that extra year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Remaining decisions

1) Newcomb v Dayton for the last pen spot

2) Camargo v Adrianza

3) PANDA v Lamb v Kipnis for 2 bench spots

4) AJax v Contreras

5) Pache v Ervin for 4th outfield spot

I know almost everyone here is assuming that Pache will make the team, but I think he might be sent down for a month or so until he gets going with the bat. Ervin would play right against LHP, with Acuna moving to center.
    I think Adrianza has made the team. I would move Camargo down to (3) so it's four guys for two positions.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I would say that Panda makes the OD roster along with Adrainza leaving Lamb, Kipnis and Camargo for 1 position.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Bryse Wilson options to alternate site. But the Braves have announced they will not use a 5th starter until 2nd time through rotation. So obviously the spot is his.
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I know who makes the opening day roster is important, but it will likely change during the first two weeks, and several times by the end of the first month. A few of these guys will be let go, but most will just go to AAA and come back when needed. There will be guys on the roster who are not in the organization right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    I would say that Panda makes the OD roster along with Adrainza leaving Lamb, Kipnis and Camargo for 1 position.
    PANDA being a switch hitter is YUGE. Plus he's had a better spring than the other guys.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Man I really thought we would at least get 1 bat for the bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Man I really thought we would at least get 1 bat for the bench
    PANDA

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Braves have selected the contracts of Nate Jones and Ehire Adrianza....Almonte cleared waivers and been assigned to the alternate training site. Touki placed on the 60 day IL with a throwing shoulder strain, not good
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Braves have selected the contracts of Nate Jones and Ehire Adrianza....Almonte cleared waivers and been assigned to the alternate training site. Touki placed on the 60 day IL with a throwing shoulder strain, not good
    Damn on touki

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Panda's the only guy in the running for one of the bench positions (I am assuming Adrianza has made the team in this scenario) that has shown anything with the bat this spring. If it boils down to Camargo, Lamb, and Kipnis for the last spot and Snitker picks Camargo, I can already hear the complaining that "Snit went with one of his guys."

To be clear, I won't blame Snitker if that's the choice he makes. I think the blame, if this truly rises to the level where blame should be assigned, clearly falls on Anthopoulos for not being more aggressive looking for another solid bench player. Miller and Cabrera were out there and signed for reasonable contracts. Anthopoulos' overall grade has been very good, but he really flunked this spot quiz.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    So that leaves Camargo, Panda, Lamb, and Kipnis fighting for for 2 spots.

I think Panda has one of those spots locked.

The other 3 have shown little to nothing so that decision should be a coin flip.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    The #Braves today selected the contract of INF Pablo Sandoval, designated OF Phillip Ervin for assignment, and released INF Jason Kipnis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Hope we can hold on to Ervin.

Lamb v Camargo for last spot on bench. Might keep both for now given we have an extra spot to play with until the 5th starter is activated.

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    So that leaves Camargo, Panda, Lamb, and Kipnis fighting for for 2 spots.

I think Panda has one of those spots locked.

The other 3 have shown little to nothing so that decision should be a coin flip.
    Like him or not and take all the shots at him you like, he probably needs to get one of the available spots. You want SOMEONE coming off the bench that can hit, and he can still do that. Having someone with power in that role is certainly a plus, but you want someone that can keep the line moving if you start a late rally and Adrianza isn't going to keep this up - he's mainly there to be the backup MI. Lamb's too much all or nothing, and we know Camargo simply isn't a threat.

Kipnis isn't much of an option IMO since he's really only going to be a backup at 2B - people want to think he could play a little 3B and possibly in LF, but if they thought his defense was even passable at those positions we'd probably have seen him get some game reps there by now. Instead, we've seen Riley play some OF with Lamb, Camargo, or Panda at 3B.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Hope we can hold on to Ervin.

Lamb v Camargo for last spot on bench. Might keep both for now given we have an extra spot to play with until the 5th starter is activated.
    Would just as soon carry both Newk and Dayton for the first ten days - let's finally move on from Camargo please.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Like him or not and take all the shots at him you like, he probably needs to get one of the available spots. You want SOMEONE coming off the bench that can hit, and he can still do that. Having someone with power in that role is certainly a plus, but you want someone that can keep the line moving if you start a late rally and Adrianza isn't going to keep this up - he's mainly there to be the backup MI. Lamb's too much all or nothing, and we know Camargo simply isn't a threat.

Kipnis isn't much of an option IMO since he's really only going to be a backup at 2B - people want to think he could play a little 3B and possibly in LF, but if they thought his defense was even passable at those positions we'd probably have seen him get some game reps there by now. Instead, we've seen Riley play some OF with Lamb, Camargo, or Panda at 3B.
    Bingo and that's why he's out of work and likely close to unemployable at the major league level anymore. Kipnis was a pretty solid player in his peak years, but he's a guy who really has to be a starter at his only position to have value. Maybe the Braves put him at other positions on the back fields and saw he had no positional flexibility, which really wrote the obit.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-27-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Bingo and that's why he's out of work and likely close to unemployable at the major league level anymore. Kipnis was a pretty solid player in his peak years, but he's a guy who really has to be a starter at his only position to have value. Maybe the Braves put him at other positions on the back fields and saw he had no positional flexibility, which really wrote the obit.
    I'd even think he might have been an option if there had been a DH this year - he or Lamb could have been the LH options to give Ozuna a blow with Riley moving to LF, but being able to at least fake it at multiple defensive positions is important without that extra spot in the order for a pure bat guy. Lamb, Panda, and Adrianza are at least LH compliments to Riley - Kipnis just wasn't.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-27-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'd even think he might have been an option if there had been a DH this year - he or Lamb could have been the LH options to give Ozuna a blow with Riley moving to LF, but being able to at least fake it at multiple defensive positions is important without that extra spot in the order for a pure bat guy. Lamb, Panda, and Adrianza are at least LH compliments to Riley - Kipnis just wasn't.
    Good point on the lack of the DH. As they say about a lot of players "He (Kipnis in this case) plays bat." If he's not good enough to get regular ABs, he's not worth a whole lot.